NF Black Cougar??

wallyboss

I was fishing in Northern Ontario this week and one night coming back from Lake X (I don't name the lake just because I don't know the name) we saw something in the middle of the road that was black, solid black, being far from it we first tought it was a small bear, but getting closer to it we saw that it didn't walk like a bear does, all of a sudden the animal turned sideways and my buddy just jumped on the brakes, it had the round face of a cougar and the long tail of a cougar but it was all black. One leap and it had jumped over the creek on the side of the road. I lived in Northenr Ontario for 22 years and I have been hunting and fishing Northern Ontario for as long as I can remember and my fishing buddy is 77 years old and he spends his life in the bush. He gets rid of his 4wheeler every 3 years because of high mileage, He has never seen anything like this ever. But this was not finished about 2 miles further down the road we saw another one and this one was almost twice the size of the first one. The first one we saw we tought that it might've been a black wolf but as soon as it went sideways we saw that it was definetly not a wolf because of the round face. After seeing the second one I asked my buddy to pull over to get my camera out of the Argo just in case. the only other thing that we saw after that was a lynx that stood at least 3 feet high, it was a gorgeous animal , but it was a bit too quick for the camera. One thing about my camera is that I have to hold the button halfway down until a small light comes on then take the picture, wish I had one that was aim and shoot, cause by the time the light came on it was too late. It would've been a good picture because it had a hare in it's mouth.

Has anybody ever heard of a black cougar?? I have looked on the Net for pictures and the only thing that I can find that is exactly like the animal I saw was a panther , but I have never heard of any in Ontario,

The area was about 110 miles north of Timmins. Around Fraserdale (Abitibi Canyon)

I saw something on the news the other night about a black panther (cougar). Someone reported seeing one, I think they figured it was a pet that someone let loose or something. I'll try to find the story, just caught part of it on the news and didn't get any details.

I have seen a video (online) about two people that video taped a large black cat in there backyard in the winter.

google it and you should find it. i think it was spotted north of peterborough, if i'm not mistaken. my dad was driving on a logging road near biscotasing last week and a brown cougar jumpedd out in front of his vehicle. he thought it may have been a lynx but i don't think so by the size he said it was.

Puma, cougar, panther and mountain lion are all one and the same, migrated from South America. There have been black cougar sightings in the Niagra region as well as Northern Ontario for years. Experts believe its a pet escaped, I think some mountain lions of traditional color give birth to the odd black one but just like Bigfoot nobody will believe they exist until someone shoots one and straps it to a pick up.

I have heard of cougars in the Thunder Bay area.

There's lots of them at Scuttlebutts bar. All kidding aside I did see one some 30 years ago while Grouse hunting. Something I'll never forget.

If it was a long bodied animal,it could actually have been a fisher. In most cases they are black from the shoulder down and have a long body. They are many found in the area where you were,I have a cottage near the Soo and have seen manyof them in the early morning.

Just a hunch :Gonefishing:

Ken

A full grown cougar will stand somewhere around 4' tall, Fishers are much smaller. The fact that its' black is just a genetics, look at wild wolf packs a lot of them are mixed colours and black is very common. These big cats are an awesome creature and should be photographed only. They are usually very shy but unpredictable. No need to shoot and strap it to the hood of yur pickup truck...unless they are eating yur chickens...lol. B)

As Nemo posted:

www.ontariopuma.ca

I don't know if Eastern Cougars can have the odd black offspring or not...wolves do, so why not.

Is it me or is there a lot of people who refuse to believe that Cougars could be on the comeback? Everytime I google the subject, it seems the MNR say they believe they are extinct or have inconclusive evidence...

Escaped pet? Yeah, like every city or town near a reported sighting could have that many escaped (and illegal) pets...