Ahhhhhhhhh............

Meely

Last year I had an older snowmobile given to me by a buddy of mine.

Its a 1985 Bombardier Citation ...I think its a 250 ....if that....

Anyhoo, I figured it would be a great ice fishing machine and seein as it cost me zilch to buy, I'd sink a hundred bucks or so into some paint and getting the seat re-upholstered.

This year, Im figuring, SWEET, shes nothing fast or worth much....can't be all that much for insurance.

I figured I'd get just liability cuz if someone was really that desperate enough to steal her, they could have her..........

So, my agent comes back with a quote for the year....just liabiity......get this.....

SIX HUNDRED AND EIGHTY BUCKS !!!!

I nearly soiled myself!!!! One year's worth of liability insurance is gonna cost me 5 times what the sled is worth??

Is something wrong with this picture or what???

Are these the going rates? Is this guy for real??

Sheesh.....Think I just may toss the sled AND my computer off a cliff !!

Meely

Edited by Meely

Keep your sled - toss your broker!!! I just got a quote today for a 98 polaris 500 2 up trail machine - $302.75 INCLUDING theft!!!

Shop around - but be warned - most insurance companies won't touch atv/snowmobile insurance unless you switch car/ and or house insurance to them also.

Don

Same thing happened to me with a motorcycle couple years back Meely. Sold the bike.. But in your case I believe insurance can be had for about a 1/4 of that. Shop around. I will talk to the guys at our shop on Monday and find out where they get their best deal. My sled is insured though my business/shop plan.

Cheaper to take the fine ! Just don't run anyone over....

I think that will be my plan this year, :) cause just going on the ice to fish and no trails or roads I don't see anyone ever even remotely close anyway. And we used to play Joust on 250's with 2by4's once upon a time (not recommended), lol.

Can't wait till they decide to rape us on boat insurance with no choice in the matter, surprised they haven't already, but they are making us get a money grab license so I'm sure the mandatory insurance on boats will follow.

I have never owned one so I can't comment on what you are quoted. It will pay to look around because that sounds like a lot of money.

When we had a motorhome... a long time ago...my insurance broker was charging over 1200 bucks a year then! Just before we sold it I located an insurance broker in Beaverton ON., the name was Wayfarers insurance and their rate for the same coverage was just over $400 !!!! for a year! :w00t:

So look around, even do a Google search for Wayfarers and see what you can come up with. :dunno: They may have a snowmobile policy.

I just found the link, they don't mention sled insurance but they do say that other insurance is available. Why not contact them and ask?

Wayfarer website

Edited by pikehunter

Meely

I pay $111/year for a Polaris Indy trail that I use for ice fishing. That is for liability alone.

I use Primmum Insurance for the sled. It is a division of TD Bank.

The sled is the only business with this agent. So it pays to shop around.

PM me if you would like me to dig out their contact info for you to get a quote, or I'm sure you can Google up a phone number.

Cheers

Craig

Hey Meely...

I only pay $582 total (incl tax) for Maribeth's 1993 Mercury Sable (no collision) and she gets to drive it all year not just 3 months...

We are with Allstate but don't know if they cover ATVs and snowmobiles...

Like Gerritt said...Grant McAllister of OFC may be the man to contact...He helped

Maureen with her insurance needs...

Check out a local snow machine dealer and they can tell you which insurer is reasonable this year.

"Shop around - but be warned - most insurance companies won't touch atv/snowmobile insurance unless you switch car/ and or house insurance to them also."

Illegal in Canada but the Gov. so scared of ins. companies they let them do it.

Well.......after a few phone calls with my current agent.....I have been given another quote for my sled........Ready??

$170 for the year !! Now, this I can live with.

Why couldn't we just say that right from the beginning???

Just wanna say THANKS to those OFC'ers who offered me assistance (With insurance and my PC) . This board goes above and beyond just fishing and we keep seeing it time and time again.

I will ensure I pay it forward....

Thanks again and see you on the ice !!

Meely