New to baitcasters, need a line suggestion

Beats

Please suggest good choices of line to spool onto my new rod/reel combo. I just bought a brand new Curado 200DHSV from Ebay last night and I am waiting for it to arrive. This is my first baitcaster and have never cast one in my life, so I'm excited to give it a try. I know it takes some getting used to and that birds nests are common when learning. I went out today and got a St. Croix Premier 7' medium power/fast action single piece rod to go along with the reel. My question is: Can anyone recommend a good line for me to spool onto the reel? I fish from shore and mostly catch bass and the odd pike. I used mono on my reels for most of my life and my current spinning reel has vanish fluoro on it that I like alot. I know alot of ppl really like braid on baitcasters and thats the only type of line I've never used. Fishing from shore, the idea of getting snagged on something that you can't get out and leaving a "rope" of line in the water is something I've never liked the idea of. Also, the need to have a leader is just one more thing that has always kept me away from braid. Though, I'm willing to give it a shot if that is what the majority of people suggest. I'm not big on using overly strong line either. I usually use 8lb-10lb line and have no issues with that at all. I know most ppl will suggest to use what you are comfortable with but I'm just wondering with my rod/reel and the situation I am fishing in, what a good choice would be. I'm willing to use any kind of line(s) and am willing to try something new. This being my first baitcaster it would be cool to have a line on there that I am happy with and shows off the reel a bit once I get it all figured out.

On a side note, I bought the reel off Ebay for 149$(CDN) from a U.S. store, with 28.50 S/H and no other charges due to this seller being a "Non-Resident importer to Canada". Bringing the grand total of the purchase to 177.50$ Cdn.

The fishing store i went to today and bought my rod from tonight was selling the exact same reel for $289 before taxes. Thats like 330$ after taxes for the same thing that I bought for 1/2 the price online from the States! I strongly recommend checking out buying big fishing purchases online before visiting local stores. It's a nice thought to spend locally, but the price differences are insane. I could have bought 2 reels (brand new) from the U.S. for close to the price of a single one locally. This wasn't a rare find on Ebay either. There were 4 or 5 auctiona all with buyouts within 5-10$ of each other for brand new sealed reels.

17 to 20 pound test Stren has worked well for me on my reels. Braid is thinner, you would want a much heavier pound test probably. 65# power pro has the diameter of 16 pound mono. I put it on a couple of Abu C-4s it casts well, but I haven`t really used it enough to form a good opinion.

I think you will find it easier to learn on mono as opposed to a superline. Generally the greater the diameter of the line, the easier it will be to learn, to a certain point of course. I would start by using some 14 lb test Trilene XL or similar. Once you get competent with it, you can spool up with the superline and carry on.

I certainly enjoy tossing lures with a baitcaster, and I'm sure you will too, good luck.

In my limited experience the higher the pound test of the braid the easier it is to untangle and less likely it is to tangle in the first place. A real cheap option I recently tried was 45 lb ice fishing braided line from Wal-Mart, it was 4 bucks about for a spool's worth. That's alot cheaper than powerpro or any of the other quality braids and is decent for doing a little practice with, it having a huge diameter. If you're not to worried about spending a little extra (I guess you probably are not after having just dropped that kind of dough on a set up) just go straight for either 50lb or 80lb test. I like my 80lb braid personnaly. Be sure to use a leader though.

Dano beat me to it regarding line diameter. I tried mono briefly myself and found it much more difficult to pick out the tangles than braid. Maybe just me.

Edited by Weeds

In my limited experience the higher the pound test of the braid the easier it is to untangle and less likely it is to tangle in the first place. A real cheap option I recently tried was 45 lb ice fishing braided line from Wal-Mart, it was 4 bucks about for a spool's worth. That's alot cheaper than powerpro or any of the other quality braids and is decent for doing a little practice with, it having a huge diameter. If you're not to worried about spending a little extra (I guess you probably are not after having just dropped that kind of dough on a set up) just go straight for either 50lb or 80lb test. I like my 80lb braid personnaly. Be sure to use a leader though.

Dano beat me to it regarding line diameter. I tried mono briefly myself and found it much more difficult to pick out the tangles than braid. Maybe just me.

As I said in my original post I have nothing against trying braid but 50 or 80lb braid.... I know the diameter is very small but isn't that a tad overkill for a 2 lb bass or a 5lb pike? Or is the idea that if you would normally use 8-12lb mono, to use 50 lb braid because the diameter is so small that you may as well and know it will never possibly break? I'm not trolling for muskie or anything with this setup. For bass/pike is there really any advantage to using heavy braid with a light leader over using 8-12 lb mono other than the ease of casting? I'm not worried about untangling any messes on the reel.

If your a beginner I would suggest you use a mono Trilene and Stren are my 2 favorites and keep the test at 14-16 if you try learning with 8-10 lb. test you will have problems especially if your casting into any sort of wind.

I have used a baitcaster for years and I still do not like using line lighter than 14 lb.

i have a baitcaster that i have used for years to catch smallmouth on with 8 lb mono it casts great and its not rope, the only thing is you have to get used to the baitcaster it will take some time but after you get onto it you will love it ,if you are fishing around cover where you have to get them out fast braid is great but my preference is still mono

Piece of advice to a new baitcaster kinda guy - buy a big spool of CHEAP mono in 14lb test, some practice weights from BassPro and spend a few evenings in the front yard casting, pitching, etc.... Even better yet, if there is a park nearby, go there and practice. Buying 50lb PowerPro now will be a waste of money because you WILL birdsnest and will have to hack it off to clean it up, if you use cheap mono it's not a big deal, respool and keep on practising. Once you get a good feel for the reel, go fishing a couple of times with the mono to get the feel for real (sorry about the pun). If you are comfortable with it, then get some 50lb braid which is as thick as 12lb mono and you'll be set to tackle any bass/walleye/pike with it.

Learning how to use the brakes takes PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. I speak from experience, I bought a nice Quantum baitcaster on Boxing Day '05 along with 50lb Power Pro, my first practice cast I had the birdsnest to end all birdsnests and hacked off a good 5 bucks of line. After the first 150yard spool was toast I bought some Tourney Tough (??) from BPS and practiced with it and now I don't get many 'professional overruns'.

As I said in my original post I have nothing against trying braid but 50 or 80lb braid.... I know the diameter is very small but isn't that a tad overkill for a 2 lb bass or a 5lb pike? Or is the idea that if you would normally use 8-12lb mono, to use 50 lb braid because the diameter is so small that you may as well and know it will never possibly break? I'm not trolling for muskie or anything with this setup. For bass/pike is there really any advantage to using heavy braid with a light leader over using 8-12 lb mono other than the ease of casting? I'm not worried about untangling any messes on the reel.

I don't see any advantages to using the heavy braid other than ease of casting and minimal tangling really. The higher strength line also prevents you from breaking off and losing lures when you get a bad tangle mid cast. It's also nice to be able to pull baits out of snags on the bottom or off other debris. I imagine that 8-12lb mono could produce some really horrific birdsnests and backlashes on a baitcaster but can't say for sure as I've never tried it. I wouldn't suggest using a light leader either, 20lb and up heavy fluro for bass, pike, musky. My 2 cents.

P.S. I suck at cacthing bass.

I've used baitcasters for years and agree with a few of the other guys in here as to #14 Stren or even Vanish, (seeing as you like it already anyways) being as tough as you'll need for most stuff. :) Most trebles that you find on crankbaits, will straighten out enough to release the lure, with a steady pull on #14 Stren, so you don't really need 50 or 80 pound line for 2 or 3 pound bass.

Besides, once you find a line you're happy with over the years, it usually does not pay to try out a bunch of others just because someone said they were great. Seriously, get a nice fresh spool of 14-15# Vanish, OR, if you are a "line watcher" like I am, score some flo/blue Stren in #14 or 17# and you wil NOT be disappointed. :D

P.S. Tiny tip... Make sure you set the "slippage" on your reel to the weight of the lure you are going to use. With the button in and your thumb off the spool, the lure should just barely pull line off the reel as you hold the rod steady, in a horizontal position. If it doesn't, then loosen the brake blocks the slightest tad, until it does. If it slips too fast, tighten up on the brake blocks a smidgen. Hope that helps buddy. B)

Have a good one.

I've used baitcasters for years and agree with a few of the other guys in here as to #14 Stren or even Vanish, (seeing as you like it already anyways) being as tough as you'll need for most stuff. :) Most trebles that you find on crankbaits, will straighten out enough to release the lure, with a steady pull on #14 Stren, so you don't really need 50 or 80 pound line for 2 or 3 pound bass.

Besides, once you find a line you're happy with over the years, it usually does not pay to try out a bunch of others just because someone said they were great. Seriously, get a nice fresh spool of 14-15# Vanish, OR, if you are a "line watcher" like I am, score some flo/blue Stren in #14 or 17# and you wil NOT be disappointed. :D

P.S. Tiny tip... Make sure you set the "slippage" on your reel to the weight of the lure you are going to use. With the button in and your thumb off the spool, the lure should just barely pull line off the reel as you hold the rod steady, in a horizontal position. If it doesn't, then loosen the brake blocks the slightest tad, until it does. If it slips too fast, tighten up on the brake blocks a smidgen. Hope that helps buddy. B)

Have a good one.

Welcome to the board! You will fit in well here, already giving good advice!

the way i set my baitcaster up is to hold it at a 45...let the luer fall and after an overspin just back the brake on a little this will cause the baitcaster never to birdsnest...but you will not be able to cast as far as you want to but it is a good way to get used to thumbing the spool which is how you get the cast long without it birdsnesting...once you get onto the thumbing part you can lossin of the brake and you will be casting like a pro....you have to get that thumb educated...........you"ll get it .....good luck.

For a reel the size you mentioned, and to fish for Bass etc. I use 20 and 30 pound PowerPro. I prefer PowerPro, but if I can't get it, or I see a bargain, any of the other name brand braids or Fireline will do. The 30 pound braid is about the size of 6-8 pound mono. I find it easy to pick-out overruns and it's strong enough to pull baits off of most snags.

I have used mono. It's okay, but for the type of fishing I do, I prefer braid. Maybe it's because my eyes are old, but I find tangles in mono very frustrating!

For now, forget about the pound strength of braid. Think about the size of line you might use, if it were mono, then buy the same diameter of braid...If the box says 50 pound, so what? The extra strength is a bonus. If your worried about it not being "sporting" take up fly fishing and use two pound test leaders...HAHAHA.

Here's a tip to stretch your dollar that will work with spinning or casting reels...Spool up about 3/4 full with cheap mono, or some of that old twisted stuff off your spinning reel...grin...You will never see it again, so anything will do. Then add 40 or 50 yards of braid on top, to fill the spool. You will never cast into the backing, and you will get two or three refills from your one package of super line.

Garry2rs

Maybe it's because my eyes are old, but I find tangles in mono very frustrating!

My eyes aren't that old and I find mono tangles very frustrating too. Glad to hear someone echo that sentimemt. Actually, I just got back from grabbing a spool of 17lb Stren mono after all these posts praising mono. I'll spool er up and we'll see how she compares. I had a real frankenmix on the spool anyway, ancient 25lb mono backing, 45 lb ice fishing braid in the middle and maybe 30ish yards of 20lb powerpro at the end. I'm skeptical mind you.

Pull out as much line as you are comfortable with casting and put a piece of tape across the line and spool. No more back lashes, and if you do get one, it won't be that deep in the spool.

As far as line goes - much easier to learn with mono - 17 Lb. minimum.

Lots of good info so far. Starting out with 14 or 17 lb mono is a great idea. Don't buy the really cheap stuff though. It's too stiff.

Vanish....check the web to see what fishermen think of that stuff....lol.

I have used 12 to 50 lb braided line on my baitcasters. I have narrowed it down to 20 lb braided line. The best braided line I have used is Mason Tiger Braid and Tuf-Line Plus is also excellent but hard to find. I did not like the Power Pro as much as the Mason Tiger braid and the Tuf-Line Plus. The draw back with the Mason Tiger braid is the fact that it is actually 2 types of braid. There is a core of parallel fibers (like Fireline) in the center which is surrounded with a braid. Tying knots in this stuff is touchy. You must inspect the knot after it has been tied. Sometimes, the outer braid gets stripped back at the knot. The only knot that has worked good for me was the simple Palomar knot. For Fireline, I use the Double Palomar knot.

There are sites on the net where there were independant tests done on the different types of lines. Braided lines won all the contests (strength, abraision etc). The tests were done with 20 lb test mono and 20 lb test braid. The best mono for abraision resistance is good old Stren but the reason for this is the fact that 20 lb Stren is quite a bit larger than the other ordinary monos in 20 lb test. Abraision resistance is actually more dependant on the diameter of the line than it's strength. That's why some IGAF monos can be huge even though their tensil strength is low.

Braided line is not 1/2 or 3/4 as small as mono. It's about 40% smaller than mono. 20 lb braid is about 40% smaller than 20 lb mono.

Most lines are way underated for strength. Ex.; 20 lb test Fireline breaks at over 45 lbs. Almost all of the 20 lb test braided lines test over 35 lbs.

However, braided lines due to their lack of elasticity, are not able to withstand much shock. It's like a steel chain compared to a steel wire cable. The cable can withstand much more shock.

If you want to see an excellent site on baitcasting, use the word "fishingelbow" in a search engine. He has probably the best site about the baitcasting world.

Well, I tried my 17lb Stren this morning and was not overly impressed. It was cold, around 0, so that might have effected the line a bit, but I found it tangled easily and not only did tangles run deeper into the spool then with braid but they were more difficult to pick out. Dutch's advice regarding a piece of tape on the spool seems like a good idea with mono although generally not a necessity with thicker braid. I don't think it casted as well as braid either although I'm also using an unfamilliar rod. These are just my experiences.

Edited by Weeds

Braid doesn't cast as far as Mono does. For a first time baitcaster, I'd definitely recommend mono over braid. I've been using a baitcaster for years and there are still times when there is no way in hell I'm getting that backlash out. Mono is also cheaper for the first time user to learn on :)

Also what are you guys mostly fishing for? I usually use a 6 or 8lb mono, 20lb braid at most for anything I fish for. I wouldn't want to cast 17lb mono on a baitcaster, especially that Curado 200DSV the OP posted about...

If you are most fishing bass and pike from the shore, 8lb should be more then enough with a decent leader. If you want to try the braid, 20lb at most (6lb mono diameter). Make sure you setup the reel for different weighted lures, it will make a big difference when you go to cast it...

Braid doesn't cast as far as Mono does. For a first time baitcaster, I'd definitely recommend mono over braid. I've been using a baitcaster for years and there are still times when there is no way in hell I'm getting that backlash out. Mono is also cheaper for the first time user to learn on :)

Also what are you guys mostly fishing for? I usually use a 6 or 8lb mono, 20lb braid at most for anything I fish for. I wouldn't want to cast 17lb mono on a baitcaster, especially that Curado 200DSV the OP posted about...

If you are most fishing bass and pike from the shore, 8lb should be more then enough with a decent leader. If you want to try the braid, 20lb at most (6lb mono diameter). Make sure you setup the reel for different weighted lures, it will make a big difference when you go to cast it...

I was under the impression that the use of higher lb test in baitcasters was due to the mechanics of the reel? and that lighter lines are better suited for spinning gear?

Edited by Riparian

Braided line for sure!

I asked the same question a few years back and tested both braid and mono. I was much happier with braid for a couple reasons.

The main reason is that you wont stretch you line while untangling unavoidable birds nests. This menas you line will last long and will be in better shape to cast.

The second is that i foudn it easier to untangle. With braid you can often pull really hard and get a nest out, with mono you stretch the line again.

Another tip, dont fill the reel with line. This often can create more of a mess (although an experiences baitcast user will get great distance with more line, he may loose some accuaracy) I say fill the spool half way and practice.

And another thing, why does everyone compare bass fishing to pike fishing??? I dont use anything less then musky gear when I fish for pike.

Edited by mepps

And another thing, why does everyone compare bass fishing to pike fishing??? I dont use anything less then musky gear when I fish for pike.

The only difference I see would be the use of a leader.

And as far as the braid vs mono thing on a baitcaster.. I have NEVER had to re-spool when I backspin with mono, once that braid gets tight, forget about it, it's time to break out the scissors. Braid digs in on the reel way worse then mono ever does...

:EDIT: I do like using braid when fishing jerkbaits or top water. Lure control is quite a bit better....

Edited by BillM