A "Pretty" fish report! - New Personal Best

Bly

Well, CCMT and I decided to head out tonight despite the cold front that passed through over night. We brought the Carp gear, but also our smaller rods to see if anything else was swimming around before it got dark out.

We arrived at our spot at around 840pm...the winds were a blowin' and it was a little bit chilly out. CCMT started throwing his Jumla's he got at Lakair and I took out my lucky Red Devil stand by lure.

Well, wouldn't you know it...a few minutes of casting and something hits my spoon! I tell CCMT "Fish On" and he goes to get the net. Suddenly, this fish starts jumping out of the water and is putting up a great fight! I wasn't sure exactly what it was until he netted it.

Here's the nice surprise...a 20.5 inch Brown Trout!!!

20halfinchbrown.jpg

I moved to a different spot, and while CCMT was putting a Red Devil on his line, I had another fish on!!! There is usually Pike cruising along this area and I just finished telling CCMT that Pike dont like me....LOL. Again, I landed a nice 18 inch Brown! As I was unhooking it, it's dinner popped out of his mouth. If you look at the picture, you'll see it's the same size and shape as the spoon I was throwing.

18inchbrown.jpg

So, at the end of the night, those were the only 2 fish caught. It flew directly in the face of what we know about trout fishing...you know...ultralight florocarbon leaders, small hooks, etc. These were caught with 15 pound power pro and a big spoon!!

Nice fish. Isn't it strange for browns to be within casting distance of shore this time of year? Maybe I'll have to take a trip down to Lake O with my kayak and fish some tribs.

We thought the same thing...but then again, what do we know?? LOL. Apparently these fish may have been a little confused!

That's a nice bonus!! Beautiful fish!

When we get a good north wind, it blows the warm water out, and brings the cold water in.....that could be why the browns were in closer to shore. I've caught them all summer long where I think your fishing........try a silver and blue cleo sometime, you might be surprised at what you can catch there. I haven't fished down there for years, but I've had some good luck, and been the only one there many times. Maybe I should try it down there again.......:)

Sinker

Ok guys, now I've seen it all! Haha, you guys kill me. Noddin head. I think if it swims, be afraid, be very afraid of the bly and ccmt connection. Nice going. Remember the wind direction for future catches. I recall Speil telling me how important that is for trout and salmon, even in the summer cuz it'll bring em in. You two rock! Keep it up!

Wow, that is very cool, congrat's!

It's not overly suprising though....especially considering they were browns. They'll make many forays inshore to feed even in the height of summer, moreso than other trout or salmon.

If you look at the current water temps. here http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/ontario/o.html you'll see that the inshore waters were quite cool.

If you keep close tabs on the temps. you can almost predict when you'll have action. Anything below 40 degrees is absolutely prime.

Sometimes in the summer if the winds are condusive a temp. inversion will occur and you'll have a legitimate crack at some big chrome kings off the piers in July.

cheers, Mike

Darn .. the secret is out !!! Nice catch !

Nice catch ... seriously though ... yep the browns are out off the eastern tribs right now ... and getting ready for their run ... I have caught them in the tribs in late July (most ppl dont realize how early they actually run).

I have spent MANY a mid August afternoon completely on my own nn the tribs with NICE runs of L.O. browns.