Abec Bearings

guastels

Ordered orange seal from china....Best thing i ever done for my bait casters. Lews, Abu and Daiwa. Greatly improved casting ease and distance.

I left the seals on i read you can get better results removing at least 1 side rubber cover?

Did 5 or six reels 3 bearings each for a lil more than the price of 1 set of boca

I'd also liked the hedgehog studio tool it was super easy to use and didn't risk scoring shafts

20170517_2127341.jpg

Edited by 206

Buddy has the ceramics in his float reel. I can hear them standing beside him. Ya smooth as hell, but annoying.

To be totally honest I've never understood people's obsession with 'upgrading' bearings on centerpins. If you're worried about start-up you would be focusing on reducing the weight of the spool to reduce the inertia that needs to be overcome. 'Spin Time' is really a bad measure of how good a reel is, but if you're worried about that increase the weight of the spool to increase momentum and give a longer spin time. Bushings would be smoother than bearings once broken in if you're worried about smoothness.

Just seems like a lot of money to 'improve' things that should have been considered during the design stage. Take a look at aerial centerpin reels - lightweight spools with very minimal bearing systems for what I think is the ideal way to design a centerpin

Baitcasters on the other hand could benefit from improved bearings, as they are lightweight spools running at height speed. I think ceramics are a bit overkill, high-tolerance stainless bearings should be more than sufficient.

To be totally honest I've never understood people's obsession with 'upgrading' bearings on centerpins. If you're worried about start-up you would be focusing on reducing the weight of the spool to reduce the inertia that needs to be overcome. 'Spin Time' is really a bad measure of how good a reel is, but if you're worried about that increase the weight of the spool to increase momentum and give a longer spin time. Bushings would be smoother than bearings once broken in if you're worried about smoothness.

Just seems like a lot of money to 'improve' things that should have been considered during the design stage. Take a look at aerial centerpin reels - lightweight spools with very minimal bearing systems for what I think is the ideal way to design a centerpin

Exactly, I starting with centrepins back in the early 80's with British bushing reels and was taught the trotting method of presenting the bait where you were in constant contact with the spool holding back the float so the bait was presented first. Little do people realize the current at the surface is almost always faster than at the bottom and letting your float run with the current with your super dooper abecs only results in the float dragging your bait at an unnaturally fast speed along the bottom behind the float. I was taught to keep your mainline off the water and the float tilted back towards you, no hero drifts , you lose that control .

Edited by dave524

All this talk about bearings, the 80's and float reels got me thinking! So I dug through some old storage bins and thankfully found my first float reel!! About 30 years ago I wanted to make the switch from a spinning reel to a float reel but with a young family and a mortgage, well, you all know the story. At the time, I was through my apprenticeship as a general machinist by a few years and figured I'd just make one!

So, it's caught a bunch of fish, needs cleaned, glass beaded and re-anodized BAD but....don't laugh......here it is!!

20170518_120345.jpg

20170518_120310.jpg

Gleaming the cube, lol

Skateboarding was life back in the 80's lol

If you guys havent already........Go find and watch "Bones Brigade: An Autobiography" Its super entertaining for anyone who was tied to that era/culture back in the day

Used to be on Netflix but for some reason they snatched it off of there?

Nice. When will you start a production run?

Thanks! Truthfully, I've thought many times I should do a redesign, test and take float reels to market. After 30 years in manufacturing/machining I have so many contacts to get components CNC machined, anodized and assembled, it would be relatively easy...if I could dedicate the time.

Jeesus, wow!!!!

Hehe..not that great really. It was my first crack at it and I know I could make one so much better now. But it landed more than a few bows!

that thing looks badass as heck

Funny you say that...I had a guy approach me while standing in Bowmanville Creek and offer to buy it! I laughed but he wanted one that nobody else had.

Nice Grimsbylander, sure beats the Grice and Young stamped metal POS I started with. Backplate looks like my old knurled rim Stanton but you did your own spool design.

The spool was unique. I didn't have access to high speed machines back in the day so I made copper electrodes and used an EDM machine to burn out the spoke pattern. There are a hundred better ways to do it now!! lol Thanks

That,s a sweet pin bud.

Thanks Brian. When I would catch a fish on it, it was more about the fact "I made it" than how it performed. Though I can say it never let me down and still spins smooth with the original bearings.

Thanks! Truthfully, I've thought many times I should do a redesign, test and take float reels to market. After 30 years in manufacturing/machining I have so many contacts to get components CNC machined, anodized and assembled, it would be relatively easy...if I could dedicate the time.

You should. Design it with lapped brass bearings like John Milner offers and sell it as a proper trotting reel.

You should. Design it with lapped brass bearings like John Milner offers and sell it as a proper trotting reel.

You have me thinking Tom...I'll have to do some research on those reels. I'm not familiar with the lapped brass bearings either.

You have me thinking Tom...I'll have to do some research on those reels. I'm not familiar with the lapped brass bearings either.

A very nice job on that reel! The lapped brass bearings are old school, prior to the 1960's few reels had ball bearings.