Eating Minnows?

ch312

ive been thinking about this for quite a while but havent asked anyone about it so i figured this would be a great place to ask.

does anyone eat minnows here? im talking about the 2" long shiners that are all over everywhere now. i have eaten capelin from nfld. that were smoked whole with guts and all and they taste great so i wouldnt be scared of eating a little cooked minnow guts. im thinking that there cant be any health risks because they are so low on the food chain and larger fish would have more toxins.

i was thinking about netting some, rinsing in salt water to help remove some slime and then tossing them in fish crisp and then pan frying them. im thinking that not many (nobody?) eats them because it would be too time consuming to gut each minnow so nobody bothers.

has anyone tried eating cooked shiners? they cant be that much different then smelt can they?

A relative of mine and his buddy ate a few one day when they were out fishing. This was after they had polished of a half a bottle of Jack Daniels and Case of Beer in rather quick order. I do know that the minnow was alive and he was flapping around for while according to the guy who ate it. Never Puked

They are better served alive. Bring some wasabi with you to make it taste even better. Ask Rich, he does it all the time and even had some pic posted.

But then if you know Rich and his speical way of giggling... that may have something to do with eating minnows...

If your going to eat minnows I would highly recomend putting them in a brine for 4 hours and then place in a smoker for about 3 to 4 hours....Serve with cream cheese and crackers....This would be beer drinking food so make shure to have at least half a dozen cold ones in the fridge........per person :P

Cheers !!!

Only chance I had to eat them was when I was in Hawail at a friends relatives I ate everything served except you guessed it the bowl of minnows.

We have all had the goal fish conversation with our buddies first the drinking then comes the dares........................NOT!

I feed them to my walleyes thats it.Or maybe BITEME next time he falls asleep in the cabin. :thumbsup_anim:

Wow I seen alot, and worse...Maybe? a bunch of us Army guys are Smoking and Joking during a rain storm and one of the guys (attention seeker) betted us that he would pick up worms off the road(ashfault) and eat it. No Problems he downed 1,2,3,4. (we're bored now) Butt!!!!!!! His Girlfriend (shes a looker) drives up and gives him his lunch. EWWWW they swap spit. hes married to her and is still Serving

Point is YEA you can eat them- but BOIL them first. other wise from my experience, they do not taste good

Im with doug on the parasite thing ... too many years in Marine Biology ... too many willies making their way to too many parts of the anatomy in the various stages of their life cycle .. and no more sushi for me ... EVER .... PERIOD ... there's a reason the cave man made a quest for fire :)

Edited by camillj

Once I had a campfire going, and I had a bucket of minnow close by coz I was planning on some fishing. Two of them jumped outta bucket and landed into the fire.... MAN they smell good~! Never had them though (dead or alive).... I can imagine serving them as fish fries :P