Need new BBQ advice! - NF

Headhunter

Our Weber is over 20 years old and the igniter still works! Been a great bbq

I had a Weber Spirit when I got married in 99, couldn't convince my wife this wasn't paint peeling inside, finally got rid of it , could standing the nagging any longer, wimmens :wallbash:

Takes a bit more babysitting than a BGE or pellet smoker, but I picked up a wireless thermometer so I can keep an eye on temperatures while doing things around the house. Little adjustment every hour or so and you're good to go.

Hey Tom S,

Have you tried using the snake (or minion) method for long smokes ? I can get 6-7 hours of steady 225˚ f (+ or- a few degrees) temps using that method. Best to just google it vs me trying to describe it. A wireless thermo is indispensable for smoking and I'm using the Maverick for the Weber and Masterbuilt smokers.

If I was buying a big one, I would probably be tempted to get the large on at Costco (if there are any left). Its almost 100% stainless steel, including the grills and its a good price. The small one they had is not all stainless. Its all stainless so I expect you would get 10 years out of it or more, even if it is Chinese steel.

Personally, after owning many over the years, I finally splurged and got a Weber Summit a few years ago. At the same time, two neighbours bout the same size Napolean's. Mine is still like new and theirs have had the normal issues with rusty burners and grills (they got the cast iron grills). at that $2K price, I don't think you can go wrong with Weber.

Now if you really want to spend some money, go to BBQs Galore in Oakville or Burlington and check out the Lynx or DCS.

I checked out the Lynx at BBQ world. Obviously very nice units, however they are beyond my means. I suppose I could sell a child, but my wife seems pretty attached to them. I wonder what a kidney goes for on the black market?

The Napoleon I am looking at is all stainless...

HH

Hey Tom S,

Have you tried using the snake (or minion) method for long smokes ? I can get 6-7 hours of steady 225˚ f (+ or- a few degrees) temps using that method. Best to just google it vs me trying to describe it. A wireless thermo is indispensable for smoking and I'm using the Maverick for the Weber and Masterbuilt smokers.

Tried them, was not overly impressed. Like the smokenator much better, they system they have makes it really easy to add charcoal as needed. Plus if you really want to it frees up the bottom rack for even more capacity.

I checked out the Lynx at BBQ world. Obviously very nice units, however they are beyond my means. I suppose I could sell a child, but my wife seems pretty attached to them. I wonder what a kidney goes for on the black market?

The Napoleon I am looking at is all stainless...

HH

Don't be fooled by 'stainless' marketing. Make sure it's a heavy enough gauge to stand up to heat over time, and that it's not a cheap grade that will still rust out on you (just over a longer period of time than painted steel).

We've got a 10 year old Broil king that I have had to change the starter on a time or two. Everything else still works and I'd buy another. My Father has a 16 year old Weber that is still kicking but could use some TLC. If I was going with Gas, these are the two companies I would look at.

The neighbour has a BGE and man that thing is sweet. The food is always good when coming off of that and if I was going with charcoal, this is what I would look at.

Well, I broke down and bought the Napoleon Prestige yesterday, will have it on Friday.

thanks to everyone who chimed in, i appreciate everyone's input.

Bill, if there is anything, other than my side burner you would like to salvage parts from my VC, let me know.

HH

Well, I broke down and bought the Napoleon Prestige yesterday, will have it on Friday.

Bill, if there is anything, other than my side burner you would like to salvage parts from my VC, let me know.

HH

Which model HH? Just wondering if you find merit in things like the infrared rear burner?

Which model HH? Just wondering if you find merit in things like the infrared rear burner?

I had no interest in the rear burner and tried to make a change, but Napoleon had package deals and the rear burner came with the unit.

Did you come up to the factory Joe?

I guess you wont be interested in this then JOE

http://www.kamadojoe.com/grills/

A grand for the jr, and just over 2 for the BIG JOE. Cabelas here has them. Didnt turn me on to much for that kinda $$$$

KJO_Big-Joe_Hero_Web.jpg

I looked at the Joe Brian, but there were a few things that I didn't like, for instance the one year warranty on the main seal and the fact that it is made in China. The other challenge was need desire to have a side burner. Combine the cost of the Joe and a side burner and a unit for it to sit on and we were getting well outta my budget.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Sorry I never saw this before today. Been down many paths for propane BBQ's. At home I have a 15+ year old broil mate that has had 1 new set of grills and is on it's second set of burners. Great inexpensive BBQ that just keeps going 12 months of the year.Happy with it so I bought a broil mate for the cottage around 2012. COMPLETE JUNK. Still get frustrated almost every time I use it. Have used many propane BBQ's at family members. My brother really liked his Napoleon but it never lasted....so I'm a little hesitant to give them a go.

Started doing my research last year and have decided that my next propane BBQ will be a Broil King. Just have to decide which model to go with.

We just picked up a 4 burner Weber for the cottage. Very very nice BBQ. I have a 14 year old Broil King at home that is done. The base has rotted out completely. My brother has a 14 year old Weber that looks pretty much new. I have replaced the burner twice and the igniter gave up the ghost after a year or so. The Weber has everything working and nothing has been replaced. Napoleon's are nice but the burners go often on them. My dad has one that he bought 4-5 years ago. It needs a 3rd set of burners now. Go with Weber. Pay up front and you will not regret

HH

Will do! I've got a VC here that needs a little bit of TLC (Got it from a buddy last year)