Lake Ontario Salmon Mercury Level

HIMTI

A buddy of mine was telling me that i should not eat any Lake Ontario Salmon as it has high level of Mercury in it.

I was wondering if there is any fact to this or is it a myth that just keep getting forwarded around.

Does anyone have any facts or stats about this?

I've caught 5 salmon from the Bronte pier and 2 of them have had some sort of severe deformity. That's enough for me to know that there is no way I'm going to eat any fish out of lake O.

076553.jpg

That appears to be more of a spinal disfigurement than a mercury level problem in my opinion.

Cigarettes, second hand smoke and car exhaust are probably worse for you than the mercury levels in a fish from Lake Ontario. And considering you don't eat the whole fish yourself (or maybe you do for all I know :lol: ), I'd think if you don't eat some every night its pretty safe.

Just had a steelhead from the lake today, and I'm not glowing yet :D

Joey

If you are really concerned, when you bring the fish home, place it in your freezer in a standing postion, tail down.

The next day simply cut the tail off!

Remember most of you in Toronto and the GTA, drink the same water, your veggies are watered, your food cooked in the same water. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

No problems, eh!

• 2 weeks later...
I've caught 5 salmon from the Bronte pier and 2 of them have had some sort of severe deformity. That's enough for me to know that there is no way I'm going to eat any fish out of lake O.

076553.jpg

That's definitely not mercury related. That's just a resilient fish!

If you are really concerned, when you bring the fish home, place it in your freezer in a standing postion, tail down.

:o You're kidding right????? :o

Remember most of you in Toronto and the GTA, drink the same water, your veggies are watered, your food cooked in the same water. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

No problems, eh!

It is not the same as drinking the water etc. Oily, predatory fish like salmon are great bioaccumulators. They have much more concentrated levels of contaminants than does the water....

Burt :)

whats the big deal just a little pollution.its not like u arent exposed everyday.breathing car and factory exhaust.pesticides in fruit and veggies.harmones and steroids in meat and poultry.cholrine from shower steam inhale deep its good for us.we are toxic creatures so go with it,no sense in trying to stop or avoid eat some fish.i eat a couple fish from lake o each year and im not glowing to bright.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is 4 year old but i found it googling to find out if this was true since my buddy told me he was disappointed that he could only eat 1 a month or so and i though this comment was hilarious. Lol a fish thermometer.

One salmon should last you a while. Read up on the guide to eating sport fish and it will tell you which parts to cut out. A recent Marketplace episode showed that 2/3 of the chickens they tested (over 100 different brands) had salmonella on them, and even worse, the top brands like Maple Leaf and President's Choice had salmonella that was resistant to 7 and 8 (respectively) different antibiotics, so eating one fish should be the least of your worries.

I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again, if you wish to eat fish with possible mercury contamination just be sure to freeze them first. But do so while they stand upright (vertically, head down) in your freezer, then remove the head and all mercury contamination will be gone! whistling.gif

I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again, if you wish to eat fish with possible mercury contamination just be sure to freeze them first. But do so while they stand upright (vertically, head down) in your freezer, then remove the head and all mercury contamination will be gone! whistling.gif

:rofl2::rofl2:

This comes up and gets kicked around every few years...so let's take a educated look at what this is really about.....$$$$$

IF there was a Great Lakes Fishing Lobbyist like let's say in the meat industry there would be no advisory posted... :whistling:

MORE people....MANY MANY MORE people die from eating red meat everyday then eating any fish world wide...don't believe me...just go to your local hospital and inquire why people are dying of heart attacks daily.....but when you purchase your next T-Bone Steak does it have a advisory on the packaging (at least they don't here in the USA)... :whistling:

Do you get my point I'm trying to get across.... :dunno:

Trim all belly fat off any fish you catch ANYWHERE and enjoy your meal...after all you're not going to live forever.... :rofl2:

Seriously though, how many people do you know died because of eating Lake Ontario fish.... <_<

Or put a magnet in its mouth......all the metal will gravitate towards it...