Great Day Of Steelheading

solopaddler

I've been steelheading hardcore for 28 years now, and I never fail to get excited on the eve of a trip. No matter how many times I do it there's still that rush, that sense of anticipation when you KNOW it's going to be a good day.

That's the feeling I had this morning on my way to the river...a bonus day to begin with as I took todays afternoon shift off to take the kids out trick-or-treating tonight.

It was supposed to be a solo trip today, but then right at the eleventh hour my uncle who's officially retired as of last month called and said he wanted to join me. Perfect!

Now, this day will be memorable for another reason besides all the fish...

We arrived at our chosen drift this morning around 7am. My uncle who's 70 now sat on a log, rested and smoked a cigar while I rigged up.

"Let's see a fish on the first drift" he yells over..

Okaaay, I carefully slip a roe bag onto my hook, lob my rig into the water in front of me. The float rights itself, drifts downstream maybe 5 feet and BANG! fish on! Then moments later SNAP my 3 piece $700 float rod snaps at the top ferrule, LOL!

Needless to say I lost that first fish. However I quickly regrouped, strung my line through the bottom 2 sections and re-rigged. I'll tell ya, without that tip section it was literally like fishing a float reel on a 2X4, LOL!

Absolutely ZERO give....

I've always claimed I could catch just as many fish with a $30 7' Ugly Stik :D , well I think an unbroken Ugly Stik would have been better :) .

I persevered though and both my uncle and myself put an ungodly amount of steelhead on the bank.(I'm not going to say the number, but it was a lot :) )

Here's a shot of me fishing with my busted float rod

100_1841.jpg

Now, I'm just going to throw up a few pic's from today and let them speak for themselves.

(to those who care, terribly sorry if I took more than 1 pic of each fish :D:D )

100_1836.jpg

100_1844.jpg

100_1850.jpg

100_1858.jpg

100_1859.jpg

100_1860.jpg

100_1861.jpg

100_1862.jpg

100_1869.jpg

100_1873.jpg

Man what a rush!! :D

For those of you who remember my posts last month about my friend Kareem (he's dying of cancer), he's still hanging in there, but suffering immensely, and he told me last week that he wanted to try and fish Picton this week.

Have to admit my hopes weren't high....he's a shadow of the man he was even a month ago, BUT he just called me and said it's game on tomorrow!

I have mixed feelings about it, but if there's any possible way he can tough it out then it'll be worth it.

Leaving tomorrow and hope to have a positive report in a couple days :) .

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

You had to go and post a report!!! Geez...now I wish I went with you after all...oh well...next time!!!

Good luck on the weekend...I know it will be tough, hard, seemingly impossible at times, but I know you guys will make it thru it all. It's all about the companionship and not the fish this weekend.

You had to go and post a report!!! Geez...now I wish I went with you after all...oh well...next time!!!

Good luck on the weekend...I know it will be tough, hard, seemingly impossible at times, but I know you guys will make it thru it all. It's all about the companionship and not the fish this weekend.

Thanks Cliff, and as far as the steelheading goes the real season is just starting, there'll be tons of opportunities.

Bang on Mike, some dandy looking fish!

I know exactly zilch when it comes to steelheading but between you and a few others it sure looks like fun.

Hope your outing with your bud Kareem turns out well!

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Whopper

Another awesome report Mike. Those are some nice fish. Too bad about your rod, but it didn't seem to hamper your fishing at all :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck with Kareem, I hope it turns out to be an unforgettable day for you both.

Joey

Geezzz...you know, life goes on, but it sure has it moments. I enjoy reading your threads and my thoughts are with Kareem. Enjoy the special time you have with him. Boy, he sure has heart...if one is going to suffer, then suffer where you feel the most at peace. Looking forward to your report.