Georgian Bay Chromers

solopaddler

After mulling over our options on Friday my buddy Dave and I decided to head north to Georgian Bay.

The weather forecast was calling for a high of 8 degrees on Saturday with 10mm of rain overnight and another 10mm during the day.

We were hopeful the cool temps and cold rain would push some fresh fish into the river.

As it turns out there was little or no rain overnight and it didn't really start raining in earnest 'till about 10am,

so at least the morning was perfect weather for steelheading and very comfortable.

We drove up in separate vehicles so that we could leave one vehicle downstream, then drive up to our starting point and make our way back to the 1st car. We made a day of it and fished a lot of nice water

which otherwise we wouldn't have seen.

Anyhow the first fish was hooked, I fought it for quite a while then it broke me off..

Here's a shot of the fight

100_1751.jpg

Now this is really amazing to me. 10 minutes later I hooked a second fish in the same

spot, only this one didn't fight quite as hard..

Turned out it was the same fish, there was my first hook broken off in it's mouth when

I landed it! (that fish was either REALLY hungry or REALLY stupid :D )

100_1753.jpg

100_1754.jpg

Didn't feel so bad about losing the first fish after that. :D .

These fish were absolutely electric! But that's par for the course for the particular strain of wild fish that run this river.

The next one streaked 50 yds downstream the second I set the hook with me stumbling and bumbling after

it :P . Gotta love it though, that's what it's all about!

100_1755.jpg

It's been a loooong day, so I'm just going to throw up the rest of the pic's minus the comentary.

They'll speak for themselves anyway :) .

Oct1307-2.jpg

Oct1307-1.jpg

100_1756.jpg

100_1757.jpg

100_1758.jpg

100_1759.jpg

100_1762.jpg

100_1763.jpg

100_1765.jpg

And finally, a shot of the competition :) .

100_1764.jpg

By 3:30 the river was becoming blown out from the rain and the action was tapering off

noticeably. No problem though, we'd had our fill...it was an incredible day, definitely one

I'll remember for a while! :)

Once again the vast majority of the fish were caught on large (quarter sized) chartreuse

and hot pink roe bags.

Because of the off coloured water no finessing was required as far as tippet goes...

Under clear conditions I usually run 5 or 6lb fluorocarbon, today we ran 5 and 6lb

Maxima Ultragreen (for those that care about the details :) ).

Cheers, Mike :Gonefishing:

Sweet steelies! :thumbsup_anim:

Note: I would think twice about putting your float reel in the water where you walk around. The water has micro sand particles that will get into the reel. Sorry if you already know this and clean it after your day of fishing. Just thought I would point it out because I hate when that happens to me.

Great day of fishing!

Aaron

Sweet steelies! :thumbsup_anim:

Note: I would think twice about putting your float reel in the water where you walk around. The water has micro sand particles that will get into the reel. Sorry if you already know this and clean it after your day of fishing. Just thought I would point it out because I hate when that happens to me.

Great day of fishing!

Aaron

You're right of course. On the other hand anytime I hear that "grinding" "ratchety" noise, one quick dunk and shake in the river and I'm good to go :) .

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt.............My instincts told me to go North yesterday,..but somebody talked me into going east just cuz he caught his first fish there after 51 outings,...and East SUCKED.....not Mentioning any names...lol Got to remember to ALWAYS TRUST MY INSTINCTS,....Awesome report,...thanks for sharing!!!