Present From The Dog This Morning

bigfish1965

At six a.m. I hear an absolute shriek from my wife and screams of "OH MY GOD...NO!!!"

I go charging down the stairs cause I knew the dogs would be out for their morning pee and was terrified something had happened to one of them.

I get to the living room and my wife is hysterical. She points at the dogs on the deck...I see nothing wrong.

Then she screams.."He has a dead animal in his mouth!"

I look at my shepherd who is the real hunter and see nothing. Then my rather pudgy Golden Retriever saunters up to the door proud as punch with a cottontail rabbit in his mouth.

I return to find my wife and advise her that from now on that level of shrieking (especially at six a.m.) is to reserved for only one purpose...when her or one of our dogs has been mortally wounded or perhaps when the house is on fire.

Why our neighbourhood rabbit decided to saunter into the fenced area of our yard when the dogs were out...I don't know. Perhaps cause the last time him and the golden went at it he kicked my dogs butt. About a year ago I was outside when my golden spotted the bunny. Normally the rabbit would take to one of four escape routes under the fence. This one time my dog had managed to cut the angles so he couldn't get away. So Kelev has the rabbit at his mercy. I'm trying to distract the dog cause if your dog eats a rabbit, he will be rather ill for days (there is a natural parasite in rabbit intestines that wreaks havoc on a dogs digestive tract).

However, Kelev cornered the rabbit and the rabbit was forced to fight. The rabbit turned a kicked the crap out of my dogs face.

Kelev made a hasty retreat behind me and barked at the rabbit who was now rather proud of himself. I swear the rabbit called him nasty names.Since then the rabbit was king of the yard, but still respected the shepherd (Jack) enough that he would stay on the other side of the fence...taunting and mocking.

This time was somehow different.

Kelev gave me the rabbit right away..it was still warm, but without any obvious injuries. I put him on the lawn outside of the dogs area to see if he was merely knocked out. It appears not. All I can figure is the rabbit mis-timed his escape and knocked himself on the head somehow trying to get out. My fat golden is not a hunter...he's a couch potato.

My wife is convinced our dogs are murderers and thinks they need counselling. I agree...someone needs counselling.

I have promised my wife to get rid of the evidence before she gets home or before the rabbit police come looking.

Ah yes Rick, I remember it well...blood curdling screams from my wife seem to be timed just when I am doing something relaxing or dangerous, or both!

We live in an area where rabbits are rampant and our yellow lab benson and our two cats oscar and ella keep the population down. Ben can't outrun them but the cats serve as "beaters" and the dog waits for an escapee!

May I suggest that you remove said intestines and fricasee the rest....

Tell your dear wife that in the grand scheme of things rabbits are pretty low in the food chain.

I put him on the lawn outside of the dogs area to see if he was merely knocked out. It appears not.

As I read that part I could picture a teary eyed wife on the deck yelling "Run fluffy Run"

Good timing to this story I was just telling the wife she should dig out some of the bunny recipes because I was planning on going after some in the coming weeks. Can I shoot of your back deck Rick?

Good for your dog, now clean it, cut it up and let him have a treat :). In my house it's not the dogs that are the hunters but the cats. My dear departed Figaro has been known to bring me rabbits, snakes, chipmunks etc... His also passed housemate Tygre has been known to separate a squirrels body from it's tail.

I hope you praised him for his hunting prowess...lol :)

Maureen

LOL, I had a vision of a different kind of "present", on the carpet.

BTW, lots of them die from heart attacks after being caught, it may not have knocked itself senseless on the fence.

At least, thats what I have read. Don't know if its true. Once caught one in a trap(my buds trap, got it around the midsection) got it into my hands, and I could feel its heart beating a mile a minute.

But, soon as its feet touched the snow, it was gone in a flash, and left me with a face full of white fluffy cold stuff, lol.

Rabbit Stew

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A hearty rabbit stew to get you through a cold winter's night! Preparation time, 30 minutes; Cooking time, 3 hours. Serves 4 to 8.

1 stewer rabbit, cut up 1

475 mL water 2 cups

1 beef bouillon cube 1

5 mL salt 1 tsp

1 mL pepper 1/4 tsp

2 mL rosemary 1/2 tsp

1 medium onion, chopped 1

5 medium carrots 5

5 medium potatoes 5

1 medium turnip 1

60 mL flour 1/4 cup

60 mL water 1/4 cup

1 clove garlic, crushed 1

In a large dutch oven, lightly brown the rabbit pieces in cooking oil. Add water with dissolved bouillon cube, salt, pepper and rosemary. Cover tightly and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until rabbit is getting tender.

While rabbit is cooking, peel and chop vegetables. Remove rabbit from heat and pick out fine bones: ribs and back bones. Add vegetables to rabbit pot, simmer 40 minutes longer. Mix flour, remaining water and garlic, add to stew, cook with stirring until slightly thickened.

That was hilarious. My yellow lab chases the rabbits in our local park. Has been right on top of them at times. I'm convinced she has no intentions of catching them, just enjoys the chase.

You have to be careful. One of these days the rabbit could turn out to be a skunk in disguise. That's how my lab got it last sumer.

My wife shreiks like that but only while I'm driving past a store front and she spots a SALE. Can't tell you how many times I thought we were about to be T-boned only to find out the shriek was caused by 50% off shoes. :angry: