Topping Retreat

I would have to say that easily the best fishing times I've ever had in my life were the 20 or so week long trips to Kipawa, there's just some magic there that stays with you for months after being there. Camped there the first few years and then stayed at Corbeau lodge several times, now privately owned by Eric Lindros and then once we got an opening stayed at Alwaki lodge for the rest of our visits. That was a 14 mile boat ride.
I still follow the Kipawa forum and this was recently posted. The quite famous 230 acre Topping Retreat that once was sold to the owner of the NY Yankees is again up for sale for the great price of only $8.9M. This place once graced the Canadian $10 bill, was home to a couple of movies and was visited by many famous movie stars like Gregory Peck and Katherine Hepburn. The scenery is magnificent situated at the end of Kipawa River where it empties into Lake Temiscaming. There's close to a hundred pics of the property, well worth going through. Also a few good pics from upstream on Google Earth of some of the rapids. Cheers

https://mrealestate.com/properties/999-Ch.-des-Grandes-Chutes/14751632

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/travel/news/this-8-9m-historic-quebec-home-was-once-a-hollywood-retreat-is-now-up-for-sale/ar-AA1kMRGX

Edited by smitty55
  • Like 1

• smitty55 changed the title to Topping Retreat
4 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Fished right in front of that spot on Temiscaming a few years ago. Beautiful spot and property. It was spring and the rivers was angry! LOL

HH

Yea apparently it's popular with kayakers too but I can't imagine trying to run those rapids from Grand Chute down in high water spring conditions.

• Like 1

I have so many fond memories of fishing Kipawa back to the early 80's until the mid 90's.
I fished out of Camp MacKenzie, sort of lake central just west of Corbeau Island. Some 14 miles in by boat from Laniel.

I have fished Temagami in the last few years and it is indeed a beautiful lake but it somehow does not hold charm that Kipawa does for me.

I was a much younger man then......

20170309_164701.jpg

20170309_164716.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spiel said:

I have so many fond memories of fishing Kipawa back to the early 80's until the mid 90's.
I fished out of Camp MacKenzie, sort of lake central just west of Corbeau Island. Some 14 miles in by boat from Laniel.

I have fished Temagami in the last few years and it is indeed a beautiful lake but it somehow does not hold charm that Kipawa does for me.

20170309_164701.jpg

20170309_164716.jpg

I started going to Kipawa in the early 80's. I did a couple of years at Temagami as well when Quebec outlawed live minnows. As you say even though it's a nice lake there was just something missing compared to Kipawa. Plus the OPP had a big brand new boat and were stopping everyone all the time including lodge boats. We would hide out beers in those plastic rod cases lol. That's when I got into salted minnows for Quebec which worked just fine behind gang trolls for Lakers and on a jig for Walleye. Wondering why you would boat in to Mackenzie from Laniel instead of Kipawa? Was Laniel closer to you?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smitty55 said:

I started going to Kipawa in the early 80's. I did a couple of years at Temagami as well when Quebec outlawed live minnows. As you say even though it's a nice lake there was just something missing compared to Kipawa. Plus the OPP had a big brand new boat and were stopping everyone all the time including lodge boats. We would hide out beers in those plastic rod cases lol. That's when I got into salted minnows for Quebec which worked just fine behind gang trolls for Lakers and on a jig for Walleye. Wondering why you would boat in to Mackenzie from Laniel instead of Kipawa? Was Laniel closer to you?

Well the distance into camp smitty55 is about the same I believe from either end but the reason for going in from Laniel access was that the owner of Camp Mackenzie at the time, Jack Newman operated out of Laniel. I believed he and his wife also ran the Post Office there, the parking lot and the boat ramp connected to the parking lot.

This is a post from one of the forum members who visited the lodge while staying at Taggart Bay Lodge

"Drove into there in September 2005 by myself when we were staying at TBL. What a place! Met Scott and he told me to make myself at home and explore the property at my leisure as he was just finishing packing-up to leave for the winter. I took a look at the original Topping Cabin...very cool...but also gave me the 'willies' for some reason. I walked up the river as far as I could past Hollywood Rapids....outstanding location and so picturesque. Scott showed me the large cabin he built in the 80s (from the book), and then gave me a tour of the new "mansion" cabin right at the mouth where the Hollywood Rapids meets Lac Temiscamigue. The log diameters had to be at least 3-foot wide for that cabin....super impressive in scale and detail.

Scott was very gracious and welcomed me there like I was an old friend, though we'd never met or even communicated prior.

I'll never forget that little personal adventure and am so glad I took the time to do it.

Wish I had $9M..."

This is the book he's referring to. I'm going to order a copy.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3162806-kipawa-river-chronicles

• Like 4

Reelpro Fishing Charters

Daily Half and Full Day Fishing Charters on Lake Kipawa from Kipawa Docks.

Miwapanne Lodge, Kipawa Outpost , Camp Kipawa/

Fishing for Smallmouth Bass, Lake Trout, Walleye, Northern Pike and Perch from a fully equipped Lund Tyee. 

Booking now for May - Oct 2024

On 1/8/2024 at 3:15 PM, Spiel said:

20170309_164701.jpg

20170309_164716.jpg

Wore a LG hat for about 20 years LOL. Starting getting supplies from him in the late '70's , he was still working out of the basement of his house and a 17 foot  Boston Whaler in the drive

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dave524 said:

Wore a LG hat for about 20 years LOL. Starting getting supplies from him in the late '70's , he was still working out of the basement of his house and a 17 foot  Boston Whaler in the drive

Knowing I'm going off topic, apologies given. I first met Lorne in the summer of 1976 (15 years old) and yes, the basement, the Boston Whaler, all good memories and he still lives in the same house. It's been a few years since I stopped by and said "Hello."

6 hours ago, akaShag said:

I used to run into Lorne here and there around the province, often on or near steelhead rivers.  A genuine character, that guy! 

Doug

Oh ya, he was and still is..... lol

So many good laughs in his pick up camper, Meaford usually ..... as I somewhat recall.  😆

3 hours ago, Spiel said:

Just to bring it back to Kipawa, this picture was taken within sight of Fox Lodge while wearing my old Owen Sound Sun Times Georgian Triangle Derby ball cap. 😁

Kipawa Fox Lodge.jpg

and a Cardinal 3 reel by the looks of it.........

I wanted to do a Kipawa trip last year with a bunch of buddies.  They out-voted me, 3 to 1, for a bass trip to Loughborough Lake instead.  I do love Loughborough, but have been fishing it for decades, and so far have yet to fish Kipawa.  One of these years....

Doug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

and a Cardinal 3 reel by the looks of it.........

I wanted to do a Kipawa trip last year with a bunch of buddies.  They out-voted me, 3 to 1, for a bass trip to Loughborough Lake instead.  I do love Loughborough, but have been fishing it for decades, and so far have yet to fish Kipawa.  One of these years....

Doug

Excellent Smallmouth Bass Fishing in Kipawa now.