muskies, dead carp & brown weeds

lew

I haven't been fishing much this year, but have been going out the odd time, so my daughter & I decided to head to Pigeon on Saturday for the 1st time this year to see if there were any muskies hanging around my favorite spots.

We launched the boat about 8:00 and headed to the 1st spot and were only casting about 10 minutes when I got this little guy.

Cnv2068.jpg

We fished that spot for awhile then headed further north to another place I like and again got a fish within about 10 minutes.

We get quite a few muskies every year with lymphosarcoma and if you look on the sides of this fish you can see 2 scars that appear to have been lympho, but have healed over quite nicely. That's always a good sign.

Cnv2067.jpg

We fished till around 2:00 and by then the wind was starting to get pretty strong and the waves on the big lake were making casting pretty difficult, so we trolled for awhile but never saw another fish so we called it a day and headed in.

I've been reading all the reports lately on the carp die-off in the Kawarthas but must admit I was really surprised at how many dead carp I saw on Pigeon Lake. I'd guess that in 6 hours I saw at least 100 of them. Odd thing too was the fact that it seemed like it was only very large fish that were dead and I don't think I saw any under about 10 pounds.

I spend an awful lot of time fishing the Kawarthas every year but don't recall ever seeing as much poor quality weed as this year, plus the amount of it compared to other years.

Some of the my normal spots that I fish all the time are nearly choked off with weeds right up to the surface, where normally at this time of year their 4 & 5 feet below the surface. Alot of the weeds are also brown and appear nearly dead, where normally their a very vivid green color until into the later months.

I wonder if there's any corrilation between all the poor quality weeds this year and the dead carp floating everywhere ?? :dunno:

Hmm, you make an interesting point about the weeds and carp die off Lew. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for a reason this is happening.

Nice muskies you and Sherri caught. Great report.

Joey

don't recall ever seeing as much poor quality weed as this year

...funny how things taken out of context can be given a totally different meaning :whistling::whistling::whistling:

nice fish though, good to see that they can heal nicely too after some pretty ugly ulcerations

nice job on those lunge,its been awhile since i got a pigeon monster.cant seem to pull my fishin partner away from those bass lips and try for something with teeth.we too have noticed the crap brown weeds and lack of bright green ones there should be this time of year.thanks for the post i love those apex predators.

don't recall ever seeing as much poor quality weed as this year

...funny how things taken out of context can be given a totally different meaning :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Maybe the Carp are OD'ing on Bad Weed Rizz :lol:

you are sure right about this carp thing lew. tinbanger and i were out on pigeon on wednesday for a while harrassing the local bass population (man were there ever lots of small fish) only got 4, 2-2.5 lbsers out of the 20+ bass we caught. but there were dead carp in almost every spot we fished in some places the smell was unbarable ugh!! i will try to get a report up tomarrow night.

Glad you're still bring them in Lew. I may be opening up a can of worms here but I think that long term, carp will spell the end of the Kawarthas as a fishing destination.

Hate to say it, but that could happen...

Anyhow, beyond the dead carp thing, nice report Lew.

I may be opening up a can of worms here but I think that long term, carp will spell the end of the Kawarthas as a fishing destination.

You could be right Roy, but the way those critters are dropping, there may not be any left in the Kawarthas by the end of this year. From some of the reports around, the die-off is spreading thru the system pretty darned quick.

The stench in a few areas was enuff to chase me away, one small bay had about 6 rotting carcasses floating around in it :stretcher:

Glad you're still bring them in Lew. I may be opening up a can of worms here but I think that long term, carp will spell the end of the Kawarthas as a fishing destination.

People were saying that about Lake Scugog 60 years ago...sure took a long time to happen...I think it is just Ma Nature's way of thinning the herd...

A scientist in fish biology at Trent University thinks it is a carp specific virus...Peterborough Examiner 15 July 2007