What do you have in your emergency kit for ice fishing?

wuchikubo

Do you bring an emergency kit for ice fishing?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bring an emergency kit for ice fishing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never thought about it.

Hi All,

Being a dad with two young kids (7 and 4) who want me to take them ice fishing, I'm probably being overly cautious but that's me. I was just wondering what people had in their emergency kits (if you have one).

This is what I have so far: (in addition to the regular fishing gear)

Candle (idea from holdfast)

Cell phone (I had it, just forgot to add it in, thanx Glen)

Cleats for boots

Compass (thanks to the many members reminding me of keeping it simple)

Crazy glue (idea from Irishfield)

Emergency blanket

Emergency first aid kit (small)

Emergency Ice picks (in float suit)

Emergency matches (in waterproof container)

Emergency throw line (in the works, 50 yards of nylon rope? Possibly something already premade.)

Extra clothes in Ziplock bag

Extra mitts/gloves in Ziplock (2 pairs for each person)

Flashlight (shake light)

FRS radio (would prefer Handheld VHF, but will have to make due with what I have) What frequencies are most common?

Hand warmers

Handheld GPS (still trying to acquire) -- back up with the compass

Hot chocolate mix

Powerbar or energy bars.

Small shatterproof mirror

Swiss army knife

If there something blatantly missing, please let me know.

For fishing gear:

Auger

Balaclava

Bomber hat

Bottle of hot water

Bottled water

Bucket for fish

Camping pot

Extra batteries (for electronics)

Extra fishing line

Fishing License

Fishing rods and reels

Folding chairs

Folding shovel

Goggles

Hooks and sinkers

Ice scoop (thanx for the reminder Eric)

Jigging spoons and lures

Main gloves (1 pair)

Portable heater

Portable hut (thanx to Jim aka Mistyriver)

Portable stove

Propane tank

Sonar/Flasher

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

Hearingfish if you are venturing out on a big lake like Simcoe say more than half mile from shore than I would add a compass. An ice spud added to the list to check ice thickness as you walk out.

Thanx Mukluk,

I'd be more inclined to stay within the area where most people would be fishing (assuming it's safe and tested). I'd probably would pack a spud if it was by myself and exploring new ice.

Stan

Like Mukluck said.....a cheap $5 compass can get you home if your in dire straits. I don't leave home without one. I've been on simcoe, less than a mile out, and you can't see shore in any direction.....it gets spooky quick if you don't know which way is home, and there is open water on the lake still!!

Sinker

Sounds good Stan... I left both my compasses up at the Lake.. so I guess I need to buy another one. Will get to your PM tonight.. gotta get back to the shop.

Wayne, that makes me think about getting a decent compass, as GPS will eventually run out of batteries. I'm gonna have to have the 7 year old help out with the sled as well. hehe

Thanks again.

i talked to a fireman at wades landing marina in south bay of lake nip last summer and he told me his snow machine broke down at 430pm in the middle of winter about 3 miles out. he was lucky enough to be about 1000 yards from a shore line so he camped out and light a fire with his water proof emergency matches. he swears he would have been dead without them.

Just goes to show you you can never be to safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good on you for thinking of everything!

Cheers!

I always try to remember to keep a few band-aids in my pocket for when someone gets a little too close to the auger blades...and a pocket packet of kleenex or two...

A roll of toilet paper can come in handy at times...

Edited by Beans

I dont care who you are or what you are. A compass is paramount. Whiteout, darkout, Brainfart out. Leave it with your fishing gear. Also never solely rely on a GPS. its electronic. All GPS instructions will tell you that. Dont know if its been mentioned, but a good candle can save the Day, Use one match, Light the candle, then light your stove and fire with the candle. Saves on wasted matches. A candle is a bit of warmth, Morale, and light in an emergency shelter. If its made of animal fat, you can eat it. By the way I like this post. Makes you think, and see other peoples prioritys

Edited by holdfast

I dont care who you are or what you are. A compass is paramount. Whiteout, darkout, Brainfart out. Leave it with your fishing gear. Also never solely rely on a GPS. its electronic. All GPS instructions will tell you that. Dont know if its been mentioned, but a good candle can save the Day, Use one match, Light the candle, then light your stove and fire with the candle. Saves on wasted matches. A candle is a bit of warmth, Morale, and light in an emergency shelter. If its made of animal fat, you can eat it.

Thanks Holdfast, the candle has a point in addition to the shake light and matches.

Thanks to Wayne again for reminding me on the Krazy glue. I always forget about it.

The points and ideas that come from this is only in case of emergency, I'd rather be a bit overprepared than under prepared when out with my kids.

Thanks,

Stan