MNR Reverses Live Bait Reg

Chris

on simcoe when the perch are biting that would last you less then an hour ?

Catch the darn things don`t feed them! LOL

On lake erie when the perch are running I have seen folks have to go get more bait after a couple of hours.... Them perch travel in schools and are pretty smart at taking bait off a hook especially if there is a 25KM an hour wind making your rod dance all the time too. I watched my dad lose 35 minnnows one morning and not get a fish. OK I lost 20 myself but that is besides the point LOL.

What I don't like is that you can only have 120 minnows included salted. That makes NO sense to me either but what do I know. I am not one of the squirrels working for the MNR deciding our fate.

Another new reg that defies logic is the ban on crayfish transportation. If the place where I wanted to use them had them naturally to catch, there wouldn't be any bass there to bother with.... because the BASS LOVE em so they would have eaten them all geez. This ain't rocket science. If you get caught with the american ones or releasing live ones you should get 500 lashes with a cat of nine tails minimum. But to ban the frog first and now crayfish, along with restricting the importation of leeches from any other juristiction is going to make the bass population explode around here anyways.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I had a bait shop tell me to watch out when I on Lake Erie because I had went to pick up 10 dozen by myself for a party of 3..... She said the week before a few people got nailed for having over 120 per person, because they had brought salted and then managed to catch some minnows... Don't know if it really happened but she told me to be sure and divide up the minnows when I got back to the other people I was fishing with.

I don't doubt it happened because later that day I was talking to a guy who was there that same day and he got nailed for having two rods in the water. He had a HUGE cluster doink on his one rod so he took that out of the water and cast out with his spare. He retied and when he was done he set it on the pier no bait on the hooks the leader and pickerel rig were long enough so that the sinker was bobbing in the water. Less than 30 seconds later that same CO walked over and charged him remember no bait had been put on the hooks. He said he would be happy to pay the fine if the CO would charge the guy who had 5 rods in the water because he was fishing with his 4 kids who were over 200 yards away swimming.... The CO refused to charge the other man because he wasn't able to speak the person's native language well enough to explain to the man that his children needed to be with the rods not just within a 1/4 mile....

I believe this story because 3 people collaborated it...

Edited by Canuck2fan

Just a tip, take a 1/4 x2 inch strip of the white belly of a perch you are keeping, scale a section first, leave the white skin on. If they are biting it works just as well as minnows and the skin makes it hard to get off. An old Erie trick, we have also cut the minnows in half, didn`t seem to matter to the perch.

OhioFisherman , wouldn't you know they made using perch for bait illegal too...we just can't win

It is a slippery slope isn't it. I was under the impression you could use perch on the Great Lakes but I think the regs for 2005/2006 meant minnows? I haven't read the new regs yet as everytime I go to get them the fishing store or beer store is out.....

sorry, on some lakes like simcoe you can not use perch as bait

Terry: As far as live perch I agree. As for perch parts such as eye's, cheeks or belly meat etc I can't see anything prohibiting it. Maybe I'm missing something. Can you point me to the area in the summary please.

it does not say you can't use parts of the perch

it does say that these are the only fish you can use as bait..

Baitfish

Only the fish species listed below may be used as live bait:

BAIT

Anglers with a valid fishing licence may capture their own bait for

personal use as follows:

NOTE: The capture and use of bait is not allowed in some waters

(see other Zone Regulations or Exceptions for the Zone you are

fishing in).

SALAMANDERS MAY NOT BE USED AS BAIT IN ONTARIO.

Minnows

Blacknose shiner

Blackchin shiner

Bluntnose minnow

Brassy minnow

Central stoneroller

Common shiner

Creek chub

Eastern blacknose dace

Emerald shiner

Fallfish

Fathead minnow

Finescale dace

Golden shiner

Hornyhead chub

Lake chub

Longnose dace

Mimic shiner

Northern redbelly dace

Pearl dace

Redfin shiner

River chub

Rosyface shiner

Sand shiner

Spotfin shiner

Spottail shiner

Striped shiner

Suckers

White sucker

Longnose sucker

Others

Central mudminnow

Lake herring (cisco)

Trout-Perch

Sticklebacks

Brook stickleback

Ninespine stickleback

Sculpins

Mottled sculpin

Slimy sculpin

Darters and Logperch

Blackside darter

Fantail darter

Iowa darter

Johnny darter

Least darter

Rainbow darter

River darter

Tessellated darter

Logperch

then it states in exceptions that perch can be used in some great lakes

so maybe you can use parts

a guy in anither board said he asked and was told not perch parts on simcoe, but who knows, these days if I can't get it in writing form the MNR I don't trust it

Edited by Terry

120 in possession and a minimum 5 1/2 inch size for minnows is simply a step towards the hidden MNR longterm objective of a total live bait ban in Ontario in my opinion. The MNR rep who said the issue "will be revisited" is probably just stalling to get anglers to stop potentially crabbing to their MMPs or the MNR Minister or BETTER YET the Cabinet Board members about the restrictions.

If anglers go quiet hoping the issue will be "revisited" then after a bit of quiet the MNR bios behind the restrictions will happily run upstairs for periodic required briefing to the MNR Minister Advisors, and they will brag and brief how they have total angler support for the direction they are going.

Complain to the above three entities if you want to get such bad restrictions quashed. Maybe also complain to the Federal DFO since MNR is carrying out the the DFO (Dep't of Fisheries and Oceans) mandate since MNR is under DFO mandate re fisheries management in Ontario.

120 in possession and a minimum 5 1/2 inch size for minnows is simply a step towards the hidden MNR longterm objective of a total live bait ban in Ontario in my opinion. The MNR rep who said the issue "will be revisited" is probably just stalling to get anglers to stop potentially crabbing to their MMPs or the MNR Minister or BETTER YET the Cabinet Board members about the restrictions.

If anglers go quiet hoping the issue will be "revisited" then after a bit of quiet the MNR bios behind the restrictions will happily run upstairs for periodic required briefing to the MNR Minister Advisors, and they will brag and brief how they have total angler support for the direction they are going.

That’s a dishonest way of managing our resource, using tax contributing salaried monies to impose minority and un-founded/un-proven reasons to regulate

Are they not mandated to manage in the best interest of all and the resource?

Not self or organized driven personal agendas or beliefs

The letter states it,Its obvious what goes on behind close doors