Vacation Days

tonyb

Hmmm...I guess I am pretty lucky. I get the following....

4 weeks paid vacation = 20 days

Statutory Holidays = 10 days

1 floater day = 1 day

Total days is 31 days.....

I will get an additional week off in 5 years.

Do the numbers mentioned in the first post include stat holidays and sick days? Just curious!

Hmmm...I guess I am pretty lucky. I get the following....

4 weeks paid vacation = 20 days

Statutory Holidays = 10 days

1 floater day = 1 day

Total days is 31 days.....

I will get an additional week off in 5 years.

Do the numbers mentioned in the first post include stat holidays and sick days? Just curious!

I believe it includes Satutory holidays, but not sick days Cliff.

And yes, consider yourself above average in terms of time away from work.

Edited by tonyb

Actually, I'm pretty lucky too. I have 4 weeks paid vacation, another week in 3 years time. Plus 10 days stat holidays, plus my birthday as a floater.

My cousins in the UK have 6 weeks paid vacation plus stat hols plus floaters plus sick days, plus family care days, both of which they can accumulate!!!

At the time of my retirement after 32 years on the job, I was receiving 6 weeks vacation.

We also got 11 lieu days off to make up for the fact that we worked many of the stat holidays, yet never got payed overtime for them.

I also was never payed extra for working overtime, but we could accumulate the time at the rate of 1 1/2 hours off for every 1 hour worked, and then take it off at our convenience.

I had an excellent schedule though, in that we worked long hours...10 hour days & 14 hour nights....then got a bunch of days off in a row. I actually only worked 14 days a month, yet it still averaged out to 42 hours per week, before overtime.

I could book 4 nights off work, put them in the middle of my regular days off and actually be gone for 2 weeks at a time.

I still find my current schedule to be the most attractive of all the others I've ever worked over the years though, and think perhaps I'll stick with it ;)

I'm self employed, so in theory, I can take as many vacation days as I want. However, things don't really work that way as I'm sure Tennesseeguy can attest too. :P

I went about 4 years working 60-80 hours a week and rarely ever took a day off. Then one day I realized I was the spitting image of my workaholic father and decided to tone things down.

I too believe that burnout is real and that everyone benefits from a vacation now and then, but I don't believe paid vacation time should be mandatory. Personally, I'm kind of sick of how so many Canadians expect and want our government to take care of every facet of our lives. If you don't like the amount of vacation time you're getting then get another job or take it up with your employer. Paid vacations are a luxury, not a right.

here in Ontario it is a right / a law

labour laws state that a certain % based on your wage will be vacation pay and will be accumulated or paid and employers must pay it

unless you are unionized then it goes by whatever you have in your contract

Personally, I'm kind of sick of how so many Canadians expect and want our government to take care of every facet of our lives.

I think it is the employers responsibility to handle vacation pay, not the Government.

I actually envy people who are entrepreneurs because you don't have a boss breathing down your neck and you likely don't work in a cubicle. However, most entrepreneurs work longer hours and vacation is scarce compared to the typical 9-5 wage slave. I guess we can't have the best of both worlds eh? :wallbash:

Tony

Terry,you used that "U" word. tisk, tisk, tisk. LOL

Tony, you speak the truth. I once had a good bussiness going.Fences and Decks. My own boss and had three great workers. Life was good.Then the housing industry slowed and everyone was a fence/deck builder.Cut throuting each other, lead me to go back to the industrial sector. Man I miss that freedom of being your one boss.

I still build here and there for $,just my way at getting back at the low ballers.

I think it is the employers responsibility to handle vacation pay, not the Government.

I actually envy people who are entrepreneurs because you don't have a boss breathing down your neck and you likely don't work in a cubicle. However, most entrepreneurs work longer hours and vacation is scarce compared to the typical 9-5 wage slave. I guess we can't have the best of both worlds eh? :wallbash:

Tony

Yeah, I believe it would be nice, and it really would be beneficial if employers did take care of paid vacations. Someone in this thread mentioned paid vacations as an election issue, and I was simply stating that I don't believe that the government should control the people to that extent. I mean, there are a lot of things I won't do, and feel strongly against, but I try not to let my values and ideas impede on the rights of others. Even though I think paid vacations do have a positive impact on productivity in most cases, who am I to tell anyone how to run their business?

Also, I've always envied entrepreneurs too, but not guys like me. lol I envy the guys that are smart enough to run their businesses without lifting a finger (I'm not sure those guys even exist though)

Honestly, there's been several times in my life where I've envied the 9-5er's. Sometimes not having a boss breathing down your neck can be just as much of a burden as having one. I mean, for a lot of my friends work ends on Friday at 5pm, whereas I don't have that luxury. I'm sure there are others here that can relate.

edit: @ Terry, I don't want to knit pick but I believe our current laws stretch way beyond our rights. Hence, I don't believe rights are the same as laws. To be perfectly honest, I think a big problem in modernized countries is that everyone confuses the two. For me, it seems that too many people believe it is their right, that the government takes care of them, from cradle to grave. Whereas, the reality is that they're just damn lucky that everyone is looking out for one another....I'm not quite sure I put that in the best words...it's kind of hard to explain my sentiments.

Edited by canadianguy33

I have NO vacation days! It used to be LAW, that they give you benefits and vacation time after 3 months. Not anymore. They just hire you part time and give you nothing. Thanks to free trade for all the low paying jobs and no benefits. :angry:

It is still the law that you get a minimum of two weeks paid vacation each year. You are legally required to take the time off; it is illegal for a company to pay you not to take two weeks vacation.

I am not sure what you mean by benefits; if are referring to stat holiday pay, then you no longer have to be employed for three months to earn stat holiday pay. You are now entitled to it immediately upon hiring. However the pay is based on your last four weeks of earnings so you may not get paid for the full day if you are new.

If your are referring to health coverage etc. as benefits... companies have never been required to provide these types of benefits; it is strictly optional.

The above points refer to employees; if you are self employed that is whole different ball game. However, most so called "self employed" people would be considered to be employees if they or their companies were ever audited.

Edited by JohnBacon

Are we not all employees? Regardless of who's signature is on the bottom of your cheques it is our customers who pay our bills. If we are capable of setting up an organization that can properly service our customers and allow certain luxuries (ie. company cars, vacation time, bonuses, increased wages and/or perforormance based bonuses) to the employees that we work with on a daily basis then we have succeeded. As the captain of the ship you work for your employees and your customers, your employees make certain sacrifices for the benefit of the companies overall good. GREAT leaders and entrepeneurs generally understand that satisfied employees make for a succesful company, they also understand that they themselves are not the reason a company succeeds or fails but merely a facilitator in the growth of it's people.

More man hours down here in the states than Europe, yet Europe is more productive.........Ill explain that one. Were all aware of it down here and were ticked off so we spend all our time on the internet reading Fishing related internet discussion forums at work!!

"Lisa, if you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."

— Homer Simpson

Guest Johnny Bass
Damn, why do I, or anyone pay taxes then??

Exactly. Why do we elect these people if not to make a better life for all of us? It should be a right AND law that people are given health benefits and vacation pay. Other than Canadian guy... I dont think anyone can argue with that.

could be worse!!!!!!! we could be in the canadian forces fighting with inadequte equipment and half assed armoured vehicles with the high chance of death everyday.

Im greatful for every day i spend with my family. i work long hours and do 60 to 70 thousand km a year travelling around the province away from them. But at least i dont have to worry about roadside bombs or bullets flying by my head everyday. (unless im in scarlem)

When you think you got it bad remember those who have it worse.

Cheers!

Exactly. Why do we elect these people if not to make a better life for all of us? It should be a right AND law that people are given health benefits and vacation pay. Other than Canadian guy... I dont think anyone can argue with that.

Well, someone already pointed out that vacation pay still is mandatory in Ontario. I wouldn't know because I've been self employed for years and I don't have employees so correct me if I'm wrong. Also, we do have universal health care, so what's your beef?

From what I understand, vacation pay isn't paid by my taxes. Rather it is in fact part of your pay that is deducted from your paycheck. I do disagree with the government forcing anyone to forfeit part of their earnings to participate in a mandatory vacation program, but that's really really low on my list of grievances with our current government.

If I were forced to pay taxes so everyone had paid vacations you're damn right I'd argue against that. If you don't like the way you're compensated at your job then go out and get a new one. Stop passing the buck and man up. I did.