Our four-legged fishing parter put down (NF)

Rich Clemens

Hookset, I just love the poem... it is very fitting

Rich, I know how you feel my friend.. I went thru the exact same thing with my Shepard 8 yrs ago walking in to things including the side of my p/u truck.. rushed her to the vet and they told my the same thing... Had to put her down but believe my when I say this... Sat outside the vets for over an hour wondering if I had done the right thing... kept asking my self that question till some thing inside me told me I did... Still miss my old girl to this day and she was only 2.5 yrs old.. Now have a toy poodle that the wife wanted because they are allergic to dogs but they are non allergetic and even thou this one is cute also.. Just have to remember all the fun times you had

Gee ! thats tough Rich, We had to do it last year,and still miss the old Guy.

Rest assured, you did the right thing for your 'Friend' even tho' painful for you and your family.

It's no life for a dog, if it cant run free and have an enjoyable life

My condolences.

Rich, I am so very sorry to hear that, I know how hard it can be but you did what had to be done and she trusted you to do what was best for her. It doesn't make the loss any easier but keep her in your heart forever. It's a warm, safe place for her to be.

Great poem hookset ... I couldn't even make it the whole way through the first time. I saved a copy of it to hand on to. Very nice.

I really like the Poem too Rich.

The Author - Beth Norman Harris (1968) - sure knew what she was saying.

Her Poem is a good read from day #1 with a new Pup until the final day when we have to say "So Long".

Your Fishing Pal was indeed a Lucky Pup.

Hookset.

So sorry for your loss, Rich.

Seems every dog person will lose at least one along the way that they'll miss terribly for years after. These are the dogs who go way beyond "normal critter" to bring something rare and amazing to your life. Missing them is a positive thing - it reminds us how lucky we've been.

There are 2 on my "still miss list." One of them was a little poodle who was born without eyes, and came to us at 6 weeks old. She never knew what she was "missing," and figured out ways to do everything our sighted dog could do. Fetch, stairs, playing with beach balls, and even jumping on and off the furniture safely. Experiencing the world with her taught me countless invaluable lessons about being observant, thinking outside the box, and keeping a wag in your tail.

Taff developed ways to really make the most of her other senses. New challenges were met with a prudent amount of caution, but always happily and with determination. For the (sighted) humans in the house, closing our eyes and trying to figure out everyday situations "from Taff's point of view" scared us silly. Without her extra interpretive skills, we were pretty lost.

When your Airedale's vision went, nobody could explain to her what was happening. She didn't have time to develop coping mechanisms, and the tumor was heaping on other problems as well. Suddenly everything's scary and confusing. That had to be terrible to be on the "inside" of.

There's really only one loving thing to do in that situation, and you did it - even though it hurt you. That deserves respect, if not applause.

She had a wonderful life. Humans who loved her, took her fishing, and put her comfort first when the vet bills piled up. She was a very lucky girl.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." --Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

My condolences to you. Dogs do become a part of the family and seeing one suffer can be painful. I have a yellow lab with a torn cruciate and is going in for surgery this Wednesday. The vet told us the less expensive ($600-$800) extracapsular procedure will be sufficient. The alternative would have been $2000-$2500 for the TPLO procedure.

Huey-Graphite. With Nikita only 7 years old, we figured she should have quite a few good years left so we went all out for her just a mere 6 weeks ago. Yeah, it was a lot of money, but to my wife and I, it was well worth every penny.

Thanks much to everyone who responded. Lot of great people on this board.

Huey-Graphite. With Nikita only 7 years old, we figured she should have quite a few good years left so we went all out for her just a mere 6 weeks ago. Yeah, it was a lot of money, but to my wife and I, it was well worth every penny.

Thanks much to everyone who responded. Lot of great people on this board.

I here ya. Had the vet recommended the TPLO I probably would have done it and find a way to pay for it later. The vet told us because our dog was no longer competing and had retired as a house pet, the extracapsular procedure would be the way to go.

And yes the wealth of info on this board is unlimited.

I didn't want to read this post because our dog is a "senior" fellow. I'm beginning to see signs of age in him and it's kind of hard to see that happening. I love him very much. But sharing is the best way to deal with stuff like this. I'm sure your dog had a good life and if there is a doggy heaven, I'm sure he's smiling down, wagging his tail, and all is well.

Rich

Sad day to be sure dude

you lost a good friend

will be thinking of you and your dog as we work with our furry family at the Cannington Dog Sled Races this Sunday

am sure we will find her spirit somewhere in all that snow-amongst all those dogs

Take Care

Paul

Rich, I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Having to make that decision is so hard, even when you know that's it's the kindest thing you can do for a good friend. My deepest sympathies to you and your entire family. You'll always miss your buddy and remember all the good times, but, someday, it won't hurt so much when you do remember her.

DebS