Thunder Bay Sunset (photography)

danc

First of all, I have an announcement to make. Since there seems to be so much interest in photography on OFC, we (the mods) have decided that a photography forum is a good idea. It will be a place to discuss photography in general, as well as attempting to answer your questions about cameras, techniques, and all things related to photography. Digital photography and fishing go hand in hand these days. And beyond that. It will be a place to show and discuss your non fishing photographs. Of course your fishing photos are very much wanted in the general fishing forum, and always will be. The new forum should be up in a few days. In the meantime, here's a photo (or is it a combined series of photos?) that my better half Sis took last night. The answer will be in the new forum. I'm looking forward to seeing you all there. Look for it. It's coming soon.

nitas.jpg

Great idea Dan. :thumbsup_anim: Can't wait - seems like there are quite a few good photographers in the community.

(Looks like a composite of more than one image cos there's some ghostly shapes on the horizon where they've been merged)

Great idea Dan. :thumbsup_anim: Can't wait - seems like there are quite a few good photographers in the community.

(Looks like a composite of more than one image cos there's some ghostly shapes on the horizon where they've been merged)

It looks like there's some interest in this. That's great. And 007, you're on the right track. We'll talk about that photo and more in the new forum. See you there.

Sounds like a cool idea Dan. One thing about photography though is it's always subject to criticism or praise. People when they post their photos tend to only want one, not the other. In the forum it should be mentioned that photos are subject to both... not to upset anyone but, to make an even better photographer.

I remember one fella getting slammed for his opinions on what was a great photo but agreably could have been slightly better if.... yada yada. That kind of thing p's some people off. Pictures are totally subjective and peoples good or bad thoughts about a pic should not lead to bad blood but instead reflection by the photographer. Those posting pics in the forum who can't handle constructive criticism shouldn't post. Those looking to criticize who can't handle futher debate shouldn't post.

Personally, I don't like seeing a crooked horizon in any shot a horizon is visible... first and foremost that's the first thing I look at in any photo and if it's not straight in my eyes it has no chance of being a "great" shot... (maybe a good one, but not a great one) Now that I've said that I shouldn't have to tell anyone. :thumbsup_anim::wallbash::thumbsup_anim: It's this kind of thing that a photography forum should offer though... honesty, whether liked or not.

I think that's a terrific idea Dan( and Mods ).

It seem like for many of us on the board, photography has become an 'extention' of our fishing experiences.

I look forward to the special photography area and all the photos, both fishing and non-fishing, that I expect I'll see there. Also hope to contribute from time to time.

And hey, it'll be a great source of inspiration for Pamela and her painting, I'll bet!

Cheers!

Great idea Dan. I'll be looking forward to it!

Moosebunk, you raise a great point. Perhaps the construction of the forum could take this into consideration and allow the poster to make the choice to invite criticism.

Photography forum

>Tips/Reviews/Discussion Subforum (no photos)

>Art Gallary Subforum (display your best photos)

>Critics Corner (post your photo inviting critique)

-or-

Maybe (if possible) a way to rate photographs. If ratings are not possible we post a picture with a poll (1-crap to 5-great) for those that want to guage thier efforts.

P.S. Moosebunk, I can appreciate your horizon peeve... my avatar drives me nuts! A big fish in a small rocking boat with a few seconds to get "the shot" doesn't allow for good framing. Adding criticism to a photo post might help people consider more than the subject in thier next shot. One of my peeves are kid shots taken from an adults eye level.

-Brian

***EDIT***

Maybe Terry could manage a Photoshopping subforum!

Edited by SlowPoke