I need to know...

Gerritt

I don't do it myself either Gerritt, but I think the idea is that it makes it easier to steer the boat more precisely while going backwards, plus it would also give you the slowest speed possible without an electric motor....at least that's my understanding.

....Ah so young grasshopper and much to learn. Observe the ways of the wise and ye shall become infantly wiser. :)

Bite me oh great one! LOL...

Thanks guys... but why not just use a drift sock or throw down the electric? Seems odd to me.. and I dont recall ever seeing someone doing it on the water...

G

under some conditions like following a weed line under windy conditions you have better boat control for tight turns with back trolling, plus there were no drift socks when people started this method so even though a drift sock would work under many conditions they are use to back trolling

and as for electric motors using the gas motor gives you a lot more power and control when needed under windy conditions....

There are lots of advantages when going after walleyes. It puts you right over your transducer. Backtrolling with a youngster in your boat keeps his line away from the prop. It aids in boat control. Trolling in reverse might reverse aging. We'll see.

Don't hit a rock. Watch out for waves in rough water unless you have a splash board.

From what I have been told there is no better way for boat control when following tight structure than back trolling.My dad and uncle always back troll for eyes and using a worm harness.I would also think it has something to do with the transducer for your fish finder.Being mounted on the back of the boat you are steering directly under the transducer without the time delay of the length of your boat passing over before reaching the transducer

These guys all nailed your answer Gerritt. It's all about boat control. You can follow a contour or weedline with great precision or easily keep the boat on one spot-on-spot by punching it in and out of reverse. Of course, you always backtroll into the wind. This is the only method we use while dragging jigs or bottom bouncers at the lodge I work for. We use 18' pro V tillers w/ yammy 90's. Like others mentioned you can slow right down to a crawl if you have to or get a decent trolling speed going. It's a very versatile and very controled way to fish. You'll need wave breakers/splash guards and WORKING BILGES cause when it gets rough you will take on water. Here's a rough day backtrolling on Lac Seul.

P8120100.JPG

I've got a question.... Does anyone backtroll with a console boat? I've only done it with a tiller. I'm sure it could be done but it wouldn't be as easy as with the tiller. Vive le tiller!!

Yep .. backtrolling rocks for me ... but then most of my time is spent in a tinny with a 9.9 tiller .... and no electric ... I think if I had a bass boat and a foot operated electric I wouldnt backtroll too much ... but for now ... its my way of covering water AND being able to jig/cast/bottom bounce AND see whats coming toward the prop at a manageable speed ... and it really does put more fish in the boat (for me at least)

Like Big Cliff said though ... backing trolling into the wind isnt a very good idea ... BUT thats when I toss the anchor out the front and 'back-drift' with the waves for power .... theres always an answer :)

Edited by camillj

Backtrolling is less like trolling and more like taking your jig for a walk on the bottom. You're jigging almost straight down from your rod tip and you're jigging the area that you're seeing on your sonar screen. It's vertical jigging at it's best. I wouldn't suggest pulling a minnow lure backwards.

Well i know back trolling can work well in certain conditions but i just put a trolling plate on my motor,so i wouldnt have to do that,you can use your electric trolling motor as well,or you can toss out a drift bag and troll like that...so there is always options,before i would be back trolling for sure,and i have tried it before and didnt find that i had any advantage over any other way of trolling !!! :canadian::blink::dunno: