Friday Afternoons

Tom S

Got out for a few hours this afternoon to play with some sunnies. Bright day, clear water, vintage fiberglass fly rod and matching reel, doesn't get much better. Lots of willing takers, all dressed up in their best colours. Some much needed stress relief.

6BDCCDB5-DC10-434B-9E6C-42518985A979.jpg

On our river Tom? Tried a fly rod a few times, just can't get the rhythm right. I was in town today, nicest day of the year so far. Way to go. Nice to get the mind off other things for even a hour or so. I hope to get to Port Bruce next week for some big girl perch, I hear they are hitting. Depending on winds maybe we can get out one afternoon for a few hours soon. Only 1.5 hrs from us or so. WEATHER PERMITTING. The lake has looked like Oahu's north shore every single afternoon since last October.

Nice and on a fly. What presentation were you using? Fly? I like to use the skud here for perch. Weighted and non.

Sneaky Pete slider at first, then a McGinty once the aggressive ones had worn themselves out. I'd try to cast towards a good sized fish sitting in pockets in the rushes and hope that the little ones wouldn't hit it first.

On our river Tom? Tried a fly rod a few times, just can't get the rhythm right. I was in town today, nicest day of the year so far. Way to go. Nice to get the mind off other things for even a hour or so. I hope to get to Port Bruce next week for some big girl perch, I hear they are hitting. Depending on winds maybe we can get out one afternoon for a few hours soon. Only 1.5 hrs from us or so. WEATHER PERMITTING. The lake has looked like Oahu's north shore every single afternoon since last October.

Not the Grand, little farm pond. I was pretty rusty for the first bit, but picked up the rhythm after a while. Great day to be out there. I'll let you know if I have a free day for perch. I figured the lake would be pretty rough these past few weeks with all the wind and weather changes. Bass on their nests yet?

We don't have a beach anymore Tom. The water is up against the breakwall. First time in 21 years. Usually this time of year the water is calm and Gin clear. With all this wind the water is smashing against all the walls all day long. Calmer at night. I can't see the bottom through all the gravy. If they are here I can't see how eggs wouldn't wash away. They would have to fight to stay in one spot. I wonder what the biologists would have to say about Bass spawning in rough water. There was a paddle boat smacking against the wall yesterday, it was gone in an hour down the lake. I haven't set foot on the beach yet, what beach. Many here including me have erosion, my massive armor rocks the size of a VW slid down 5 feet or more. No idea how I'm going to fix that.

We kept a small sunfish in a large aquarium for almost a year. Very pretty fish. Fed it food designed for large tropicals. Freeze dried shrimp. And guppies when they were on sale. Was fun to watch. Very interactive. It would come right up to the glass when you walked in the room.

we released it when it got a bit big. I guess it was like a large off boat live-well.

Here is a pic from the acquarium. We had lots of weed and rocks for it to hide in.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/Creekwood_01/media/DSC_0623-1.jpg.html

Edited by Canuck