Converting a boat to a dream walleye boat

DonC

My oldest brother for our annual brother's French River trip took a new Lund 18 foot SSV and converted it to his notion of what a dream fishing boat for him would be. It worked great. 4 of us brothers fished the French this year in it. Here is the boat and his story on how he did it.

http://www.correllconcepts.com/boat_conversion.htm

Don C

Here are my brother John's reply to 2 questions.

Reply to spooner – post #9

All of the in-seat (or under-seat) flotation was left in place – no need to remove any of it.

---------------------------------------------------

Reply to Pigeonfisher – post #5

Here’s the cost breakdown for the entire rig (Spring 2006, U.S. dollars, including tax):

4250 Lund SSV-18

450 Lund boat cover

200 Cover support bows/hardware

1800 EZ Loader trailer

7500 Evinrude E-TEC 60 hp

370 Three Cabela’s AGM 12v batteries

160 Pro Sport 20 plus battery charger

800 Minn kota Powerdrive trolling motor

800 Two Humminbird sonars

60 Two 6-gallon fuel tanks

500 Four Tempress seats

300 10 stainless seat bases

100 Four 13” seat pedestals

150 Four stainless seat mounts

150 Two 3/8” sheets marine plywood

120 Deco Dot vinyl for floor (5 running yards)

1500 Hardware: extruded aluminum; stainless steel nuts, bolts, etc. (high estimate)

225 Five nets for side storage

45 Portable running lights

45 Hatch cover

50 Rule bilge pump

500 Whatever else I bought but couldn’t recall for this list

$20,075 TOTAL

Although I aspired to create an affordable rig, my main objective was to create exactly the boat that I wanted. After completing the project, I saw ways to create a really nice walleye rig for about $15,000 (by coincidence, the very price that you mention). It wouldn’t be exactly the same as the above rig, but it would be similar in many ways. I’m in the process of writing an article, for posting on my website, that explains how it could be done. I expect to have it written in a few weeks.

Wow...what a fantastic boat! Carefully designed from years of experience out there.

I'm just trying to get my hands on a 14 foot tinny with a 20hp motor on it...maybe one day I can aspire to have a boat like this...wow...that's all I can say!

I certainly admire anyone who has the skill and patience to take on such a project and the finished product has some features I wish I had on my rig but I think if you added 10-12 grand or more for labour your at 32+ grand, you can get a lot of boat for that money in the States I would guess near Pro V money.