So You Like Ice Fishing?

DRIFTER_016

How much snow? -45 I can deal with (lived in Edmonton for a year) a 2k hike in 3 feet of snow, I can not.

We need more snow. Only 2"-3" on the lakes and 4"-5" in the bush.

Can't sled up to my cabin from the lake at this time because there isn't enough snow.

If there still isn't enough by early February I'm going to have to start hauling snow off the lake to have a good enough trail to haul my building materials in.

Is the sun closer to you then here?

I can deal with the -27 and sun with no wind.

Today it was -7 and damp as hell. Went right through me.

When we were out saturday, -18 and sunny. Beauty day.

Sunday was -13 with all that snow. Felt much colder.

This morning we had about 400 yards of good smooth ice here. Smooth enough kids down the lane played shinny here Sunday. It was a possibility that we could get to 10 foot depths easily. I was ready to call Fish Farmer and let him know. It's a good spot because the ducks feed there all fall an latter if it doesn't freeze. Usually huge icebergs because the wind piles it and no way to get out there unless you are a Himalayan goat. Today at 4PM green grass and sandy beach. Dave you can send some ice down here for the southern Ont. hardwater guys.

It's always -20 on the top of #5 Blast Furnace on the Bay on a nice day. I really miss that.

And this AM there is another 300 yards of somewhat smooth ice out here. How does that much water freeze overnight when they said it was +3 last night??????? Wind chill must be real, because she was a blowin' hard here all night, must have been from NW because no icebergs. I thought the water sloshing around in the toilet from wind down the vent stack last night was going to splash out of the toilet.

Fish Farmer looking good for you ice trailblazer nuts so far for Erie. Ask me tomorrow might have the beach back, crazy ice.

A dog wandered out onto the ice on the Grand River below the Dunnville Dam the other day and went through. The couple that are the Dog's owner also went through trying to get to the Dog. Lucky there were people close by and heard the cries for help. Dunnville rescue Zodiac was launched and all 3 are fine because of a lightning fast response of the Rescue team and someone watching over them from above for sure. Puppy went to the local vets for a check up and the couple were treated at the local hospital and were released soon after. I hope the couple went and bought Lotto Max tickets after they got warm and dry.

I am not going to preach to the choir but there is a lesson to pass onto others not so ice savvy like these lucky folks.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Just hit 50 F at 10 pm, going to be picking nightcrawlers in January soon.

Edit: up to 53F when we got up at 7am and it rained most of the night, only ice in Niagara will be in my Forty Creek today.

Edited by dave524