Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (NF)

Riparian

The Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake, the only venomous snake in the province of Ontario.

Its seems unlikely that any snakes can survive our winters, but apparently they do.

http://www.massasauga.ca/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Massasauga_Rattlesnake

http://www.ojibway.ca/rattler.htm

According to my research, they are only present in four areas across Ontario. Windsor, the wainfleet whats his name in the Niagra region, the Bruce Peninsula and the eastern shores of Georgian Bay. Has anyone ever ran into one before?

I would love to see one in the wild. From a distance.

Edited by Riparian

My Grand Mother was bit in the Big Toe about 15 years ago by one in Sturgeon Bay Provincial Park. Her leg was Black up to her mid thigh.

Go up to Pointe Au Baril and trek through the bush a bit. Or take a drive in the evening just after 5 in August when the sun is no longer on the road, you will see at least 3 a night keeping warm on the asphalt.

From Parry Sound to the Key, there are more then you want to see. When we had our cottage, I saw about 30-35 a summer. If ya get close just stay at least 2 of their body lengths away, they can only strike 1/3 or is it 2/3's of their length.

Most rock piles up the east shore.. Beausoleil Island National Park...The Penninsula of land between Penetang and Midland Harbours (= my yard), Three Lakes campground south of Parry Sound and darn near everywhere else from Midland to the French River.

My parents had a cottage on the Bruce just South of Tobermory on a little Lake called Larry's Lake. Willow Creek was about 2 miles away. Always saw rattlers over in that area just sunning themselves on the gravel road. If we where up for a weeks holidays in the summer and I didn't see at least one snake during the week I felt cheated!!!

We have a cottage on Georgian Bay out of Honey Harbour. Lots of rattlers out that way, as wayne indicated Beausoleil has a lot there too. Amazing creatures.

A lot of ppl mistake fox snakes for rattlers as the fox snake has developed the ability to mimic the rattling sound of a rattle snake. They 'vibrate' their tails in the grass/bush/undercover and imitate the sound of a rattler very well. Fox snakes grow much larger though. The Massasauga doesn't get very big.

saw one a long long time ago on a class trip to camp celtic on the bruce peninsula. one of the events at the camp is a "rattlesnake hunt". before we left on the hunt our councillor warned us not to get our hopes up as they hadnt seen one in quite some time. sure enough we walked out the door and there was a snake right there. what was supposed to be a 2 hour snake hunt only took about 30 seconds.

it would be cool to have a "hot" as a pet. right now i just have a ball python but want to start a nice collection. definitely wouldnt go hungry as i breed my own mice and rats :thumbsup_anim:

my dad and his buddies saw one by wasaga beach one year when they were fishing. i have yet to see one in the wild but cant wait until i finally do.

Used to be a few around the Kawarthas. First one I ever saw was at Burleigh Falls when I was very young. I've seen them around Owen Sound and when I worked with a logging crew just north of Pointe Au Baril. There are some on the islands in Mississauga Bay just west of Blind River. I've also seen them in the Port Loring area. If you have an allergy to bee venom, you want to give them room, their venom is chemically very close but stronger. They get pretty thick but not very long, a big one is about 2 feet. Given a strike range of 1/3 of their body length, an 8" boot should keep you safe, also they're designed to strike downwards. They're not an aggresive animal, if you don't bother them, they'll leave you alone.

When I was logging at Pte Au Baril, I was skidding logs and always checked my machine well before I climbed on in the morning and I took a good look before I started shoving a choker under a log. There were lots of them there. One of the sawyers had one crawl across his boot while he was cutting a tree down.

They're around. GB area has lots of them. Nothing to be worried about either. Chances are you won't even know that the snake is there and if you get to close, it'll rattle and that will send shivers down your spine. It will ruin the rest of the day for you 'cause you'll be keeping your eyes open for them. If I stumble across one I'll have my snake hook ready and shoot it... with my camera! Well, that was lame.

Do not disclose any exact locations of these animals, please.

They can be quite far inland as well. Coming back in the evening from a day of bass fishing from my float tube on Pence Lake. Walking down railway track, My foot lands on a tie and TRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I just about jump outta my skin. About 30 inches long and as thick as my wrist curled up in the hollow beside the tie getting the warmth from it. Didnt expect to see one so far from Georgian Bay. Pence Lake is just north of Big Chute.

A few run ins with them at a couple camps at Pointe Au Baril, one like 2 feet from my leg when I came down the steps out of the cabin. Also some dead ones on the road going into the camp area by the Shell station.

LOL I have never seen one here in Ohio except in zoos and such, no hurry to do so either. Not afraid of snakes and such, just places me and my family should be and places they should be. Kids don`t look? Last one was like 88 or 89, last or second last time up there, didn`t stop going there because of them, just too much else going on.

Kind of cool to see though, don`t remember any over 2 feet or so. Think me and one of my brothers and my buddy saw one dead on the road going into the camp when we were walking up to Kennedy`s store, thought it was a plant, someone put it there to scare people. That was like 1964, we asked the camp owner and he told us to stay out of the woods. Good Plan! I never wandered much, especially were I couldn`t clearly see the ground.

There were also bears there, moose, and other big animals crashing through the bush. Just a lot of woods and bush in the area up there, lots of places for animals to be, expect the unexpected.

Years ago when I lived in French River we saw many of them, I was out picking worms one night and had one actually come at me, I kept backing away from it but inspite of what MNR will tell you, it was quite agressive.

Back in the late 60's MNR denied there were any in the area. My Mother-in-law attended a community meeting and one of the topics was the snakes being seen in the area. I don't know the name of the MNR rep that was chairing the meeting but when the topic was mentioned he insisted there were none in the area. Without a word, my Mother-in-law walked up to the front with a sac in her hand and plunked it down on the table right in front of them, yup, inside the bag were two good size ones, alive and well. As they just about fell over each other trying to get away from the table they finally had to agree that there MIGHT be the odd one in the area LOL.

She laughed about the look on that MNR reps face for years after that.

In loving memory of Sibble (Mary) Mines; gosh I miss that woman!

Years ago when I lived in French River we saw many of them, I was out picking worms one night and had one actually come at me, I kept backing away from it but inspite of what MNR will tell you, it was quite agressive.

Back in the late 60's MNR denied there were any in the area. My Mother-in-law attended a community meeting and one of the topics was the snakes being seen in the area. I don't know the name of the MNR rep that was chairing the meeting but when the topic was mentioned he insisted there were none in the area. Without a word, my Mother-in-law walked up to the front with a sac in her hand and plunked it down on the table right in front of them, yup, inside the bag were two good size ones, alive and well. As they just about fell over each other trying to get away from the table they finally had to agree that there MIGHT be the odd one in the area LOL.

She laughed about the look on that MNR reps face for years after that.

In loving memory of Sibble (Mary) Mines; gosh I miss that woman!

That was great!!!!!!!!!! i love yoru mother in law!

Cheers!

We saw one at Moon River while fishing. Interesting, the rattle was more like an insect buzz. This was not a fox snake, but a Massassauga - as the rattle was quite visible.

Glad we don't have Timber rattlers here, they are in Pennsylvania in the mountains - saw one there at a friend's hunting camp in the woodpile. Much larger and scarier than our little Massassaugas.

about 15 years ago a friend of mine father ran over one with a lawnmower, a small one about 10 inches at the most. it was diffenatey a M rattler from what the mnr told him.

Get this........It was in oakville close to the 16 mile creek area. I used to fish this area all the time when i was a kid. after that you sure watched your step walking down that area lol. I have never seen or heard of one that far east or that close to the gta before.

I have heard they are in the elora area now as well.

Cheers!

If you ever see me screaming and running !!! Just go towards where I just came from and you might be able to see one!!! Or it might just be a small garter snake but they are all the same to me. I see some on TV and I change the channel.

If you ever see me screaming and running !!! Just go towards where I just came from and you might be able to see one!!! Or it might just be a small garter snake but they are all the same to me. I see some on TV and I change the channel.

want me to post a video of my ball python eating a live rat? :whistling: