Anybody tried this?

kickingfrog

$44 US, someone out there must think we were all born at night...last night and pull up our pants with vise grips. After 21 years I've still got the $1.99 version, insert turn and flip over the lever.

Not really a fair comparison. Yours doesn't drain the bilge when you are on plane. That's like comparing the price of a motor bike to a CCM 10 speed.

Sure it does... you pull it out when under power and put it back in before you stop! How we drained our boats as 8 year olds ... and still do. Now a bigger boat with limited access to the plug, I'd question how well that ping pong ball seats when stationary, as there certainly isn't considerable pressure when it's only 8" below the surface.

Edited by irishfield

Sure it does... you pull it out when under power and put it back in before you stop! How we drained out boats as 8 year olds ... and still do. Now a bigger boat with limited access to the plug, I'd question how well that ping pong ball seats when stationary, as there certainly isn't considerable pressure when it's only 8" below the surface.

:worthy: Got that one right.

Sure it does... you pull it out when under power and put it back in before you stop! How we drained our boats as 8 year olds ... and still do. Now a bigger boat with limited access to the plug, I'd question how well that ping pong ball seats when stationary, as there certainly isn't considerable pressure when it's only 8" below the surface.

Yup. It was the way I was taught. Scared the crap out of me the first time my pop did it. Thought we were going down.LOL

Then you boys can all go back to 12' aluminums so you can reach the plug when on plane. I'm at the age that I don't really need or want a boat that I have to care if it can drain while on plane. It better not leak and for those rainy days, there's a switch on the console that says bilge!

I've seen a similar thing on salt style fishing boats ( Grady Whites, Prolines, Makos ) with self bailing cockpits, but they have always been at the back ABOVE the waterline. Helps to keep your feet dry if backing down hard or everyone runs to the back, I definitely would not leave a boat moored over night with that .

On the big boats we have what we call a scupper drain or two. They are strainers set in the floor of the boat that are just 90ed to the outside on the back of the boat above the waterline. They keep water above the deck from filling the bilge when as you said backing down but they are also for hosing off the deck without putting fish slime and other organics in the bilge. After the day is done we put the boat on an angle and then break out the mop and bucket. The boats have an onboard raw water hose that we then hose down the deck with and the boat doesnt stick on the next trip.

Art

When I find some time, I'm going to install a Flow-Rite remote drain plug on my Ranger. The drain plug location is up underneath the built-in extension and a stretch to install. These remote plugs are very popular for that reason.

Just put the plug in from the outside.

S.

this is an incredible idea if it works...but not a $50 incredible idea.

If a drain plug is 4 bucks, id pay no more than 10 for this.

Was having a walk about through Cabelas this morning window shopping. My granddaughter loves going there to look at all the stuffed wild life and the 2017 series kid rod combos. Just like her poppy, can never have enough. LOL

Anyways, while looking around, I came across this little device. On sale for much less then the $50 US. Didn't see anything fancy about it. A sliding plunger. That was about it. Anyhoo, thought I would pass on the savings to those that were interested in buying one. They were in the high $30 range.