unbelievable cloud picture

lew

I took this picture of some very odd looking clouds from my backyard about 20 minutes ago and thought some may find it interesting. Guess it was a lucky shot as the shape had totally disappeared within a couple minutes.

Or am I the only one that finds this interesting ?? :P

Cnv0026.jpg

Hey Lew,

That is a Mammatus cloud type I believe. They are pretty cool looking!

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus)

Mammatus (also known as mammatocumulus, meaning "bumpy clouds)is a meteorological term applied to a cellular pattern of pouches hanging underneath the base of a cloud. The name "mammatus" is derived from the Latin mamma (breast), due to the resemblance between the shape of these clouds and human female breasts.

Mammatus (also known as mammatocumulus, meaning "bumpy clouds)is a meteorological term applied to a cellular pattern of pouches hanging underneath the base of a cloud. The name "mammatus" is derived from the Latin mamma (breast), due to the resemblance between the shape of these clouds and human female breasts.

Thanks Cliff, but I think TJ's explanation was easier to understand :lol:

Wow! You're really lucky to see that, and then to get a picture as well!

I've seen pictures of clouds kind of like those but I don't remember what they were called. Something relating to mammaries I think. Isn't there a meteorology science type person on here? He would likely know.

Nice catch! :)

Hey Lew,

The name "mammatus" is derived from the Latin mamma (breast), due to the resemblance between the shape of these clouds and human female breasts.

So, are there enough chiropractors in East York to handle the neck sprains for the next day or two?

I always thought these clouds showed up before a big downpour....nice shot!

Actually johnnyb, were getting snow pellets falling right now and then rain is forecast for later today......good call

So, are there enough chiropractors in East York to handle the neck sprains for the next day or two?

:lol::lol::lol:

I've seen those clouds before, and ususally they do precipitate a storm.

Cool Pic Lew.

Joey

Yep Cliff, you are correct, they are mammatus clouds. You see them more often in the summer usually when there is bad weather around. I used to see these all the time when I lived in Kansas. Sometimes they would be green in colour and that is never a good sign. Whenever the clouds would turn green we would take cover because it usually meant there was a tornado around. But as luck would have it we never did have one. All that time in Kansas (10yrs) and never saw one tornado, I have been back in Canada for 16yrs and have seen 2.

Really cool pic Joey, thanks for posting it.