Tim Hale's huts are out

Big Cliff

For a person that's looking into ice fishing for the first time. What's a good rate for a hut that supplies the gear and bait?

http://www.timhalesfishhuts.com/index.php/our-rates

His rates are very competitive.

As for gear just pick up a combo at Crappy tire; then once you decide whether you like ice fishing or not you can expand on your equipment?

Dan.

For a person that's looking into ice fishing for the first time. What's a good rate for a hut that supplies the gear and bait?

Pump

Sail has a st croix combo on sale right now and the abu veritas combo is only about 40 bucks.

That, plus a couple of buckshot jigs and some frozen minnows and you will be set for ice fishing. No equipment rental needed. If you enjoy the stationary game then consider moving on from there and grabbing a flasher etc. First you definitely need to decide whether you like ice fishing though for sure.

Edited by AKRISONER

How are his spots on the trout grounds? only ever rented a place for Perch.

I have always had good luck with Tim Hales on the trout/whitie grounds. He goes around 12-14km out, on white shoal. I have tried most of the operators on the south/east side of the lake, and tims is hands down the best IMO. Always the best equipment, his huts are awesome, and they are just generally good guys. There are some shady operators on simcoe.

S.

Hopefully we can get ice far out then definitely will book with tim hales for laker whitefish. Never have I booked withhim, but over the phone, they seem very friendly and courteous.

I have used until now Family ice cabins out of gilford. Used his services twice and planning to go again this Feb. His rates are $40 per person. The huts are cozy and he provides his version of a toilet (bucket with toilet seat) which works great lol. That way you don't have to use the public outhouse.

Edited by huzzsaba

Family Ice Cabins, I think is ran by Dave, who lives about 3 or 4 houses from the end of Gilford road.

I haven't rented his huts; but have used his pay for use parking, in front of his house. Very nice guy and his kids are great helping with everything.

His little parking lot does fill up in a hurry; but I leave my keys with him, so he can jockey the truck around. Been doing it for years and never had any issues.

If anyone wants his number, send a PM?

Dan.

Hey Pump, you have been given good ideas so far but I'm not sure if you are aware you can use two lines at the same time per person on the ice. So on the lower cost side is a 2 rod and 2 reel combo at Can Tire I would grab to get you started. I have used those Lightning rod's and they are decent for what you pay. Just get better line is all

^^^

I was thinking of those rods and I was thinking of buying a tip up. If I were to go ice fishing it would have to be with someone who has all the gear or rent a hut. Buying a flasher would be sweet but I don't think that's in my budget just yet.

Most hut rentals will have stuff to buy that you will need. If you need.

Your post brought back the days of just tip ups and not knowing what was under the ice. If you want to feel the full effect of the old days, just get a couple of tip ups and try different depths.

Thanks for making me remember the ole days.

Crap, I need to charge my finder battery for the weekend. LOL

Family Ice Cabins, I think is ran by Dave, who lives about 3 or 4 houses from the end of Gilford road.

I haven't rented his huts; but have used his pay for use parking, in front of his house. Very nice guy and his kids are great helping with everything.

His little parking lot does fill up in a hurry; but I leave my keys with him, so he can jockey the truck around. Been doing it for years and never had any issues.

If anyone wants his number, send a PM?

Dan.

Ice Cabins out of Gilford is run by a guy named Peter. He just refers people to Dave who want parking close by. It is my understanding that Peter is not putting out huts this year due to his health.

Most hut rentals will have stuff to buy that you will need. If you need.

Your post brought back the days of just tip ups and not knowing what was under the ice. If you want to feel the full effect of the old days, just get a couple of tip ups and try different depths.

Thanks for making me remember the ole days.

Crap, I need to charge my finder battery for the weekend. LOL

I did the old days when I was in HS. Our science class did a 2 day trip to Lake Simcoe. They provided us with wooden tip ups and a bucket of minnows. I remember them telling us to drop our bait to the bottom and lift your bait a foot or 2 off the bottom. This trip was so much fun, I only went so I can get out of school.