Rubber Boots - NF

grimsbylander

I've always just used these for the most part. 

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kamik-hunter-mens-and-boys-insulated-rubber-boot-green-0873282p.html#srp

I wear them here in Yellowknife in the winter when working outside the house here in town and use them in the spring and fall when fishing/launching the boat etc.

Inexpensive and they last quite a long time.

When ice fishing/snowmobiling etc I wear my white US military bunny boots. 

8 minutes ago, misfish said:

Going on my 7th year with these. Yes a bit heavy if your a walker ( I dont mind though ), but warm as hell. Many ice anglers use these.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/23550000.htm

I’m pretty sure I have the same ones

love em

super warm and comfy like slippers

not very supportive for walking though

if I gotta hike I use gore Tex Rocky boots

I have CDN and US Military Bunny Boots, going on 15 years with these things. The Canadian and US military are issued  these white things in the Arctic. Not great for long walks but just fantastic to keep warm and dry and that's what you want. If you see them come up on Kijiji or EBay buy them. I paid 50 bucks for mine at the Army Surplus in Hamilton. When you watch all these reality TV shows in Alaska and the Yukon you will see most everyone wears them.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

54 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I have CDN and US Military Bunny Boots, going on 15 years with these things. The Canadian and US military are issued  these white things in the Arctic. Not great for long walks but just fantastic to keep warm and dry and that's what you want. If you see them come up on Kijiji or EBay buy them. I paid 50 bucks for mine at the Army Surplus in Hamilton. When you watch all these reality TV shows in Alaska and the Yukon you will see most everyone wears them.

These are my ice fishin' booties. :)

Got a set of the black Mickeys too.

P2280238.JPG

10 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

P2280238.JPG

Them there are the ones big fella. I'm surprised I don't see more in Ontario. I've seen a few Yanks with them on the Bay of Quinte. They may be hard to find down here. Like I said some find they aren't great for long hikes. I have never had a problem with comfort myself. See guys, The Yukon! I may just have to find a source and flog them here, at OFC member prices of course. I said I paid 50 bucks, a typo, it was 100 bananas!!

Edited by Old Ironmaker

43 minutes ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

P2280238.JPG

What happens if you get half way across the lake and get a flat?? lol

Yeah those are great boots. I knew a place in the US that sold the black Mickey boots 30 years ago and being a young feller, I couldn't afford them. I should keep my eyes open now for a pair.

In the mean time, I'll decide between the Titans and the less expense Kamiks.

EDIT: I just checked out the bunny boots on ebay...they're cheap compared to years ago! $50 - $100 bucks canadian...wow. I remember them selling for a couple hundred bucks 30 years ago!

Edited by grimsbylander

15 hours ago, porkpie said:

I buy the deluxe kamiks that go on sale at Canadian tire for $40-45.  They last 3-4 seasons and work well for everything, including ice fishing.  Can't beat it!

I don't know about the 'deluxe kamiks' but the normal ones are really crappy. Not waterproof about the rubber shoe part. Also, wears out quickly in the nylon material part above the rubber.

My bros swear by Prairies. Can't buy them in my area, though. They are apparently a lot lighter than Titans.  Might be 'worth the drive to Acton" .:lol:

http://weaverdevore.ca/products-page/winter-footwear/mens-winter-footwear/acton-prairie-insulated-rubber-boot/

Edited by Knuguy

5 minutes ago, Knuguy said:

I don't know about the 'deluxe kamiks' but the normal ones are really crappy. Not waterproof about the rubber shoe part. Also, wears out quickly in the nylon material part above the rubber.

I've been wearing kamiks in different variations for hunting and fishing 3 seasons of the year for the last 15 years or so.  Every 3 or 4 years they fall right off my feet, but until that happens they are pretty warm and waterproof.  Sorry you have had poor luck, but I wear mine all the time and they do the job just fine.  I steelhead quite a bit, and for a lot of rivers in southern Ontario especially the smaller ones, you don't need waders and I detest wearing waders to start with so I wear the kamiks an aweful lot.  I've had very good service from them.

51 minutes ago, Knuguy said:

I think we must be talking about 2 different kinds of boots here. Mine were definitely not waterproof above that rubber shoe part. 

These are the ones I'm talking about.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kamik-hunter-mens-and-boys-insulated-rubber-boot-green-0873282p.html#srp

2 hours ago, Knuguy said:

I think we must be talking about 2 different kinds of boots here. Mine were definitely not waterproof above that rubber shoe part. 

on sale a few times a year for $45.  

https://m.canadiantire.ca/products/productDetail/0873128P?storeClearance=false&isNonOnline=false&isAutomotive=false&isBarcodeValue=false

Edited by porkpie

1 hour ago, misfish said:

So 2.5 newfs cant be wrong

Never been known to happen before!!! 

This is the only kind of Kamiks that I was familiar with. Had such a bad experience with those that I scratched the brand off my list.   I'm glad you olks have had a + experience with the other type