Sturgeon spawn is on!!!

Bill, their so chill you can just grab the tail. I haven't done it but I've watched as rrfn collects for the hatchery

Akri, we smoke a few. Maybe 10 per year ish. Again, I don't because it's illegal, but my wife's uncle does.

Biggest I've seen was the one I caught on walleye opener 2014, no official measurements but I'd say 8' around 90-100lbs

I've seen bigger watching the spawn though. Probably around 140lbs free

Edited by manitoubass2

Awesome, hows the sturgeon population over there?

It's unreal. I have no scientific numbers but I'd say in 200km of river it's in the millions

If I sit on the patio at night, you can watch them jump, thousands, hours on end

Truly beautiful

Edited by manitoubass2

We have them here in the St.Lawrence also but you are not allowed to fish for them or keep them. Last year they found 4 of them locally in the river that had been cut open and the eggs removed then the rest of the fish just thrown back into the river. Last I checked they have not caught the person/persons who did it.

They are such an awesome looking fish.

We have them here in the St.Lawrence also but you are not allowed to fish for them or keep them. Last year they found 4 of them locally in the river that had been cut open and the eggs removed then the rest of the fish just thrown back into the river. Last I checked they have not caught the person/persons who did it.

They are such an awesome looking fish.

Happens here too, unfortunately

But, we can't fish for them, but mnr will allow a c&r photo.

I still try my hardest to stray from them as they are major nuisance when walleye fishing

I posted a photo years back of I think 4 fish netted and left in like 8" of water to die, ill see if I can find the pic

Edited by manitoubass2

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20130626/NEWS/306269945

They are in Lake Erie but very rare to see one or even hear of one being caught, that article is from 2013.

Actually, sturgeon hook ups aren't really that rare in the Eastern Basin of Erie at all. The issue is, because 95% of the fishing is bass and walleye on spinning tackle, it's just that...hook ups. A 4 footer will peel you clean in no time.

Actually, sturgeon hook ups aren't really that rare in the Eastern Basin of Erie at all. The issue is, because 95% of the fishing is bass and walleye on spinning tackle, it's just that...hook ups. A 4 footer will peel you clean in no time.

A 24" sturgeon will spool you lol. They can fight like crazy, or just sit on bottom, nothing you can do to make them come up on walleye gear

But.... My biggest one came on 8lb test and a 6'6" rod. It took an hour but I got her. Although I felt like my rod was gonna snap the whole battle lol

Sturgeon make the most insane runs ever.

I can believe that, even the bigger carp I have caught would have been more of a mystery if I hadn't been in a boat to follow my line.

It's unreal. I have no scientific numbers but I'd say in 200km of river it's in the millions

If I sit on the patio at night, you can watch them jump, thousands, hours on end

Truly beautiful

That is encouraging Rick evolved through hundreds of thousands of years and still a healthy population, thanks for the pics

^correct. Although rare, I would actually believe 10 reported sightings each year for sure .