First time out on Rice Lake -- success!!

frozen-fire

Being a shore fisherman for most, if not all of my life, I decided to give boating a shot and fish an open lake. Decided upon Rice Lake as a starter lake since upon doing some research, it's pretty productive and not many hazards as well.

Yesterday (Aug. 12th), we got to the boat rental around 7:30 AM and couldn't ask for any better conditions. Nice warm sun, and a slight cool breeze.

IMG_2810.jpg

Asked the owner of the place for some good spots to try out and he pointed us in the direction where there have been lots of success lately. We then ventured off to the desired spot and started to chuck some lures for a bit.

IMG_2818.jpg

As time went by, it started to get busy....REALLY busy... probably close to a dozen boats all clumped together, fishing this particular spot.

So, me and the GF decided to venture off and head for some other water where no one else was. We decided to try and hit some walleyes fishing deeper water out in the open. Out towards the middle of the lake, the water was a lot more choppy and we drifted quickly.... didn't feel like anchoring, so I just decide to let the wind/current carry us to wherever.

We jigged along the bottom for a few minutes and I land the first fish of the trip.

IMG_2821.jpg

Back in the water she goes :)

IMG_2822.jpg

Soon after, my gf lands a nice slab!

IMG_2826.jpg

I then instantly get another hit, and I knew that we had hit a school of some pretty decent crappies!

IMG_2829.jpg

We continue to land about half a dozen of these delicious fish but soon drift out of the school and we didnt' catch any more for the rest of the day. We kept these guys for dinner :)

After this point, it was just drifting. We actually anchored one time, but found it was harder to fish just one area exclusively, so we just drifted around most of the day.

We continue to catch a lot of bass. It kinda sucked and got me bummed out that most of the larger fish kept clearing the water and shaking the hook off though, but the consistent action kept me happy.

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

My gf actually hooked into something that was crazy... sliced through 8lb mono that we were using... muskie perhaps?

I also lost a little walleye at boatside.

This is the big fish of the day, a couple ounces under 3 lbs. Lost one bigger than him though :(.

IMG_2848.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

Then the weather turned for teh worse. It got dark, windy and wet. We were getting poured on and we decided to head home. By the time we got back to the dock, we were completely soaked.

Dinner from the crappie I brought home. Delicious.

DSC00526.jpg

All in all, it was a great time out on the water for the first time and will definitely be doing this again soon. This lake seems full of fish!

Hey thats a great fisrt fishing trip!!!!!!! :w00t: ! nice results,and report as well....keep up the good work,and learn as much as you can,dont be afraid to ask for advice...and be open to new things,and ways to fish....keep up the hard work and keep those reports comming cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

So when do you buy a boat :). It's hard to go back to shore fishing after a great day in the boat like yours (of course a lousy day on the water with a rental can remind you how a free day of shore fishing can be nice too but thats another story). Congrats on the nice day, I'm gonna have to try Rice some time, looks like fun.

even for that those that don't have the storage or the vehicle to tow a boat, a canoe, like a sportspal, hooked up with a motor is wicked nice too for those smaller lakes and channels/streams.

i know there are a couple of guys on the board that has this kind of set up.. maybe they can give some advice if you are serious about looking into it.

dude, once you get in a boat, i don't think you want to go back to shore fishing!

well, maybe for the toronto islands..stupid habour license lol

cheers

kevin

Nice report and nice catches! My girlfriend and I were fishing there back in May and didn't have any luck. Caught only sunfish, catfish and crappies. Did you rent the boat from anglers retreat? We should go fishing sometime together my gf and I and the same age group as you guys and we are from the gta as well.

Good report! Rice is a fish factory doesn't surprise me that you had some success. :thumbsup_anim:

I've had some of my best days on the water there.

sharper I was wondering the same thing, awful familiar looking areas.

Smokey don't make me come up and show ya how it's done :lol:

was not anglers retreat.

it was whispering pines next to serpent mounds near town of Keene.

owner is great! very friendly and helpful.

WP and Anglers are neighbors, stones throw from some good fishing.

OBTW your gf is hoisting a very respectable crappie.

Cheers