flotation Suit

DanD

I'm looking at a flotation two piece suit for this up coming ice fishing season.

All my other gear left when my truck was stolen, last Feb. Hope all the seams rip open and the prick wearing it will freeze his balls of the brass monkey!

"Some references say that the brass triangles that supported stacks of iron cannon-balls on sailing ships were called monkeys and that in cold weather the metal contracted, causing the balls to fall off."

I have looked at the Mustang Classic coat and the bib pants.

Contacted Angling Sports here in London and they suggest the Salus

SC-1200 coat and the SP-1200 bib pants. Visually/cosmetically they both look close (not an issue)

Mustang has a long standing track record for producing quality. I see that Crappy Tire use to sell Salus along with a few other distributors that no longer do?

I want to be warm, safe (?) and not bound up in a suit.

Any and all suggestion welcome.

Dan.

Dan, I've had both Mustang and Salus jackets. My current jacket is a Salus. If I were to buy again, I would likely go with the Mustang as I have found it to be more comfortable to me and I hate the pockets, or lack there of in the Salus.

Perhaps they have changed that in recent models, but the Mustang has pockets that are easy to get to and many more than the Salus. Makes it easier not having to dig in my tackle bag, in the cold.

As I have never fallen in, I can't speak to their flotation qualities.

HH

I have a striker Guardian, mainly because I couldn't find the arctic armour in 2xl or at the time I probably would've gone with that. I spend a fair bit of time on the ice, or in the boat in the shoulder seasons so it made sense to spend on a decent and comfortable suit. I spent the previous 20 years in a one piece float suit, and the difference is night and day. I wouldn't go back to a float suit unless I was planning a trip in the north atlantic lol. I've been really happy with the suit, mind you I only have one season on it. It's very adjustable and super comfortable when sitting, moving or kneeling. They have heavier suits than the guardian, but I found mine very warm when layered and wouldn't go heavier personally. They sell them at fishing world. None of the new generation suits like arctic armour of striker are cheap though, so it depends how much you want to spend.

Edited by porkpie

not gonna lie...1 pieces are warmer...ive always found that wearing a bib, ya your lower half is solid, but you dont get to share that surpreme warmth with the rest of your body, and specifically your arms. if you are like me and you have problems with circulation in your hands, you need your arms and specifically your wrists to be cooking to even have a chance out there.

Yeah thanks guys, even more choices. LOL

The Arctic Armor set does look good and one of the crappy tires here in town has a set; that I can try on.

I agree that a one piece is likely warmer; but i spend half my time in the fish hut. A one piece is to much of a pain, having it half off as to not sweat to death.

Thanks guys.

Dan.

not gonna lie...1 pieces are warmer...ive always found that wearing a bib, ya your lower half is solid, but you dont get to share that surpreme warmth with the rest of your body, and specifically your arms. if you are like me and you have problems with circulation in your hands, you need your arms and specifically your wrists to be cooking to even have a chance out there.

Like I have said, owned many one piece, even a top of the line Nautilus, and can say honestly, I have had my cold days in them. You sweat like a pig if you are walking a click or more dragging, even with the zips open. If your sledding, not an issue. The Arctic is even way to warm to keep totally button up while walking, but I do keep it all zipped up, so I have the full potential of the floatation of the suit. A good sweat never hurts though. Once in the hut, coat comes off, heater on, slow cool down. I was always a believer of the one piece, no longer.

The Clam Ice Armour I have, is just as super warm, but is not a float suit. Funny how a suit that is related to ice fishing, is not a floater. :dunno:

I gave up on floater suits. There is so much gear that is way better than a floater. If your not stupid, you don't need a floater on the ice anyways. I much more prefer bibs and a coat. So much easier to regulate your temp, and waaaaaaaay more comfortable. I never found a floater suit to be warm. They are OK, but there is waaaaaay warmer gear than a foam filled straight jacket IMO....

I like the arctic armour suits. I'd like a camo one, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. A floating set of bibs/parka would be ideal for waterfowling from the boat, but most floating set ups aren't camo.....

I will never buy another one piece. I just don't like them. Uncomfortable, sweaty, and you are stuck in there with no way to regulate your temp.

I have an XXl Helly Hanson I'd sell if anyone wants one. In great shape, I never wear it. Red/Black.

S.

I like the arctic armour suits. I'd like a camo one, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. A floating set of bibs/parka would be ideal for waterfowling from the boat, but most floating set ups aren't camo.....

S.

I was told by a CO that a Coast Guard approved PFD cannot be camo and that's why there aren't as many. This wouldn't be true for Arctic Armour suits since they're not Coast Guard approved though. If you used a camo Arctic Armour in the boat, you would need a supplementary PFD to be legal. On top of that, the PFD MUST be pre-adjusted to fit over your suit. If you can't put it on when challenged by a CO, that's an offense. Edited by Dutch01

I don't hunt but a good pal does in the most God awful weather. He camo'd his inflatable PFD himself. Looks great. The only ice fishing I do now is looking in the freezer. I do miss it but my hands and feet don't.

I did have to work in sub zero weather and bibs and coat beat a one piece. A one piece was far too confining especially when Mother Nature called.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I was told by a CO that a Coast Guard approved PFD cannot be camo and that's why there aren't as many. This wouldn't be true for Arctic Armour suits since they're not Coast Guard approved though. If you used a camo Arctic Armour in the boat, you would need a supplementary PFD to be legal. On top of that, the PFD MUST be pre-adjusted to fit over your suit. If you can't put it on when challenged by a CO, that's an offense.

If your seeing "Canadian Coast guard Approved" it's one of 2 things. Extremely old or a counterfeit.

The Canadian Coast Guard has not been the approving authority for many years.

Transport Canada is the approving authority.

Edited by Woodsman

If your seeing "Canadian Coast guard Approved" it's one of 2 things. Extremely old or a counterfeit.

The Canadian Coast Guard has not been the approving authority for many years.

Transport Canada is the approving authority.

Whichever approval body is currently in favor, just forwarding what the CO said ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have a Mustang one piece but based on this thread I think my next one will be a two piece.

Edited by Dutch01

My suit is NOT APPROVED, so when on a boat, there must be a legal approved PFD. Never read it had to fit over my suit, in a HURRY. Just needs to be on board.

The CO told me if you can't put it on, then it's not the right size for you, which means you don't have a PFD on board. My Mustang isn't camo so I don't care. We were just chatting and he mentioned it.

Edited by Dutch01

I gave up on floater suits. There is so much gear that is way better than a floater. If your not stupid, you don't need a floater on the ice anyways. I much more prefer bibs and a coat. So much easier to regulate your temp, and waaaaaaaay more comfortable. I never found a floater suit to be warm. They are OK, but there is waaaaaay warmer gear than a foam filled straight jacket IMO....

I will never buy another one piece. I just don't like them. Uncomfortable, sweaty, and you are stuck in there with no way to regulate your temp.

I have an XXl Helly Hanson I'd sell if anyone wants one. In great shape, I never wear it. Red/Black.

S.

Bear in mind though that keeping you warm is secondary to keeping you afloat and able to pull yourself out of a hole. If you have a reg parka and it gets soaked you would be hard pressed to get yourself out with all that extra weight the water creates.t

Man thanks for all the replies to this thread. Its given me enough that I have found the set up I want.

Arctic Armour.

I just needed to get the cost past my wife and she's OK with it. It's only $600. for the two piece suit; that's only like three payments towards my life insurance. Then there`s no guarantee I still won't go down and not come back up; she`s got all the bases covered.

All I have ever asked my wife is to wear a dark vial at my funeral. I don`t want anyone to see the smile on her face. thinking about the insurance payout. LOL

Dan.

Man thanks for all the replies to this thread. Its given me enough that I have found the set up I want.

Arctic Armour.

I just needed to get the cost past my wife and she's OK with it. It's only $600. for the two piece suit; that's only like three payments towards my life insurance. Then there`s no guarantee I still won't go down and not come back up; she`s got all the bases covered.

All I have ever asked my wife is to wear a dark vial at my funeral. I don`t want anyone to see the smile on her face. thinking about the insurance payout. LOL

Dan.

Good choice and LMAO.

I used the link I posted to get a deal at my local CTC. Printed it off and showed the manager. Never asked if it was US $, Which it was. Shame on me, silly them.

I was told by a CO that a Coast Guard approved PFD cannot be camo and that's why there aren't as many. This wouldn't be true for Arctic Armour suits since they're not Coast Guard approved though. If you used a camo Arctic Armour in the boat, you would need a supplementary PFD to be legal. On top of that, the PFD MUST be pre-adjusted to fit over your suit. If you can't put it on when challenged by a CO, that's an offense.

Yup. My old camo mustang suit was that way. My legal PFD's never leave the boat anyways.

Edited by Sinker

Bear in mind though that keeping you warm is secondary to keeping you afloat and able to pull yourself out of a hole. If you have a reg parka and it gets soaked you would be hard pressed to get yourself out with all that extra weight the water creates.t

Maybe for you, but for me warmth and comfort is first priority. I spend a lot more time on top of the ice, than down a hole, and I don't plan on going down a hole any time soon. 100% of accidents on the ice are PREVENTABLE.

S.

Edited by Sinker