new bait casting reel

moemoe

Question for you all, my wife says she'll pay for a new reel for my b-day and I want I new baitcaster, what would you recommed? to be used for all round fishing, bass, pike, walleye and the odd time casting for some muskies. I was thinking about either a shimano calcutta 400, or a quantumn energy 760, Curious what everyone else thinks, Thanks Moe

I'm going to enter a shameless plug for Pete's combo. I have two, 8 1/2 foot medium/heavy rods with his reels attached and they are performing beautifully. The length is great for casting big baits and I haven't come close to a backlash. My birds have to build their own nests. I've loaned the rod to four others and they'll all four be owners in 2008.

I've had the combos only two years, for 45 days of fishing, so we'll have to see how they do over time.

I think the calcutta 400 size might be a bit too big. Have you looked at the Calcutta 200GTB? They have more bearings than the calcutta b. I have a Calcutta 151 myself and for a 3 bearing reel, it's pretty damn smooth. I would get the 200 gtb but it doesn't come in a left hand. It's an 8 bearing reel for $290. Just my 2 cents.

I was suprised how many mentioned abu, never really thought about them, I feel that am partial to trying the quantumn as i have an energy spinning combo and it's been great, but I have heard lots of the durability of the calcutta, curious why people would say a 400 is to big though? How can a reel be to big? when really as long as the drag is smooth who cares about the extra line capacity, but that's just a guess

Edited by moemoe

Most guys like to palm the reel and for most stuff the 400's a tad big...although I really don't mind casting with it for a few hours at a time, throwing big baits for muskie. I have a Quantum PT501 that I bought at least 4 years ago. Use it all the time and still smooth as silk. Really hard to have an "all around" reel for all species.

I throw in one more vote for the abu C3's. Picked myself up a 6501 back in May, cost is quite reasonable and have been very happy with it. Probably worth noting that I use it basically just for musky though.....although if it were paired to the right rod I think it would be pretty verstaile.

Personally, I think it's pretty hard to pin down only one reel to fish everything from pickeral to musky, unless you want to keep changing lines & rods for the different species.

Calcutta 400's are excellent for musky & large pike, but I don't think it would be the proper reel for finessing springtime pickeral, where something smaller may work better. Why not pick only one for now, then save your $$$$ and get something more appropriate for the other species thru the winter ??

I should have been more specific, I want a versitile reel yes, but I have a number of spinning rods, downrigger rigger rods for the specific needs, ie jigging for walleye, but I do not have any baitcasters. So I was hoping to start with a quality, but versitile reel, so really yes it would be used for pike/musky and throwing some of the non-finesse bass baits, and a spare trolling rod for up at the cottage. Any thoughts on the quantumn energy? Anyone think it would have a problem with heavier baits?

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUANTUM-ENERGY-PT-E-76...bayphotohosting

Edited by moemoe

Whatever your choice, don't get a high speed reel if you're looking for an all-around reel. 5.1:1 is a good middle of the road gear ratio to start with. There are also bass reels you can get with a wide spool that will help if you need extra line capacity. Reels are reels IMO, go to the counter and find one that feels nice. Until you reel-y <_< feel you need a different outfit for each situation, most brands have a reel that would suit your needs just fine. Just something to think about...

I have a quantum PT accurist ,and man thats an amazing reel for the price !!!! i have used mine hard for a few years and its great,even for salmon once....but its up to you,if money isnt an option than go for a curado...there is several models of them and range from 270-500 bucks....they also come with a lifetime warranty i think....several of my freinds have them and they will last forever,and are very reliable....just like the ABU's they keep going :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: