Maiden Voyage w/ The Pontoon

My fiance bought me an electric motor for the modified pontoon boat as a birthday gift, so this morning I decided to head out after panfish. My target fish were big bluegill with hopes of stumbling upon some crappie.

Despite last nights insane lightning storm it still turned out to be a decent morning.

gallery_133_237_71620.jpg

The boat ran smooth and sturdy - better than I'd hoped. Man it feels good to fish with a little comfort again.

gallery_133_237_89214.jpg

First stop was my bluegill spots, really sort of the same spots you'd look for crappie in the spring, back bays and

sunken tree's. It was tough to find my main sunken tree's as the water was murky and much higher than what

I'm used to. The fish were also scattered, and deep. You'd get 1 maybe 2 fish per tree. Anyways, same old

bait, pink trout worm under a float - the bluegill love them.

I need to find a better way to take pictures on the boat though...

gallery_133_237_154673.jpg

Managed 5 keepers, with a 10.5 incher being the biggest of the day. Things were just heating up when my

battery died. (borrowed it, it's an older deep cycle)

gallery_133_237_47405.jpg

gallery_133_237_102363.jpg

Somewhere in the middle I got this suprise OOS Stocker Rainbow. Went back unharmed.

gallery_133_237_72155.jpg

All in all not a bad 2.5 hours on the water and I'm more than happy with the new pontoon boat.

Can't wait to hit the lake again next weekend!

gallery_133_237_20683.jpg

Cheers,

UF

Excellent report and pics!!! :thumbsup_anim: I can tell how cold the water still is there by the color of the first 'Gill, be careful out there... a swim in that stuff wouldn't be pleasant I don't think.

A 10.5" 'Gill is a big ol bull!!!... and that meat is oh so SWEET!!!

You've done a great job on the 'toon!!!... and should catch some real nice fish from her this season!!! :clapping:

Thanks for takin' the time to post!

Hi misfish

I am hoping you can shed some light on the stability of how you have setup your craft. I see a tremendous amount of them where I work in western Canada, but have not seen anything with a mounted seat that high. It looked far more handy. I am hoping you se this and can reply. Thank-you.

outdoorguy61

Very Cool,

Got to get the video cam on that!

what's the next accessory(s) Fish finder, livewell............

Fish Finder dude - i've got a humminbird on its way! haha

Excellent report and pics!!! :thumbsup_anim: I can tell how cold the water still is there by the color of the first 'Gill, be careful out there... a swim in that stuff wouldn't be pleasant I don't think.

A 10.5" 'Gill is a big ol bull!!!... and that meat is oh so SWEET!!!

You've done a great job on the 'toon!!!... and should catch some real nice fish from her this season!!! :clapping:

Thanks for takin' the time to post!

Thanks GCD - The water was is like ice, there's still some snow on the banks here and there. But we had a HUGE rain storm the night before and the was was really stained which might also affect the color of the fish.

~~~Great post Team mate, you might consider getting a Tripod mounted on the bow for the camera, to get those action shots

to bad the tourny hasn't started yet or I'd have let some of the bigger gills go and used them for the tourny - i'm getting a measuring sticker for one of hte pontoons with the OFC logo and our team logo.

How stable is it with the high seat on it, and how about the wind catching you? It is a nice looking rig!

Extremely stable - see last coment...It's a light rig so the wind pushes you around pretty easily, nothing a small anchor or drift sock can't take care of though....

I am hoping you can shed some light on the stability of how you have setup your craft. I see a tremendous amount of them where I work in western Canada, but have not seen anything with a mounted seat that high. It looked far more handy. I am hoping you se this and can reply. Thank-you.

outdoorguy61

VERY STABLE! you can stand up no problem and move around, setting the hook isn't an issue at all, but keep in mind i'm a smaller dude - 155lbs. Trolling to my spot with the electric worked out great to...I'd stay away from any white water though, slower current would be ok i'm sure, but I'm only using it for small lakes, ponds and long points inner bay when it's calm.

Awesome man, you weren't kidding about pimpin' that 'tooner. Sweet mods. We'll have to race ya in the bass hound sometime out there :lol:

Supposed to warm up all week and be nice and hot next weekend - hopefully the Gill's and Crappie will school up and move shallow. Should make for an awesome outing! I'm sure you and Sleded will be chasing cats again but if not I'll be on the water, same spot same time!

Cheers dude