Well Done MNR

jimmer

I first hand witness rednecks poach like crazy too...just because they have a fishing license doesnt make it ok when they take their limit home, eat it and then head out fishing all over again with 8 guys in the boat taking 32 eyes a day off georgian bay.

you all know the type, rednecks on a house boat drunk as skunks there for the morning and evening bite all week long, never a fish going back into the lake.

HEY, that remark resembles me............. :P

I first hand witness rednecks poach like crazy too...just because they have a fishing license doesnt make it ok when they take their limit home, eat it and then head out fishing all over again with 8 guys in the boat taking 32 eyes a day off georgian bay.

you all know the type, rednecks on a house boat drunk as skunks there for the morning and evening bite all week long, never a fish going back into the lake.

I regularly witness people catching Walleye at night in the Kawarthas, yelling over loud about how it's legal, then run to their car or truck and drive off. Five minutes later they're back fishing again. It's not "foreigners from Toronto" doing this (not saying that doesn't happen too).

I regularly witness people catching Walleye at night in the Kawarthas, yelling over loud about how it's legal, then run to their car or truck and drive off. Five minutes later they're back fishing again. It's not "foreigners from Toronto" doing this (not saying that doesn't happen too).

I see it here too. Camp is 1000 yards from a great fishing hole. They just make runs back and forth over and over again

Most of the poaching I have seen in my lifetimes, is-was, not done by the white bucket crowd, but 'locals' who think because they have lived there for generations the law does not apply to them. No season , no limit, no slot.

Edited by fishermccann

Doesn't really matter who it is... the issue is our government... we live in a country where the bleeding hearts rule and criminals have far more right than they deserve... You can even fight against our country and get a nice retirement package if you fight hard enough.

Things will never change in our country... we are WAY to soft on people that break the law!

If they're in season, then that is not illegal.

Being legal and being a good steward of our resources are not one in the same.

I do agree all ethnicities of our society that may be poaching. I just pointed out the majority seem to share the same cultures, that's just a fact. However he majority of those charged and convicted of hunting and fishing violations in eastern Ont. seem to be of French decent. But the majority of the population is of French decent. So it might be demographics and just that. Close to GTA one group, close to another area, another group. I'll admit when I am off base, never wrong though (tongue in cheek).

Doesn't really matter who it is... the issue is our government... we live in a country where the bleeding hearts rule and criminals have far more right than they deserve... You can even fight against our country and get a nice retirement package if you fight hard enough.

Things will never change in our country... we are WAY to soft on people that break the law!

This is going to get political real fast. I shall remain silent but want to comment. I am a good soldier and follow orders like a good Canuck.

You can even fight against our country and get a nice retirement package if you fight hard enough.

This is a gross misrepresentation of what occurred. The Supreme Court issued two decisions condemning the Government of Canada for breaching the Charter Rights of a Canadian citizen. Said citizen then filed a lawsuit using the SOC decisions to buttress his argument. GOC lawyers decided they would likely lose the case so they settled out of court to reduce their exposure.

Edited by Dutch01

This is a gross misrepresentation of what occurred. The Supreme Court issued two decisions condemning the Government of Canada for breaching the Charter Rights of a Canadian citizen. Said citizen then filed a lawsuit using the SOC decisions to buttress his argument. GOC lawyers decided they would likely lose the case so they settled out of court to reduce their exposure.

Agreed they settled so could say they didn't loose or have to pay more. I'm still perplexed how a person who was proven to have joined an opposing force which puts the very people fighting to protect that citizen gets to keep their citizenship to begin with. Anyways to stay on point the fact is, we have a very soft legal system..

You can kill a family driving drunk and not even spend 10 yrs in the slammer, when you should see the needle!

Apologies if I hijacked the thread!!!!..this nonsense has just been really irking me lately!!! Probably because I'm in a battle with our town over them trying to take our land for free, so I'm generally just not pleased with our government all round!!!

• 2 months later...

I respectfully disagree that those most or secondmost charged with fishing (or hunting) violations are from a couple of cultures. There are quite a few Canadian sounding names in the reports in the link below.

http://mnrwatch.com/category/offenses/

Jon

Last names only on those charged from the website above: Slough, McCormick, Mr. and Mrs Terry, Galliott, Gauthier, four US fishermen from the north central US, O’Kelly, Welsh, The Funks, Marr, Zhang, Mihailovic, Martin, Lui, Yu, Wen He, Wu, and Luu.

While I have seen "white bucket" fishing there is nothing that makes this illegal. Generally they fish in groups which would allow for larger catch limits. It is their right to keep as many fish as their license allows. The only poaching I have ever directly witnessed was by a older Polish immigrant and twice I have seen American tourists at fishing camps filling coolers with excess fillets destined for the freezer.

Isn't it racist to unfairly single out certain ethnic groups only when it comes to poaching?

There's just not enough media for the general puplic to care or even know about what the MNR are trying to enforce.

If it were law that every offender's name and offence were to be puplished on mainline media it would make more people realize how important it is to keep this resource safe.

It would make people think twice if they knew their name and offence would be broadcast on the national news for all to see and hear.

Humiliation hurts a lot more then a few bucks out of your pocket.

Dan.

Humiliation hurts a lot more then a few bucks out of your pocket.

Dan.

I never thought of that, but yeah, great idea, totally makes sense in this age of social media, why not. I hope an MNR guy or CO is reading this thread. It wouldn't cost much time or money to have the offenders names and offences posted online.

There is an MNR busted guys page for Ontario but they only post the big busts.

I never thought of that, but yeah, great idea, totally makes sense in this age of social media, why not. I hope an MNR guy or CO is reading this thread. It wouldn't cost much time or money to have the offenders names and offences posted online.

There is an MNR busted guys page for Ontario but they only post the big busts.

So you want it all reported?... anyone catching bass out of season or anyone who forgot to have their license with them? I think they have it right now....I wouldn't mind increased fines and if the fishing community thinks that poaching is a real problem to have more MNR officers hired.

So you want it all reported?... anyone catching bass out of season or anyone who forgot to have their license with them? I think they have it right now....I wouldn't mind increased fines and if the fishing community thinks that poaching is a real problem to have more MNR officers hired.

Sure, why not?

Adding more COs comes with adding more trucks, ATVs, boats, snowmobiles etc, it's a big expense. Posting offences online is a deterrent and it's cheap and easy to do.

Targeting fish out of season isn't the same as forgetting your license at home. One is on purpose, the other is an accident.

Couldn't both be accidental or on purpose?

1) You are not sure where your license is but think it must be in your home...so you fish anyways thinking you could produce it if you had too.

2) You fish bass out of season catch one, move much deeper into weeds and catch another.