Does anyone have a list of things to take on a fly-in trip

Big Cliff

I am just trying to make sure I have all the bases covered without over doing it. I'm sure some of you have a list of things you take, if so, could you post it please. Duration is 6 days if that helps and we are flying in so we are limited to 150 lbs of freight each.

Thanks

Cliff

What kind of fly in. To a lodge,American plan? isolated cabin, tent camp, pitch your own tent?. What kind of fishing, lakers, specs, walleyes, slimey old pike

So much to consider

150lbs each is pretty generous. Some outfitters have deals, like if you order the food and drinks ahead of time they fly it in free.

You get made fun of If you have to much stuff. Worst I dealt with was 700lbs of just food and snacks. Another example was 24 cases of beer for 6 days.

Worst thing I saw--- was the camp change day was poor weather. We told the guys we would make a trip but might have to turn around so they should take there sleeping bags, toiletries and medication and some food on their person, incase the second plane (with the rest of their gear) couldn't make it in. They bravely decide they only needed their fishing tackle and left in the beaver and got into the camp. The 180 with their food, sleeping bags, meds, change of clothes didn't get there till the second day. It was early season, cold, wet and windy.

Also flying in cases of water or the blue jugs is your biggest waste of useful weight! Get a water treatment system/processor. Some good ones around 100$ will filter 2L of water per minute.

IMO a big tackle box isn't necessary either, ask your outfitter what they are using to catch fish, he will probably only suggest a few colours of jigs and a couple plugs or spoons.

I took a quick look at the list and looks like way to much stuff to me. Your outfitter should look after some of those things relating to the cabin and boats and motors. I would ask if there is a coffee pot and utensils etc, axe....

And remember if the fridge and freezer are propane (probably are) if you pack it full in hot weather, it will not function as expected.

Can I ask which outfit and which lake?

You really need to find out what the cabin is already outfitted with before putting together a list. One thing I always like to bring is Baileys instead of cream/sugar for my coffee in the morning. Doesn't need to be kept cold.

150lbs each is pretty generous. Some outfitters have deals, like if you order the food and drinks ahead of time they fly it in free.

You get made fun of If you have to much stuff. Worst I dealt with was 700lbs of just food and snacks. Another example was 24 cases of beer for 6 days.

Worst thing I saw--- was the camp change day was poor weather. We told the guys we would make a trip but might have to turn around so they should take there sleeping bags, toiletries and medication and some food on their person, incase the second plane (with the rest of their gear) couldn't make it in. They bravely decide they only needed their fishing tackle and left in the beaver and got into the camp. The 180 with their food, sleeping bags, meds, change of clothes didn't get there till the second day. It was early season, cold, wet and windy.

Also flying in cases of water or the blue jugs is your biggest waste of useful weight! Get a water treatment system/processor. Some good ones around 100$ will filter 2L of water per minute.

IMO a big tackle box isn't necessary either, ask your outfitter what they are using to catch fish, he will probably only suggest a few colours of jigs and a couple plugs or spoons.

I took a quick look at the list and looks like way to much stuff to me. Your outfitter should look after some of those things relating to the cabin and boats and motors. I would ask if there is a coffee pot and utensils etc, axe....

And remember if the fridge and freezer are propane (probably are) if you pack it full in hot weather, it will not function as expected.

Can I ask which outfit and which lake?

We are going with Mattice Lake Outfitters and will be going to Vick Lake. Neither of us drink very much so booze won't be a big part of our cargo. We might take a mickey of brandy and perhaps one of rye but that would be about all. I bought some water purification tablets and my son has a "life straw" system so we aren't going to be flying in a lot of water either.

Apart from 10 lbs of potatoes, 3 lbs carrots, 3 lbs onions, some peppers, 2 lbs bacon, a couple of nice steaks, some chicken, some ground beef, a couple of dozen eggs, cheese, snack food (and a few odds and ends) everything else flower, sugar, bread, pancake mix and bisquick will make up the bulk of the rest of our stuff.

I hear you on the tackle, my tackle box probably weighs close to 50 lbs, 20 lbs of that is mostly sinkers, big heavy sinkers which I would never use for walleye. I will be taking a good selection of jigs, a few choice crank baits, a couple of spoons and a few spinners but that's about it.

I'm not too worried about us being over weight but I am trying to make sure we don't get there and go "oh crap, we should have brought" LOL. I've picked up a lot of good tips so far but I am always willing to learn!

Our camp is quite remote, as close as I can tell there isn't anyone within about 25 miles of us, the camp seems to be well provisioned, propane stove, hot and cold running water, fish fryer, two freezers,

That's a nice part of the country. From what I've heard Mattice has well outfitted camps.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need.

When I go up fishing with the plane. I take a boat, motor, outboard fuel, tent, sleeping bags, food, kitchen, fishing tackle, etc with me and it's about 200lbs, with stuff for 2 guys. Now we are roughing it and eating a lot of dried food. But comfortable. Realistically 150lbs is a ton of stuff for one person.

That's a nice part of the country. From what I've heard Mattice has well outfitted camps.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need.

When I go up fishing with the plane. I take a boat, motor, outboard fuel, tent, sleeping bags, food, kitchen, fishing tackle, etc with me and it's about 200lbs, with stuff for 2 guys. Now we are roughing it and eating a lot of dried food. But comfortable. Realistically 150lbs is a ton of stuff for one person.

Thanks, I appreciate your in put!

Cliff ole boy, don't bring a sack of potatoes.........instead bring LARGE Can of White Potatoes.....they are already peel and cooked, you just slice or dice them to your liking, add salt, pepper and garlic powder and you will have the best panned fried potatoes EVER.....good for breakfast and dinner....we always take a 6 lb can of these from Sam's Club and there are NEVER any left afterwards. As a matter of fact they always ask for more...... btw the first time I brought that HUGE 6 lb can I got laughed at..........not anymore........ :)

Oil and flour for cooking fish

There was this guy that used to come with us once in a while. All he brought was a loaf of bread and strawberry jam. He caught everything else he ate

Cliff ole boy, don't bring a sack of potatoes.........instead bring LARGE Can of White Potatoes.....they are already peel and cooked, you just slice or dice them to your liking, add salt, pepper and garlic powder and you will have the best panned fried potatoes EVER.....good for breakfast and dinner....we always take a 6 lb can of these from Sam's Club and there are NEVER any left afterwards. As a matter of fact they always ask for more...... btw the first time I brought that HUGE 6 lb can I got laughed at..........not anymore........ :)

You can't make French fries out of canned potatoes, how you going to have fish and chips?

Rye bread and strawberry jam is my Opas grocery list for fishing lmao. He complains about me cause I bring a week of mountain house packs. Every pound counts lol. Was up around Wawa on Saturday fish were all over shallow and deep. Snow in the bush still.