A Little Information about the Drowned Kayaker

Steve

As it has been reported, our fishing community lost a valuable member this morning/last night.

I'd just like to clear up some confusion, so that his name is not slandered.

I was out this morning, helping out the search and rescue team, in my boat. There were three or four other pleasure craft assisting in the search....Our friend was close to many of us. Serge, or Tito Woody as he is known online, was a kayaking instructor who has over 20 years kayaking experience on big water...including the Ocean.

The waves pictured in Cliffs thread about waves was the North Shore. As many of you probably know, if the North shore is getting pounded, the South Shore is calm. It was.

Serge launched around 2pm in favourable offshore winds. There was no weather warnings about any possible snow squalls. Many on this board, including myself, would feel very comfortable with that forcast.

Serge made it 20 km's towards his fishing destination, Jordan Harbour. (This was 20k's down shore, NOT off shore) He was witnessed fishing infront of the Jordan outflow around 3:30 in the afternoon, before snow storm, by shore anglers. He was not spotted after that.

His body was found just West of Jordan Harbour.

Please, lets all learn from this. But Serge was not some lunatic who intended to put anyone else's safety at risk. I'd like to thank our Search and Rescue teams for their undaunting work last night and this morning. The lake was still rough and rolling this morning. We all got off the water soaking wet, frozen, and devistated. They treated us with respect, and shared in our loss. Not a single rescue officer asked "why" Serge went out, or that they were "upset" for putting their safety at risk....They were great. Myself and the rest of Serge's friends and family owe a huge thanks for the effort the Search and Rescue team made finding Serge.

Lets all learn from this.

No matter HOW experienced we are, the Great Lakes are a dangerous beast. Respect the water. Keep all safety devices onboard when fishing the Great Lakes in the winter. I'm not talking the necessary safety stuff for boaters, i'm talking fully charged VHF's, GPS's, and CELL PHONES!

Talk it easy everyone.

Rest in Peace Serge. Your going to be missed!

Steve

Well said Steve and sorry for your loss and his family's loss.

Everyone is always quick to judge and forgets it may very well be them someday. I know we had our "day" on the Labour Day weekend, that came darn close to Serge's fait x 5.

Edited by irishfield

Very tragic indeed, and I apologize if my pictures added to the confusion. I wrote in another thread that I hoped that he'd be found ok. My condolences go out to his family and to all that knew him. I think that front that came through took everyone by surprise.

Sorry for his family's loss.

I heard the report on last night's newscast. I admit, the first thing I thought of was why would anyone venture out onto L. ON in that wind? Quickly my thoughts turned to how his family must feel at hearing about him which erased my first knee jerk reaction.

I then thought of how many of us have been caught out on the water in a fast moving storm, especially an unpredicted sudden gale.

Beware of what is over your shoulder and do your best to think before hand about an escape route.

May his god be with him.

no worries Cliff. I know when you posted the thread originally, Serge wasn't even a thought or known about....

We all have knee jerk reactions....same thing happened last year off Port Credit.

I know you had zero ill intentions....Thanks for your best wishes. We all appreciate it ...

Now it's just my luck to have the watch, with nothing left to do

But watch the deadly waters glide as we roll north to the 'Soo',

And wonder when they'll turn again and pitch us to the rail

And whirl off one more youngster in the gale.

The kid was so damned eager. It was all so big and new.

You never had to tell him twice, or find him work to do.

And evenings on the mess deck he was always first to sing,

And show us pictures of the girl he'd wed in spring.

CHORUS

But I told that kid a hundred times "Don't take the Lakes for granted.

They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted."

But tonight some red-eyed Wiarton girl lies staring at the wall,

And her lover's gone into a white squall.

CHORUS

Now it's a thing that us oldtimers know. In a sultry summer calm

There comes a blow from nowhere, and it goes off like a bomb.

And a fifteen thousand tonner can be thrown upon her beam

While the gale takes all before it with a scream.

The kid was on the hatches, lying staring at the sky.

From where I stood I swear I could see tears fall from his eyes.

So I hadn't the heart to tell him that he should be on a line,

Even on a night so warm and fine.

CHORUS

When it struck, he sat up with a start; I roared to him, "Get down!"

But for all that he could hear, I could as well not made a sound.

So, I clung there to the stanchions, and I felt my face go pale,

As he crawled hand over hand along the rail.

I could feel her keeling over with the fury of the blow.

I watched the rail go under then, so terrible and slow.

Then, like some great dog she shook herself and roared upright again.

Far overside, I heard him call my name.

CHORUS

So it's just my luck to have the watch, with nothing left to do

But watch the deadly waters glide as we roll north to the 'Soo',

And wonder when they'll turn again and pitch us to the rail

And whirl off one more youngster in the gale.

But I tell these kids a hundred times "Don't take the Lakes for granted.

They go from calm to a hundred knots so fast they seem enchanted."

But tonight some red-eyed Wiarton girl lies staring at the wall,

And her lover's gone into a white squall.

Thank you, Stan Rogers. After twenty five years, this lyric still brings tears. God Bless.

Sorry to hear about that ,and i feel for his family,but he still should have known better all that wind,was forecasted and all over gale force wind warnings,he should have played the safe card,and thats what happens when you dont....he made a bad jugement that cost him his life,sorry to hear the bad news

This is a very sad day for the fishing community for sure. I have fished with Serge on a few trips now and he loved the past time. he was always looking for a new way to explore his passion. He will be truly missed by his friends.

Here's a few Pics of Serge (Tito Woody)

Bay of Quinte 2007

Quinte015.jpg

Second from left

Quinte037.jpg

Serge on the left

Quinte035.jpg

RR

I'm sorry to hear of such a tragic accident. I heard about the sad news this morning and felt a sense of familiarity with how it's like to be on rough waters in a kayak. I paddle white water in a 6 foot playboat, and follow the read of the kayak communities, and there are always tragedies. We love what we do, and people will remember the passion that Serge kept for himself and others that experience with him. He enjoyed his life and lived it well, and is honored and highly regarded in many ways.

I read about this in the paper and knew it would be an OFC'er. Very sad news. My condolences go out to his friends and family. I didn't know him, but to those that did, take some comfort in the fact that he lived his life the way he wanted to and experienced more in his short life than some will in ten lifetimes.

Steve,

thanks for coming on board and clearing this up. The loss of your friend no doubt will be hard, you and others did the best you could.

My condolences to you and to Serge's family.

John