My Friend Is Dying

solopaddler

Don't quite know what to say here except I guess it's my turn to lean on you guys....

There's 3 people in my life who would do anything for me at the drop of a hat, no questions asked.

My dad, my uncle and my friend Kareem. Kareem has been there for me through thick and thin over the

last 17 years and we've spent a lot of time on the water together, he's a pretty important person to me.

Two weeks ago he was fishing Nipissing with his wife when he suddenly lost the use of his right arm,

he thought he had a mild stroke. As it turns out he's apparantly got 6 inoperable tumours in his brain.

No previous symptoms, and the guy's only 51 years old....it's just not fair!

Yesterday he had his first chemo treatment and it didn't go very well, in addition they're giving him maybe

8 weeks to live.

Now this isn't a eulogy, 'cause if there's anyone who can beat the odds it's Kareem, but I'm having a bit of

a hard time dealing with this.

I'm not an overly religious person but I do believe in the power of positive thinking and prayer, and well,

I think my buddy could use some.

I'm headed up to my cabin on Thursday with Louis (aniceguy from the board) and tried to talk Kareem

into joining us last night...Figured regardless of how crappy he felt and what might possibly happen it

would be a good thing to do considering the circumstances...Don't think he's going to make it though

unless he has a dramatic turnaround in the next 24 hours.

This kind of thing just rips my guts out and if it wasn't for my family I think I'd go nuts.

The last couple of days my 4 year old daughter Riley has been my focus and my lifeline...

Yesterday was her very first day of school ever....big day.

Here she is with mommy waiting for the school bell to ring

100_1673.jpg

And standing in line with the other kids (man was she excited :) )

100_1675.jpg

Mike

Oh man Mike....this is terrible news. Fifty one is far too young. We're very sorry to hear this news.

We'll have him, as well as yourself and anyone else who knows him in our thoughts and prayers.

Your daughter is very cute...I'm sure she'll enjoy school...congrats on a big milestone!!

Cliff & Carole

Sorry to hear of Kareem's condition. Like you I'm not religious but I will think of him and pray for him. I hope that it will be easy for him, you and his family. I wish a turnaround for him.

Congratulations on your daughters first day of school. I hope she enjoys it. The next 12 years will go amazingly fast for you. It seems like yesterday that my son started kindergarten, he has just started grade 12 this September. We cannot get over how fast the time has sped by us.

I can still hear my mother's words the day he first started: "I'm glad to see him start school, neither your father or I will be around to see him go to high school." You know what? They are both here to see him in his final year of school, I hope they are still here to see him go through college. He is their youngest grandchild, and the most spoiled of them all, but on the flipside he still goes there everyday and is a great help to my father.

Again, terribly sad to hear of your Buddie's trouble.

From my family to yours and your friend Kareem our thoughts and prayers are with you. Just try to stay positive and cherish every moment that you spend with him.

Congrats on your daughters first day of school. It's just like pikehunter said "it goes by too fast". My son just sarted grade 1, but SK & JK went by way to fast, enjoy them.

Mike, there's not much anyone can say to make you or Kareem's family feel any better. There just are no words. The thing that you have to be grateful for is that for the past seventeen years, you have been a loyal friend to Kareem and he to you. That's already a lot. He'll have my thoughts for sure.

As for little Riley, she is starting a great journey that will make you proud all of your life. Cherish these moments as I know that that alone takes some of the stress away from thinking of Kareem.

Be well.