Lure wash on Georgian Bay May 6th 2008

Got out today with my youngest (20) and her boyfriend. We launched out of Midland Harbour around 9:30 this morning and came in about 5:30PM

may62008001.jpg

Target was Lakers again and the possible chance of a salmon... but it wasn't to be.

may62008002.jpg

Took to the bigger water out around Thunder Beach/Christian Island and trolled and trolled. Flat lines.. gang trolls...deep divers....downriggers down... had two knock offs but no fish. One thing I've gotta say... I was reluctant to go to Electric Downriggers as the manuals where good exercise... but I'll tell ya.. you sure do switch baits more often thru the day to attempt to find the right colour/bait compared to manuals where you leave it on 'till it pops!

may62008003.jpg

We marked fish of various sizes all day... ran the spoons and cannon balls right thru them.. nadda.

may62008004.jpg

Some nice realestate out that way... I believe this one belongs to the CEO of Kelloggs ceral.

may62008005.jpg

Flash back.... thought I was on BOQ for a minute ! LOL

may62008006.jpg

PLEASE !! Don't anyone on this forum attempt fishing out here in a 12 or 14 foot boat without full knowledge of wind patterns on the bay. This is the calmest I've ever seen it out here... 2 to 3 foot rollers. On the way back in it appeared flat calm as we tidied up the boat... and then plowed through a couple LONG 6 foot rollers coming in between Beckwith and Giants Tomb.

may62008007.jpg

Came home with just enough time to get my 2nd last customer into the air at 7PM. Hopefully I can get the last guy out on Thursday so I can be set free for the summer.

may62008008.jpg

may62008009.jpg

sorry about your luck. Heard that alot recently. Loads of fish marking and none taking. I might fish some walleye on the bay on Friday after school is out. We'll see. i might launch in Penetang and make a run to port severn. We'll see.

Water is still cold.... only 43F out there.

Why would you launch in Penetang to go to Port Severn? Penetang charges to use the ramp.. you can launch for free in Midland and also save 7 miles of travel. HWY 93 thru Midland (past the mall etc).. down the hill and turn RIGHT at the lights onto Vinden St. Follow to lights and turn LEFT onto Sunnyside Drive. Take next right and in around the apartment building they are erecting. Pete Peterson Park. Free to launch...supposed to have sticker to park there.. but don't suspect anyone is checking this early in the season.

Edited by irishfield

Really 3 foot rollers on a calm Day did you go out much with the Glastron.

Mike the Glastron was never bought to be a GBay boat. I had a 26 foot Searay.. full cabin for Georgian Bay and I put waves over it's windshield! Not spray... the whole roller !

Edited by irishfield

Water is still cold.... only 43F out there.

Why would you launch in Penetang to go to Port Severn? Penetang charges to use the ramp.. you can launch for free in Midland and also save 7 miles of travel. HWY 93 thru Midland (past the mall etc).. down the hill and turn RIGHT at the lights onto Vinden St. Follow to lights and turn LEFT onto Sunnyside Drive. Take next right and in around the apartment building they are erecting. Pete Peterson Park. Free to launch...supposed to have sticker to park there.. but don't suspect anyone is checking this early in the season.

It is my friend's boat. He has a lauch pass at P-town and is closer to his house. Boat ride is not a big deal 20ft bass boat with a 225 merc (always fast and alwasy wet through the gap). I have lauched with him at Midland launch but he like s Penetang launch. I still need the go ahead from the wife so there is a good chance that is moght not even go ahead.

43F is cold. wow.

Edited by Cudz

Wow, still no luck out there eh Wayne? Water temp hasn't come up much at all I guess. Oldman and I are heading out towards Marshall/Potato Island to see if we can pick up some shallow water pike this weekend, unless you know of another place I should check out instead :)

Looks like you were fishing in my neck of the woods. cottage is just south of cedar point. looks like you covered all the typical areas for lakers, northern tip of beckwith and SW tip has always been a hot spot for me for lakers spring summer and fall. also NW of christian shoal in 200fow comes up to 90ft, always holds lakers. sometimes if im hugging the shorline and along marks point, cedar point or methodist and nothings happening ill switch sides of the channel and fish the shorlines around the islands, sometimes it seems to work. ill be out this weekend same area just as you were hoping to hook anything that mayb e interested in biting. the guy with the cottage is a real nice english speaking guy, owns a gorgeous cat style boat for rigging.

krawler

Krawler marked some good fish on the S/E corner of Beckwith..all the way along the east shore up to the mouring beach in the center... from where we headed home. Also marked some good fish on the shoal point west of the ferry dock.. but nothing interested.

You still trying to catch a fish Wayne? :whistling:

I've heard a stick of dynamite up river of a large net,

stretched across from shore to shore works well.

If anyone gives you a hard time, just keep repeating,

It's O.K. it's O.K., with a heavy accent

and pretend not to know what you're doing is illegal.

Who says ignorance of the law is no excuse ?

Seems to work for others. :rolleyes:

Hey, good for you. At least you were out there trying.

You certainly can't expect to catch anything without a line in the water.

Sooner or later the bite will turn in your favour. Hopefully sooner. ;)

I'm sure you'll pick up some fish @ the cottage.

When does laker season open up there?

Regardless. I wish you all the best luck.

cheers

Remo