5 Days Of Fishing In N/W Quebec

solopaddler

With everyones schedule so busy, it's usually next to impossible to arrange trips to the cottage with any of my extended family.

This most recent trip was supposed to be myself, my wife Joanne and my young daughter heading up. My mother kindly offered to watch our 9 month old son while we were gone (more of a holliday for Joanne), so we were set. Then last Friday evening at virtually the last second my brother in law called to say he'd like to join us, along with my 13 year old nephew Ryan and my mother in law.

Great, the more the merrier!

The main reason they came up was because I've got an old beater 14' aluminum up there that I promised to my nephew. I'm guessing that he bugged his dad to death 'till he finally gave in and agreed to come up to collect the old boat and bring it home. The kid is a fishing fanatic and I'm sure he'll have that old tub all fixed up and fishing with it in no time...

Anyhow, when we arrived last Saturday it was unbelievably hot, humid and calm. Pretty much everyone except my mother in law jumped in the lake for a swim after unloading to cool off.

All the comotion attracted our resident family of ducks which Riley likes to feed. This time her uncle Dale helped her.

100_1533.jpg

100_1532.jpg

Before dinner I brought Ryan out for a quick fish along with Riley and Joanne. Ryan managed one pike trolling a worm harness.

100_1523.jpg

100_1526.jpg

Don't have any pic's (I wasn't in the boat), but after dinner Dale and Ryan went out for a troll right at dusk and managed to pick up 8 small walleye, so they were pretty stoked.

Me?, I just relaxed on the deck with drink after driving all day, unloading, then cooking for 6 people :) .

Next morning I brought Dale and Ryan to one of my "spots". We were looking for meat as everyone wanted a fish fry that night.

We managed a handful of eater sized walleye like this one here.

100_1538.jpg

Then something VERY cool happened. We had a few fish on the stringer, and I was fighting another one when suddenly a pretty large pike grabbed my fish and wouldn't let go. I've had that happen before, but I had this fish on for at least 10 minutes. He'd let go, then attack the fish again repeatedly.

Not a great shot, but you can see the pike with my walleye in it's mouth sideways.

100_1541.jpg

After a while he lost interest in the fish on the end of my line and started attacking the fish on the stringer :w00t: .

100_1540.jpg

Most definitely a hungry fish!

After that episide we headed back to camp, piled everyone in the boat and headed to the beach in the n/w corner of the lake, about 10km away.

100_1547.jpg

My wife and her mother enjoying the day.

100_1543.jpg

Riley managed to make a new friend while we were there :) .

100_1544.jpg

100_1546.jpg

We needed a couple more eaters for our fish fry, so I took Ryan over to a nearby spot and with some coaching he managed to get a few more fish. All on jigs (the kids definitely a fast learner and already has a real touch with the jigging rod)

100_1545.jpg

After our feast that night Ryan wanted to go out again, so Dale went with him and snapped this pic

100_1550.jpg

Dale has never been up before and was pretty impressed with the lake. So much so that he asked me if there was anything available on the lake for sale :) .

Well, it just so happens that my next door neighbours on the lake are thinking of selling. The place isn't listed, but I talked with them about it last month.

So we went over and had a look. The place definitely needs work, but if it can be had cheaply enough I think Dale's going to pursue it. That would be amazing, although it would mean a lot of unexpected work for me :P .

Here's a couple shots of the place.

100_1552.jpg

100_1553.jpg

100_1557.jpg

The next day my in laws had to leave, with my old tin boat in the back of Dales truck...(Ryan was ecstatic).

Wish they could have stayed a bit longer, but at least they made it up.

That afternoon Riley and Jo played together on the pump dock.

100_1559.jpg

Me? I pretty much just sat on the deck with a drink in my hand :D .

The next day I had big plans to take my 2 girls on a major fishing expedition to try some new spots that have intrigued me for a while.

Of course it was cool, windy with rain imminent, but we packed a cooler and off we went.

Here we are approaching a narrows which opens up into a fairly substantial back bay, almost a lake in itself really.

100_1584.jpg

Started off trolling harnesses and I scored first with this decent 'eye

100_1561.jpg

Riley got in the act (with mommys help :) ) and landed another decent walleye.

100_1586.jpg

100_1588.jpg

100_1591.jpg

I managed another decent fish shortly afterwards, this one on a jig.

100_1592.jpg

We really started slamming them (I think I found another honey hole :D ), then the skies opened up!

It was a cold, hard driving rain with no let up in sight. We stuck it out for 1/2 an hour hoping it would

pass over, but it only got worse, so back to the cottage it was.

Stoked up the woodstove, made some hot chocolate and after a looong time finally warmed up.

My daughter Riley insisted I post these pic's in the report. She took them herself, and wanted them

included, so here they are :) .

View from the deck

100_1582.jpg

Wild flowers

100_1583.jpg

That's basically it. I had big plans to take the squareback canoe into a new back lake this past trip, but with

our extra guests coming along it just wasn't possible. Not complaining though, it was great having them, and we had a ton of fun!

(the back lakes will still be there in September :) )

cheers, Mike

Great report Mike! You and your family catch more fish in one long weekend then we do in a few months...LOL. Looks like a great time was had by all...your daughter looks to be a natural at the fish posing for pics.

I've got a line on a trolling motor, so with a bit of luck, I'll test out that bracket you gave me this coming weekend!

Thanks for the awesome report. :clapping: Looks like lil Ryan sure has the jigging technique down pat. What a nice weekend that must have been. My family and I are camping out (tents) on lake Biscotasing leaving Saturday mornin for a 7 day excursion. How much is the owner of the cottage asking? The only reason I ask is that my family has been pondering selling our family cottage in the Sturgeon Falls area with total privacy(and i mean total :thumbsup_anim: ) only minutes from the town :whistling I have no ides what the cottage is worth.

Nice ta see the kiddies catch fishies.. Cheers!!

WOW !!!!!!! another great report & pics of the family and all those fish you guys caught, :w00t: yes you must eat very well,and it looks like walleye is on the menu up there,lol..lol..lol :thumbsup_anim::whistling: .. you sure have a great area,and your lake is amazing to have quality fish like that all the time,looking forward to your next report ,thanks for sharing cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: