Boat Size

Thanks for everyone here for helping me make up my mind on outboard motor brands (I promise not to open that can of worms again). Can't decide what size tinny to get, either a 14 or 16 foot. One thing I don't know is if the 14 footer is easier to launch or trailer when compared to the 16 footer. Any thoughts?

personally I say go for bigger. When I bought my first boat 20 years ago as a kid (21) the guy I bought from warned me saying once you own a boat you are always wanting a bigger better one. He was right and now 4 boats later guess what I am wanting a bigger faster boat yet again.

Back to your question there is minimal difference lauching and trailing a 14 or 16. If price is not a factor I say go for the 16 because if you don't you will wish you did.

Exactly Stoty. But consider where you are storing said boat and how much room you have for it. 2 feet could make the difference between getting it in a garage or not.

Excellent point! I must have measured the garage a dozen times. I have the room for either. Nothing bigger than a 16 mind you. The 16 has the same hull, width, depth, etc., but has a bit more length.

Don't forget the motor and tongue length.

Sometimes tongue length can be the deciding factor and make all the difference.

Or you can do what a guy did by my house...CUT OUT a square of his garage door, and has the tounge sticking out of it!!

HAHAHAHA

I am waiting to drive by one day and see a HUGE hole in the garage, from when someone hooked up to his boat, and drove it away!

Two of the things I took into account were:

- Will it fit in my garage....my 14 footer just fits in my single car garage. A 16 footer may fit in but I'd need a swing away tongue

- What can my vehicle tow? Alum is lighter than fiberglass....bigger boat may mean bigger motor etc...

I had a 14 footer for 13 years. When my family outgrew the 14 I went looking for a 16 footer. There are SOOO many 14's out there but most people don't get rid of their 16's. I ended up buying a new one.

Second best thing I ever did!! 1st would be marrying my wife(it was HER idea....to get the 16 that is)

It is so much more stable and a real joy to fish out of. It is actually shorter in total length than my 14 was because the trailer tongue was so long and this one even has a swing tongue. I actually have so much more room in the garage.

Go for the 16. You won't regret it!!

FT

I had a 14 for years.....great little boat......BUT....now I have a 16 deep and wide and can't believe I went all those years with the 14fter. The width, depth and stability doesn't even compare. If its in the budget, get the deep and wide........there is a BIG difference!!!

No difference in towing.....I still don't even know its on there.

Sinker

Can I get the swing tongue mounted after-market? Or can I buy a trailer with a swing tongue before buying the boat? I don't think it's an option with the dealer.

Yes, and yes.

My 14ft trailer and my 16ft trailer are no different in length though.....if that helps you any. The boat is wider and longer, but the trailers were the same. I just slid the winch forward and bobs your uncle.

Sinker

Most importently, go W I D E for comfort. If you're going with a tinny with benches, a 16' usually has an extra bench which is often a nuisanse - just another obstacle to climb over. If you're going with a flat floor and pedestal seats.. 16' all the way!

Launching a 14' or 16' won't be much different. A 14' and under is ideal for a car topper but if you're trailering, size is not an issue.

Last year I saw a 14' Harbercraft with an 84" beam.... unreal! It would make most 16'ers feel small. If you can find one of those, you'll fall in love.

-Brian

Can I get the swing tongue mounted after-market? Or can I buy a trailer with a swing tongue before buying the boat? I don't think it's an option with the dealer.

A swing tongue is not an option? Why?

Everyone seems to be talking length (and a few width) what about midship depth?

A clear deck like the Lund WC-dlx series is nice too...heavier but nice. I would certainly like to be able to rip the bench seats out of my ssv-16 (still waiting to get the boat out never mind the bench seats)

I have a 20ft garage, no swing tongue. I thought it would fit easy. I had to winch the boat way up on the trailer (which means I have to put it back for trailering), take the ball socket off and angle the trailer a bit. all in all not a huge deal but I will want to be fixing the situation.

forrest

What brand are you looking to buy? From what I have researched Legend seem to have the best pricing,(only Tracker and Legend have list prices) width and depth,thicker hulls, and highest recommend horsepowers then most other brands.(16ft and14ft wide/deep utilities) Now when it comes to quality I can't comment on that, but many others own Legends and seem to be very happy with them. Good luck with whatever you get!

http://www.legendboats.com/

As somebody already said, the trailer might not make much of a difference. When I was looking for my 14 foot boat I had the same concerns (small garage) and I was informed by a number of marinas that 14's and 16's are often on the same trailer (although I guess the 16 footer would hang further off the back!). I bought the 14 footer because I was towing with a celica. Now that that car is gone, I'll be looking for a 16 foot boat as soon as the budget (and wife) will allow.