Fishing on private property connected to public water

My backyard backs into a large pond with a public park on the opposite side. The posted fishing rules for the public include only fishing the south and half of the east side of the pond. 

If I'm fishing from land on private property on the west side, am I allowed since it's private access? 

I was harassed by a park volunteer stewart yelling at me from across the pond that I was fishing illegally even though I was on my property and took photos of me threatening to call the conservation officers. 

Wondering what the rules are fishing from your own property on public waters? The posted rules only outline where is permitted fishing to public access areas. 

Edited by arc

• arc changed the title to Fishing on private property connected to public water

You can fish wherever you want in water unless you are trespassing on private property I.e. standing on someone’s land or fishing in a sanctuary posted in the regs.

harrasing people legally fishing is actually breaking the law.

Edited by AKRISONER

Thanks Akrisoner, I figured the same, but this park Karen seems to think the rules apply outside the park boundaries. The posted fishing rules I was assuming only apply to public areas.  The more north end of the pond on the east side says no fishing, but I'm on the northern half of the west side. 

Just annoying. and embarrassing, the last thing I'm doing is harming the conservation there considering I clean up all kinds of garbage that floats over from the park side and remove invasive species I catch, etc

Maybe if she spent more time cleaning up trash on the park side than bothering people it would make an actual difference on the wildlife.

Well it’s a pond , does your property end at the pond or does it cover part of the pond. Who’s promised the pond on, if a pond is totally on my property you can’t fish it without my permission. Now if it was part of a navigable  water system, it’s a different story but a pond is owned by the person who owns the land 

Posted (edited)

Our property ends at the watershed (blue star), with other private properties around on each side of me, the park grounds are on the south and east opposite side (in green). Permitted fishing areas of the park (in yellow) : here's a map for reference. It being a watershed I would assume it's crown land with municipal fishing limitations posted only on the east side.  Also it's not navigatable since there's also no watercraft allowed on the pond and there's no access to a lake or other river, creek etc. 

I've contacted Toronto Region Conservation for a definite answer if they reply.  I don't see how park volunteers have a right to scream and harrass me while on my own property. 

High_Park_Permitted_Fishing_Area_with_Legend.jpg.d378bab5a42afee7e63209e86f3c2250.jpg

Edited by arc
  • Like 1

I pretty much did, I just want to make sure I'm not actually breaking any rules / report to the park committee to stop harassing residents.   

Thanks all!

• Like 1

I’ve fished the east side of your pond on a few occasions years ago. I distinctly remember looking across the water towards the other side and thinking how lucky the people who lived in those houses were. I’d fish all summer long I thought. You’ve got a great spot! That volunteer has got to be wrong, that’s got to be  more of a shore access type of thing. Can’t extend to your property.

She’s doing the equivalent of interpreting a “No fishing from bridge” to mean no fishing the water under it. Which is not how it works. Know what I’m trying to say?

Edited by Weeds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, arc said:

Our property ends at the watershed (blue star), with other private properties around on each side of me, the park grounds are on the south and east opposite side (in green). Permitted fishing areas of the park (in yellow) : here's a map for reference. It being a watershed I would assume it's crown land with municipal fishing limitations posted only on the east side.  Also it's not navigatable since there's also no watercraft allowed on the pond and there's no access to a lake or other river, creek etc. 

I've contacted Toronto Region Conservation for a definite answer if they reply.  I don't see how park volunteers have a right to scream and harrass me while on my own property. 

High_Park_Permitted_Fishing_Area_with_Legend.jpg.d378bab5a42afee7e63209e86f3c2250.jpg

I grew up fishing Granadier Pond and know it intimately! From your property there you can do whatever you'd like! There are several people there who believe that Grenadier Pond is their private property, which it is not, I can also guess who that Karen is! That section got closed to fishing based on them complaining about anglers disturbing nesting waterfowl there but it is only on the park grounds! Tell her to please call the conservation officers! How's the Crappie fishing these days?

• Like 3

Not going to lie Weeds, I'm very lucky to be where I am, and yes the fishing is as good as you would think, I've pulled a couple rare pike up and the bass for a city pond, are monnnsters over here. 

And yes I get what you're saying I think she's taking the signs verbatim as in that covers the entirety of the pond as to not fish except the yellow areas.

Here's some highlights from the last year, the last bass was probably PB . 

@David Chong I haven't got too many crappie surprisingly, I mostly like to play the bass.  Carp and catfish when the greens arent in season. 

1pond.jpg.889a6e398fc1a57666876c95d25715ea.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, David Chong said:

I grew up fishing Granadier Pond and know it intimately! From your property there you can do whatever you'd like! There are several people there who believe that Grenadier Pond is their private property, which it is not, I can also guess who that Karen is! That section got closed to fishing based on them complaining about anglers disturbing nesting waterfowl there but it is only on the park grounds! Tell her to please call the conservation officers! How's the Crappie fishing these days?

Yea she's the one you think she is, I told her I would to call the conservation POPO to sort this out.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arc said:

Yea she's the one you think she is, I told her I would to call the conservation POPO to sort this out.  

I'm actually surprised that the pike have not taken over the Pond, as they generally do! They;'ve been in there for over 35 years, over the years I've caught many interesting species in there including a Walleye and Threadfin Shad!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Chong said:

I'm actually surprised that the pike have not taken over the Pond, as they generally do! They;'ve been in there for over 35 years, over the years I've caught many interesting species in there including a Walleye and Threadfin Shad!

There's lots of Pike, just shy on my side and it's thick with vegetation around this time until November so I'm mostly topwater when bass season rolls around. 

Walleye awesome! haven't seen one yet ! 

• Like 1

I also grew up in the High Park neighborhood fishing on Grenadier Pond. Also fished across the street in Catfish Pond, which was behind my school...Swansea Public. Lots of great memories. I won the annual High Park Kid's fishing tournament when I was 12 years old...the one and only fishing trophy (still have it somewhere) I have ever won. A one day derby, which I won with a 12" Bass and two Sunfish...lol

Been a long time since I've fished there...good to see it's still producing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

I also grew up in the High Park neighborhood fishing on Grenadier Pond. Also fished across the street in Catfish Pond, which was behind my school...Swansea Public. Lots of great memories. I won the annual High Park Kid's fishing tournament when I was 12 years old...the one and only fishing trophy (still have it somewhere) I have ever won. A one day derby, which I won with a 12" Bass and two Sunfish...lol

Been a long time since I've fished there...good to see it's still producing.

NIce one! There's some nice bass catfish pond- and remember this ? 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/captured-alligator-like-caiman-in-toronto-pond-1.1902824 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, arc said:

NIce one! There's some nice bass catfish pond- and remember this ? 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/captured-alligator-like-caiman-in-toronto-pond-1.1902824 

Yes, I do remember. We used to catch some monster Goldfish in that pond too. It seems it was a dumping ground for wayward pets !

My best friend, John MacKinnon, lived on Grenadier Heights. It looks like you're in the place that has the long driveway off Ellis. We lived further west on Durie, north of Morningside. Played hockey on the outdoor rink in Rennie Park. Such a great neighborhood to grow up in !

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Yes, I do remember. We used to catch some monster Goldfish in that pond too. It seems it was a dumping ground for wayward pets !

My best friend, John MacKinnon, lived on Grenadier Heights. It looks like you're in the place that has the long driveway off Ellis. We lived further west on Durie, north of Morningside. Played hockey on the outdoor rink in Rennie Park. Such a great neighborhood to grow up in !

We used to fish for those monster goldfish in Catfish Pond as well! We've caught Carp, Mirror Carp, Bullheads, Largemouth, White Perch & Pumpkinseeds out of there! We love riding our bikes down there to fish!

• Like 1

Do you have a copy of your deed?  It may come with some special rights.

I recall seeing a real estate ad for a property on Grenadier pond.  Appearently it had shoreline rights that allowed them to launch a boat.  Maybe that applies to your property too.  Then you can really piss the park people off.

I found the ad

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-home-sale-comes-with-boat-grenadier-pond

Edited by John Bacon
  • Thanks 1

It depends on your land title. I live on a lake and my title stipulates the end of my property line is where the water touches the shore. Other’s can have a fixed property line that may not coincide with the water line.

• Like 1

Beauty spot to live. I grew up not too far away and as a youngster put a canoe in Grenadier once so I could fish your side. Caught a giant carp pretty much out front of your place. I am hoping this Karen was just trying to prevent people from trespassing on your property...hoping.

On 6/3/2024 at 2:47 PM, BillM said:

I believe the City of Toronto sets the rules for Grenadier Pond, not the MNR.  Will be interesting in the reply you get from the MNR.

I've tried contacting parks, and the TRCA, no response yet. Will keep this post updated. 

On 5/31/2024 at 8:14 PM, John Bacon said:

Do you have a copy of your deed?  It may come with some special rights.

I recall seeing a real estate ad for a property on Grenadier pond.  Appearently it had shoreline rights that allowed them to launch a boat.  Maybe that applies to your property too.  Then you can really piss the park people off.

I found the ad

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-home-sale-comes-with-boat-grenadier-pond

Thanks so much for this !  Appreciated !! 

• Haha 1