Atv with tracks?

pike slayer

I have a 2016 polaris sportsman 450. I was thinking of getting a set of tracks for it. Track companies are claiming you can get tracks for atvs down to 300cc and they are suppose to run fine when geared properly.

I only get out ice fishing 4-5times a year and insurance for my old beater sled being around $400 for the year doesn't seem worth it $100 a trip. I read online that they are super slow but unstoppable and I don't care to win any races. And that the tracks clog up with slush and ice. Can't you just chip it out like a sled?

So continue paying insurance on my beater or get a set of tracks? I plan on picking up a used set. Ppl are asking around $2500 used.

If all you wanna do is run across lakes, then I see their use. They seem to work well in deep snow, but they absolute destroy every trail they touch, fuel economy will be awful and it will be pretty gutless on that 450 motor. Sure that's the best price you can get for insuring an old sled?

The older tracks are too hard on smaller atvs

But newer tracks gives you smaller sprockets for smaller machines. The only problem with that is. Most tracks limit you to 65% of topend But with a smaller sprocket. It can be 40%.

So if your machine did 100k your topend would be 40k. At full throttle and no one would run at full throttle so your cruising speed would be about 25 k. If that is good enough. Then tracks are the way to go

I had a 2003 arctic 500 cc 4x4 atv

I had tjd tracks for it cost Close to 4000$

I found every yr I was putting rear wheel bearing every yr

I was told by dealer it's like putting your emergency brake on car and driving ,makes a lot of torque on rear end and bearing

I just sold and bought new atv but wouldn't put tracks on

I went for the tracks for my 450. They are geared specifically for the bike.

I went back and forth on what to get. My main reasons for going for the tracks.

Never getting stuck these things are like a tank. Don't want to test it in slush but from what I have watched it should be able to get out.

They raise your bike extra so you get lots of extra clearance

Your footprint is very wide, The docs say reduce your weight distribution

One toy to maintain

One toy to pay for insurance

One toy to find storage

I wont be winning any races but that ok for me. I have not found my top speed yet .. Deep snow slows you down and no snow is bumpy :whistling:

If I lived close to the lake and had the room for storage I would have both an ATV and Sled.

If I lived up north maybe just a sled.

Storage was a issue for me and I had to choose.

Edited by LeXXington

I looked at an atv with tracks in the spring. Almost bought it but I sat and pondered the idea for a few days and decided against it.

I want use out of a machine and multi function if possible. I didnt really see that with tracks

I like my older sleds, but if I get anything else its going to be a "gator" style atv with multiple functions. Yeah the price goes up 10 fold, but I use these machines alot and they are def. Worth it IMO.

The cool thing about a gator is you could really do some killer back lake fishing. Almost nothing will get one stuck if your reasonable

They are surprisingly good on gas too. A tank lasts over 30 hours of use.

In your case id stick to a snowmobile

Edited by manitoubass2

I unfortunately don't have a garage yet just a large shed and a lean to for now. I bought a 2003 polaris rmk 700 8 years ago for $2000. I drove it for 3 years and sold it for $2500 thinking I'd buy something newer and well life got in the way and didn't buy another sled until last winter. I bought a beater that I don't trust one bit. Now years later I can't find a 03 rmk for under $2500 the prices of sleds have sky rocketed. My atv is a brand new reliable machine and which is why I was thinking tracks for it. I plan on keeping the wheeler for many years so tracks seems like a good investment. Although I was searching the depths of the Internet and ppl are saying a plow won't fit with tracks on so I'm feeling stumped right now.

I unfortunately don't have a garage yet just a large shed and a lean to for now. I bought a 2003 polaris rmk 700 8 years ago for $2000. I drove it for 3 years and sold it for $2500 thinking I'd buy something newer and well life got in the way and didn't buy another sled until last winter. I bought a beater that I don't trust one bit. Now years later I can't find a 03 rmk for under $2500 the prices of sleds have sky rocketed. My atv is a brand new reliable machine and which is why I was thinking tracks for it. I plan on keeping the wheeler for many years so tracks seems like a good investment. Although I was searching the depths of the Internet and ppl are saying a plow won't fit with tracks on so I'm feeling stumped right now.

That makes sense.

If thats the route you choose.

Almost anyone could weld an extension for a plow.

Ask any buds that weld, even if not professionally

I did it on a skid steer, made an extension 10ft long to get under tail pullies, and in all honesty I have no clue how to weld professionally