20+lb Haliburton Laker! - pic

Slayingm

I was finally able to get both my son and daughter out for ice fishing trip while skiing and staying up at our cabin in Haliburton for a couple of days. Since Simcoe's main lake is slow to freeze again this year I have had to make a few trips that way to get into some Lake Trout. Even though we only fished for approx. 4 hours the action was pretty steady. Both kids each caught a couple of nice fish but the biggest surprize was the one my daughter caught. It was the biggest laker I have ever seen and took 30 mins to get the fish in (Ultra light with 4lb line and minnow) .....I still don't know how we got it out of the hole! Attached is a pic of me holding the fish and a couple of others ....one of my son fighting a nice laker and his prize fish of the day.

405.1.jpg

That one was 1 of 3 fish we got on spoons. We got our fish in 37 to 62' using 1/4oz hammered Blue Fox flash spoons and little cleo's in Blue/Silver and white and others just on minnows. Watching the screen on the X-67 Ice Machine you could see the fish move in on the jig and nail it! My son got quite the hoot out of that.... I recall him yelling out 'come on'!... hit it .. hit it!... while jiggling and lifting his spoon ... followed by a gotem!!

000_0402-5.jpg

000_0408-5.jpg

All the fish we got were released that day...... unlike the previous couple of trips where some of them made it onto the Bradley Smoker......mummmm....yummy.

Take care and be safe out there.... Greg.

Again...Well done greg !!!!!. :w00t: ..thats some amazing lake trout fishing :whistling::clapping: ...big,healthy fish too,i guess your daughter has the title of biggest ever lake trout !!!..man you got your work cut out to beat that monster...great pictures too,and thanks for the haliburton fishing report,looks like its all safe ice there,cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Greg, good to see you getting on them again with your report. The first of many I hope. Congrats to your daughter on the 20 lber definitely sounded fun.

I read the report and read it in a way that suggested the one you're holding in the first pic is the 20 lber. Correct me if I'm wrong or did I miss something?

ccmtcanada: Yes it truly was a amazing and long fight.. the longest I have experienced by anyone on the ice. Just goes to show you that ice you use premium quality line and equipment you can land big fish if you take your time and don't force them! ;)

Oldphart: Good luck on the w/e!.... hope to see you on the ice one day before Mar 31st.

Hearingfish: How are you Stan? You are correct ... that is my daughter's fish, as I mentioned in a previous post unfortunately pictures can certainly be deceiving at times and often don't do a fish justice. That said when it bottomed out my 15lb Normark scale the quick length and girth measurements I took calculated the fishes weight over 21.5lbs using the old trout/Salmon formula of 'Length x Girth x Girth / 800. The fish was approx. 44.25" and had a girth just under 20" .

In contrast here is a pic of a big laker I caught last Feb 2nd in a different Haliburton Lake (My own PB on the ice).... it weighted 17lbs and yet its hard to see a 5lb difference between them. The larger one was much thicker across the back then this one.... something you really can't' see in the pic.

That said I am a tall guy at over 6' 2" tall that may help to but things into some perspective.

http://profishntanglingservices.com/MyPict...ker2-2-07-5.jpg

Glad to see the colder weather the past couple of days.... will certainly make things safer out there.

Good luck all and see ya on the ice.... Greg.

wholly krap. 44.25 x 20, are you sure it wasnt a muskie?

here's what a 20+ pounder looks like. i did not include my gut. it was about 38" long. hopefully 38.25 when i catch her this spring. I'm probably a lil over 4'6" sitting down

38laker2.jpg

Edited by Raf