Got out tonight - Didn't get what I wanted

ccmtcanada

Well, Bly and I headed to a spot where we've heard some people were hooking some Salmon! We've gone out for the past 3 nights, and while we've heard that there have been hookups, we haven't witnessed one, until tonight. A guy was there with his son, and sure enough I hear the drag peeling TONS of line! The fish went about 50 yards in about 1 second....leaving a HUGE wake across the surface of the water. I dont know how you are supposed to bring one of those in unless you have a HUGE reel with about 500 yards of line on it and then HOPE it doesn't hit any structure...which by the way is EVERYWHERE....LOL.

Anyhow, after casting spoon after spoon....crankbait after crankbait....massaging my poor shoulder every night, I decided to put a lindy rig on, and put a good ole fashioned worm on it. I then sat down and relaxed.

Suddenly, I get a strong hit...I begin to reel it in and my first thought was "I wonder what this is...it cant be a bullhead...they dont actually fight". I knew it was a small fish, but the thing actually jumped out of the water...LOL. Anyhow, didn't measure or weigh it but here it is...my PB Bullhead...LOL. I look absolutely thrilled dont I??? haha.

cliffbullhead.jpg

Thanks for reading this...hope you were not too bored....haha.

Well if you squint really hard and look from a funny angle it kinda looks like a salmon - ahh who am I kidding but nice bullhead all the same :)

LOL Sean...thanks for trying to make me feel better...haha. Dont little bullheads grow up to be salmon? Thought I read that somewhere...

I wasn't bored at all!!!! So are they casting large spoons close to shore for the salmon?

This was the first hook up I've seen. Of all the people I've talked to, no one has seen one actually landed yet. I think they are now staging...waiting for cool weather and RAIN! Man...do we ever need rain...and lots of it...not just for fishing, but for my poor lawn...LOL

Man...do we ever need rain...and lots of it...

Nice report Cliff!

As far as needing rain, well if you're into catching salmon off the piers and breakwalls this fall is shaping up to be a banner year as less rain is better.

With no water in the creeks the fish will stack up like crazy in the estuaries. The only real factor for success is water temps and they'll inevitably start to drop within a week or so....

I'll start worrying about the lack of rain when October rolls around and it's time to start catching steelhead ;) .

Hey Cliff,

I was @ the credit last weekend - didn't hook into anything myself but a few other people did. They were most active between midnight and 4 a.m. I got there @ 4 and watched a few people leaving with salmon in their nets. And a couple others hooked into them between 4 and 9 a.m. You'll get'em!

Good Luck dude!

Cheers,

UF

hey you are getting out fishing, that's all that counts, getting fish is a bonus

and with photoshop and that bad boy can be any monster fish you like

theres the big one...lol sorry too much time on my hands

cliff.jpg

Edited by Terry

hey you are getting out fishing, that's all that counts, getting fish is a bonus

cliff.jpg

LOL Terry...form now on I'm sending you my pics before I post them...

cliff.jpg

LOL Terry, you should have given Cliff a big toothy smile as well!

Cliff, fishing must be tough lately if you're posting that thing! I can't wait for your real posts!

-Brian

Cliff, fishing must be tough lately if you're posting that thing! I can't wait for your real posts!

-Brian

It has been tough..but after what I saw last night with the Salmon, I'm putting the 6 foot 6" rod away...my 9 foot surf rod is coming out to battle those scrappy guys!