Compact Cars

Just wondering what type of MPG you guys and gals with 4 cyl. cars are getting.

I drive to my trailer every weekend from May to October add to that a boat and tow vehicle when I tow I think it`s coming time to look at saving a few bucks on gas.

What 4 banger are you driving and what kind of MPG are you getting?

Thanks

MPG --> come on !!! we're Canadian L / 100 km

Ya but the standard system still makes more sense to many of us and it is easy for some to relate what is good gas mileage and what isn't. The only good thing about expressing it in metric is that there is no guessing if one is talking about miles per imperial gallon or US gallon.

2002 Chev Cavalier 2.2 l 4 cylinder, get around 35 to 38 mpg combined.

As for Tybo's diesel, that is 31 mpg and I know alot of people who own diesels and they get no where that kind of mileage. 15 to 24 mpg is the best I have ever heard for a diesel other than the old 6.2l Chevy diesel.

Edited by JohnAB

My expedition does 9 city 16 hwy fully loaded..

My 1976 f-150 4x4 4spd does 8mpg..period.... does 8 mpg while towing a bulldozer... doesn't matter. That about as compact as I'll ever get.

I'm glad I don't have to commute everyday.

My wife has a 2006 Ford Focus that does 32 -35 mpg average.

97 GM sonoma pick-up 4 banger with a 5 speed.

around 60 bucks to fill up at $1.20

I get about 750kms on the highway.

Dont ask it to tow anything though, it barely hauls my lard-ass up small inclines.

2005 Honda Civic Sedan Automatic 1.7L

Gas tank is 50L

Fill up at Low Fuel light is right 40L~40.9L

Personal best with 40L was 630Km. +/- few Kilometers (Drove until light came on)

Depending on how I drove, typical average anywhere from 480Km to 530Km / 40L.

Very very rarely I get over 600Km with 40L.

In case of ...

480Km/40L, 8.3L/100Km (21.33 MPG)

550Km/40L, 7.27L/100Km (24.35 MPG)

600Km/40L, 6.7L/100Km (26.42 MPG)

(Not sure if I did the MPG conversion properly)

Following is the Honda's spec. ( I guess this is based on full gas tank of 50L)

Fuel consumption

City: 7.5 L/100 km (38 mpg)

Hwy: 5.7 L/100 km (50 mpg)

Wow... real world fuel economy sucks compare to manufacturer spec. (obviously)

Edited by mikeymikey

My company car is a 2005 Malibu Maxx with a 3.5L V-6.

I'm surprised by some of the poor mileage on some of the smaller cars such as Doug's Mazda. With the warmer weather (and a new air filter), I'm getting about 7.8L/100km with the same approx highway/city split. This is with over 200hp under the hood, a much bigger car and loaded up with my work tools.

Don't go running out and buy one though, the car has had too many problems to list (mostly steering related), but I think GM has a winner with this 3.5L V-6 drivetrain engine and tranny have had no work done at almost 135,000 km (and goes like snot, but mileage is definetely related to foot weight).

My 2007 Kia Sportage 4cyl 5 speed gets me about 30-33mpg on average going back and forth to work. My VW Golf Diesel used to get me close to 50mpg. Steve's new 2008 Toyota Camry is getting about 40mpg on average so far and isn't broken in yet, it's also a 5 speed.

Maureen

99.5 VW Jetta TDI.

I've seen a best of 57MPG US, my average would most likely be around 48-50MPG.

Car has 458,000km's on it and there are no signs of it stopping anytime soon. (All engine internals, turbo, etc etc are original)

okay 2004 honda civic 60% city and 40% highway, i have a light foot. I get 400km on 42L tank very bad. About 10.5L/100km

That is pretty bad 27 MPG for a 4 banger compact is terrible. Right now my daily driver is a 2006 Buick Allure V6 and I get 30 MPG combined and my truck is a 2007 Dodge Durango V8 and I can nurse 21 MPG on the Hwy out of it.

I would not consider buying a compact unless I could get a minimum of 40MPG out of it.

Like Jer said I am surprised by some of the poor gas mileage that some of the small cars are getting maybe a combination of driving habits and misleading ratings from the manufactures.