Deer Report

Pete Maina

Hey OFners,

I'm still trying to catch up from the chaos of business-stuff ... after screwing-off chasing deer for a week. (Oh, and we had that U.S. holiday too, where we chase turkeys, and the one's we catch - we eat and say "thanks".)

Anyway, I said I'd offer a deer hunting report. I have nothing to offer on my end. I didn't shoot a thing. I saw does, fawns, smaller bucks ... but never pulled the trigger. Our family hunts a "lot" ... I have two brothers and a hunting-crazy dad ... we don't really "need" to kill every deer we see during the WI season.

Anyway, I (we) had a blast as always: enjoyed the woods and the solitude ... was in some great places ... at one point, in a very thick swamp, I ran across this rabbit - covered in Vasoline - ears tied-back - skinny thing ... kinda talking-fast ... was fed up with the thick terrain, and asked if I could just put 'em out of his misery ... said he couldn't deal with it ... I couldn't get my gun up in the heavy cover ... he pointed toward the sun and ...

Kinda made that up ... 'cept for the part about being in real thick swamps.

A great time was had by all. Kinda neat, cuz the last day, a younger guy (18) got his first buck: a nice 10 pointer with a 21 inch spread ... neat to see the smiles.

Hope things are well for all. In a week or so, I get to go with dad to Iowa and try again.

Happy December :santa: hear the cold is coming in as I write.

Pete

Edited by Pete Maina

Well i do not know much about hunting deer at all...Infact i know sweet....F.A when it comes to deer hunting to be totally honest... Would like to give it a shot one time..No pun intended..... :D

But glad to hear u boy's had a good time and congrats to the 18 yr old on the buck. :D

Thanks for the report Pete. I know what your talking about with the thick swamps. We have the saying at our camp that the brush was so thick you couldn't horse whip a rabbit thru it. Oh the life of a dog man and the things we have to travel thru to get tht deer moving.

I've always said the huntings more about the good times then the meat.

Good Luck next year.

Mike

Hi,

Well thanks for the kind words. No doubt about the "Real Deal" behind the hunting. It is about getting out in the bush, hearing no cars; seeing no people ... don't get me wrong, if ol' Rustyhorns woulda stumbled by, instead of the rabbit ... I'da figured something out on getting that gun up.

I enjoy it.

Yeah, was neat to see the young guy get that buck.

That's funny on the TV show. So yeah, glad you liked it ... but be honest, really: do I fit the Mary Poppins look?

(Actually, on a serious note - from someone who's had sunstroke and is now very susceptible. Be careful with that stuff. It can be pretty serious; very serious if it's ignored and you just stay out. It hits like a hammer, and if symptoms of nausea and headache start - get out of the sun and stay out.)

Pete

A great time was had by all. Kinda neat, cuz the last day, a younger guy (18) got his first buck: a nice 10 pointer with a 21 inch spread ... neat to see the smiles.

As far as Im concerned.. thats way better than bagging one yourself!!!

sounds like a good trip and yes I also met that Rabbit once but he was wearing a groundhog suit. I was in my treestand tied to the tree and he came out of his hole and asked me if I had any zircon incrusted tweezers.....and I says no so he shook his chubby little paw at me and started back to his hole mad........ so I shot him. I mean no stupid little rabbit dressed like a groundhog is going to give me attitude when i am sleeping.........

Art

sounds like a good time

I find that shooting an animal sometimes gets in the way of a great week it the bush.....you have to stop hunting..gut hang and look after the meat...the fun is in the hunting for me not the shooting

Ok, Im having a hard time understanding this one bud :unsure::unsure::glare:<_<

I go hunting to gut,drag, hang and at the end of all that eat what I went to hunt for.With the odd pop. :rolleyes::thumbsup_anim:

Pete ,great report.Man wish I had relatives that had all kinds of meat to offer. :worthy::worthy:

Hi,

Yeah TJ ... just seeing the awe on his face as he was showing off during the gutting ... his dad got to him first: said his arms were swinging and pointing - talking a mile-a-minute. Good stuff man!

Interesting rabbit you had there Art. Likely a good thing got him out of the gene pool. B)

misfish, ha ha ... oh I understand, and I am lucky that way: two brothers and dad who are rabid hunters ... and a son that I expect will be right there too - coming of age for it.

With our crew, there's never a lot of "urgency" to the "harvest" part of hunting (but certainly an important part). I am lucky there. I don't buy meat; on the road I'll eat the beef or chicken and like that too. At home though, lots of venison (whitetail, muleys, elk), ducks, goose, partridge, pheasants, the occassional Sandhill Crane or Swan from North Dakota ... sure wish one of my brothers would go back up north and get a Carabou again (my favorite).

(Oh, and besides racoon, beaver, and a few other odd things, I've actually eaten crow ... it's not bad marinated and to the grill.)

Pete

Pete. You are starting to sound like a Cajun or an Alaabama redneck with that list of things you have eaten. Add a few Nutria, Crawfish, turtle and alligator and we could have dinner together. As for the Rabbit I am glad I woke up before I had to skin him It seems the zipper was stuck and....... I wont bore you with the rest of the story.

Art