Trolling Motor Batteries Question

fisherman7

Hi all, I have a 24v trolling motor battery set up. Once I put my trolling motor on, the battery meter on the TM shows only 2 out of 4 bars. So I'm wondering if one of my batteries are pooched.

The charger seems to be working fine.

So how do I know which one is pooched. I bought the boat used and it's 4 years old. They are Interstate batteries and are fully topped up.

Thanks in advance for answers.

A lot of chargers will charge and show the battery is fully charged. This just means that it has 12.6 volts or greater. Once it is under a load, you will see it drop off drastically. As already stated, a load test is required and CTC can do that for you. A battery can still take a charge but be useless.

I've wrote this plenty times on here. EVERY BOAT OWNER SHOULD HAVE A LOAD TESTER.

$50 at CTC.

When your battery needs charging, hook up your load tester.

If it's any less than 12.3 your battery is toast. 11 anything junk.

Plug in your charger not instantly but over the next minute your load tester should go up to 13+.

If it doesn't change your charger is junk.

Check both battery's this way.

Brand new battery's are most likely to fail.

Let battery's fully charge then flip the switch and load test.

It will say fail.

Check your water level. In my experience if your battery starts losing water they are on the way out the door.

Hi all, I have a 24v trolling motor battery set up. Once I put my trolling motor on, the battery meter on the TM shows only 2 out of 4 bars. So I'm wondering if one of my batteries are pooched.

The charger seems to be working fine.

So how do I know which one is pooched. I bought the boat used and it's 4 years old. They are Interstate batteries and are fully topped up.

Thanks in advance for answers.

It doesn't matter which one is pooched, if you have to replace one then you have to replace both as you won't get good results with one stronger and one weaker (older). I've used the extreme maxx from walmart and they are awesome. What type of charger are you using?

It doesn't matter which one is pooched, if you have to replace one then you have to replace both as you won't get good results with one stronger and one weaker (older). I've used the extreme maxx from walmart and they are awesome. What type of charger are you using?

It's a Minnkota battery charger.

I have a Nautilus deep cycle battery. It always shows 12.7 Voltage. However, it can NOT be fully charged (about 70~80 %)

It might be not enough for trolling motor. Wonder if I can use it as starting battery?

Edited by linweir