Oct Smallies in the Kawartha's?

KawarthaAngler

Find a sandy shoal, flat area....Green Pumpkin Tubes or Craws

Good tip, thanks. I picked up some Green Pumpkin craws @ Gagnon in Oshawa yesterday. That is what the owner directed me to when I inquired. Also picked up some 3/8 oz bullet tungsten and was going to hook them texas style and bounce them across the bottom. That was his tip and what I've seen suggested via jigging youtube vid's. Historically I've been more of a crankbait/spinner guy but want to do more jigging.

Next hard part if finding the right locations!

I can't picture going smallie fishing without tubes, green pumpkin to imitate craws and white to imitate bait fish. Drop shot? What depth do you fish? I wouldn't get locked on to one depth range, rocky areas work here, especially if they have depth changes on them.

A lot of different lures will catch them, the key is finding them, they also tend to stick to the same seasonal spots.

I primarily fish tri-lakes (Buckhorn, Chemong & Pigeon) with preference to Buckhorn and Chemong. Also sometimes Lower Buckhorn.

This year was the first time I started trying a tube (it was fun to skip under docks and have the hook buried to reduce getting stuck) and the first time I put more effort into jigging a skirted jig with weed guard (which didn't catch much for me other than 1 walleye). But I know I have to learn better spots, better presentation, etc. to get a tube/jig working well for me.

In the past my primary bass fishing areas have been for Largies. Shallower weeds, thick mats and lily pads (punching with 1oz bullet).

Thanks!

Watch the water temp...once it drops down to the 60 mark, I up size my baits. Horizontal baits such as spinnerbaits and jerkbaits work great on points to locate fish. Try big double blade willowleaf spinnerbaits. For plastics, big is the key here too. I switch to plastics that have a larger, bulky profile and natural colours. Move away from decaying weedy areas and fish clean bottoms. Rocky or sandy areas that have deep water close by are great starting points.

I was out last weekend and surface temp according to my finder said approx 63F. With it being warm this week I can't see it dropping below 60F come this weekend.

I have several spinnerbaits .... can give them a try.

I know about getting away from decaying weeds ... have tried fishing them in the past and get nothing. With the decay and carbon dioxide they give off, its understandable. Hunting around for healthy weeds in the fall can sometimes be quite time consuming and not overly successful.

Buckhorn and Chemong don't seem to have much rocky/sandy areas (at least from my experience thus far). But I have only explored a small amount of Chemong this past year.

Thanks!

I haven't fished the kawarthas, but I have done well for bass with pink and black senko. Have caught pretty much all my bass on that with the exception of 1 on minnow and the other on a gulp worm .

EDIT: these were all caught in the summer. Never know it may still work in the fall

Edited by huzzsaba

Past weekend the best smallies wereright up on shore gorging on crays though I caught them from shoreline rubble on 8 ft weededges sand flats and in 24ft of water on bottom and on top water was 63f and with smallies had senko dropshot Sammy jig crankbait jetkbaits spybaits spinner baits ect. Don't limit yourself and keep moving

I love to fish a jerkbait for smallies specially as the water cools

I jerk it on slack line multiple times before retrieving any line with the reel. make super long casts and take your time

Dan

This past summer I've used perch jerk baits and had luck with a few bass and a small muskie. As the water cools, what type/colour jerkbait do you find works? I've had no luck with white jerkbaits this year.