Who owns what?

English

Listening to the radio today back in blighty, I listen to talk sport radio 1053 - 1089 MW morning radio is usually hosted by John Gaunt ( Gaunty) top bloke, but the last 2 weeks whilst he is on holiday Terry Christian famous for something cant really remember what doesnt really matter. He had a debate going which got a lot of people very angry, which was who actually owns the land your house is built on?? I always thought that as I bought my house freehold which I took to mean I owned the lot including the ground beneath it as well and the ground beneath that too, but no apparently the queen basically owns nearly everything :wallbash: He also went on to say that she owns most of Canada as well, that is it may belong to some huge canadian insurance company but they lease it or what ever from her.

Is he talking rubbish, I sincerely hope so what do you guys recon.

Sorry in advance because I am sure a few will be rather upset.

Regards Clive

Here in Canada, you think you own the land, but you really don't! Case in point, the government ( the Queen) can and will expropriate your land for a new say, airport, road etc... so in reality, you really don't own the land!

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Sounds like eminant domain here in the States. Basically, if the government wants or needs your property for some reason, it's theirs to take. See the following link about it...it talks about the laws in the UK also. As for 'The Queen' leasing Canada to a big insurance company because she owns it...well, that just sounds a bit too far-fetched to believe. But, I never say 'never'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminent_domain

Your land can only be expropriated for roads within a certain distance of the edge of your property and depending on how your land is zoned that is different.

Also it is possible that when you buy property unless you have the water and mineral rights written into the dead your land can be used for test drilling and mining if the goverment deams it warrants that. If you own an acre or less likely they won't strip mine your backyard, but if you own a couple hundred acres in an area that is common to be mined then its a good idea to have that written in.

At least thats what I know from friend having had roads put through there property(some were able to block roads. One case I have seen first hand 4 lane paved divided roads just ends in a dead end. :)

Actually... what most people do not realize that they only own the surface rights to their land... generally, and I mean generally, up north here anyway... the crown retains mining rights and sometime timber rights... check your deed.....

This means that If I am a prospector I can (under the provincial mining act) tromp all over your property in search of minerals.... ie stake claims...

I won't pretend I know a lot about land rights in Canada, but I know enough to be disturbed. If the government wants your land they can take it, with or without compensation.

Rent control, zoning laws, building codes, and land transfer taxes are all crap in my opinion. We should be allowed to do as we will with our land without interference from the government unless we impede on another persons individual or property rights.

Edited by canadianguy33

I always thought that as I bought my house freehold which I took to mean I owned the lot including the ground beneath it as well and the ground beneath that too, but no apparently the queen basically owns nearly everything :wallbash: He also went on to say that she owns most of Canada as well,

Clive, I really have no idea but if the Queen does own the land my house is on, I wish she or Chuck would drop over once and awhile to cut the grass. Would free up more time for me to go fishing :Gonefishing:

"Your land can only be expropriated for roads within a certain distance of the edge of your property and depending on how your land is zoned that is different."

That's not exactly true. The crown can expropriate any and all lands. The common road allowance is 66'. Anything in that zone belongs to the Crown. Anything outside of it can be expropriated. What a dirty B.

I've seen expropriation first hand and it isn't pretty. However, expropriation is always a last resort. In my experience, the Crown's representatives have always tried to reach a fair agreement with the property holder. Of course, that was in Manitoba where the price of real estate is less.

LOL.... funny you guys mention this... here in Hamilton we have a notorious house.... On Dundurn St (Down the mountain) a developer bought a piece of property by buying out the houses etc on it.. now there is a shoppers drug mart, a fortinos, Tim Hortons and McDonalds etc... But one person in particular would not sell his house unless they paid him a certain amount... they refused.. the city got involved.. and he still refused... apparently he was taken to arbitration etc.. but he wouldnt budge... so what did they do? they built a 10' fence around his tiny house and paved the rest!... poor fella... nothing but road noise for him now... and the smell of Mcmuffins in the morning...

As far as I know England no longer has land rights to Canada as we are a sovereign Nation and rule ourselves. We still honour the Queen etc.. but she has no say when it comes to laws or our land... We Honour her for sake of tradition. The Queen cannot take your land... however the GOV can...

Gerritt.

We had a local guy try the same thing Gerritt. The developer was putting in 1.5 million dollar houses and he wanted a good chunk of coin for his the last lot in the middle of the development. They told him he was being silly with his price but he countered that while the land and his house was not worth the price he wanted the lack of a pig farm in the middle of the new devopment was........ Yup he won he got his price and retired off the gains.

Art

and he still refused... apparently he was taken to arbitration etc.. but he wouldnt budge... so what did they do? they built a 10' fence around his tiny house and paved the rest!

I have passed this house many times and wondered what on earth possessed the owner to be so stubborn and stupid?

But then I think, Wow! What a piece of property for a business! Look at all the surrounding exposure and the use of all of that great big parking lot for free! I know it isn't his to use, but you know how it is, people will park there regardless.

You would think that owning land with oil underneath would make you a millionaire out here in Sask and Alberta. Wrong, government owns a certain depth. Oil companys pay the farmer a small bit of change to dig a road(lease) on his land and put up an ugly tank or two with a well head. The farmer may get a thousand a month depending how long it produces.

As far as the Queen, she is just a figure head in Canada and we are paying taxes to pay for a Governor General. Even less in Quebec which I agree. We are no more, just mere colonialists. We won our independance by sacrafice for the Brits with our blood in South Africa, Vimy, Dieppe, and the Scheldt Estuary. If you dont believe me Google Canadian Independance. As far as the announcer is concerned. He is wrong. Today soldiers are fighting under a Canadian flag for a NATO Commander. NOT BRITISH. Thank-you very much.