HVAC guys, some help please NF (Update)

Big Cliff

When we bought our new place in Sept. it had an electric forced air furnace in it which was about 15 years old. We decided we wanted to go propane and got quotes from three local companies and ended up going with the Outram Fuels, theirs was middle ($4528.00 taxes and installation included) and they are right across the road from us, they were a small company but professed to have the best service around.

Oct. 14 they came and installed the new furnace, an Intertherm which they told us was the only furnace approved for installation in a modular home confined space, they also told us that they couldn't install a high efficiency furnace because we have a crawl space and the condensation line from a high efficiency furnace would likely freeze in the winter.

We have had nothing but problems from day one: The exhaust fan motor was making wired noises, there was a big dent and paint chip in the door of the furnace, the electrical box was left hanging in the hall and the air conditioning coil wasn't re-installed all of which they said would be corrected within days.

Several phone calls, a visit to their office and finally an email to the general manager and they finally replaced the door, got the electrical cleaned up and got the air conditioning coil re-installed however a new problem had developed. Every time the furnace fires up there is a loud mechanical CLICK, pause then CLICK, CLICK again. They sent the technician over to check into it and he said it is something to do with the flame sensor but didn't know how to solve it and left.

Several weeks, several phone calls, many apologies and a promise that they are doing everything they can to resolve this and still nothing has been done.

Two weeks ago Sue called them again, more apologies, more promises and they told Sue they weren't billing us for the furnace until such time as the matter was resolved. Sure enough the other day they they not only billed my credit card for the full price of the furnace but a service call to come and replace the defective furnace door and to check out the noise, $217.53.

To date nothing has been done to fix the furnace and when it is running the noise from the air intake is so loud that you have to turn up the volume on the TV and it's 40' away from where the furnace is. I think we've been ripped off and I know we have been lied to now on several occasions but I'm not sure what I should do. I have lost all confidence in Outram and Intertherm.

Anyone in the HVAC business close to Lindsay that can help me? I will gladly pay traveling time or whatever I just need someone that knows their stuff to help me sort this mess out and if it involves putting a new furnace in then I guarantee you'll get the business.

AMAZING!

The day after I posted on here I get a a phone call from Outram Fules; The part is in to fix the furnace. They came yesterday and installed some new part and the clicking noise is gone and (I don't understand why but) the noise from the air intake is really reduced and quite acceptable now!

Edited by Big Cliff

Definitely make a call to the credit card company, cancel the payment, call outram and tell them you've done that and you expect the unit to be removed at their expense and coordinate someone else to get something else in so you're not without heat for too long

No sure the cancelling the charges on the CC will work but it would get the company attention.

DO NOT get anyone else to look at the issues. Its an easy out for the company.. Oh it was working fine until "so,so" looked at it.

I would be reviewing the contract, and make arrangements to return the unit.

A friend of mine has a modular home with what sounds like the same kind of furnace in her hall way. Its as loud as a jet engine and makes the same series of clicks you describe when starting. She had it checked several time and apparently this is "normal". I did some research on line and found a replacement washable foam filter that did cut down on the noise.

vance

I also have a propane forced air unit in my place here in Yellowknife.

Yes, they are quite loud.

Mine also clicks when it fires up.

There is also a fan in the vent stack that works with the pressure switch.

These fans tend to crap out after a while as well. They let the system know if the flue is blocked.

They won't fire if it is blocked so the house doesn't fill with CO.

Power of suggestion worked on me. Replaced my 22 year old natural gas furnace today. Heating 2250 square feet with 80,000 BTU, up to 98% efficiency, 3 ton unit with new coil.

Included a plug for a small generator. Can get by with heat and hot water. Easy to run generator to gas water heater.

Bring on the cold weather.

I also have a propane forced air unit in my place here in Yellowknife.

Yes, they are quite loud.

Mine also clicks when it fires up.

There is also a fan in the vent stack that works with the pressure switch.

These fans tend to crap out after a while as well. They let the system know if the flue is blocked.

They won't fire if it is blocked so the house doesn't fill with CO.

My furnace bought the farm on Tuesday.

Had a new one installed as well as a new secondary regulator.

The new furnace clicks differently than the old one because it uses an igniter rather than a pilot light.

First there is a slight click as the vent blower starts and 15 or 20 seconds later there is a small click followed by two louder clicks as the igniter fires up the burner.

The lod clicks are the supply solenoid while the quieter click is the igniter.

[quote name="Big Cliff" post="987920" timestamp=

AMAZING!

The day after I posted on here I get a a phone call from Outram Fules; The part is in to fix the furnace. They came yesterday and installed some new part and the clicking noise is gone and (I don't understand why but) the noise from the air intake is really reduced and quite acceptable now!

Glad it worked out for you Cliff. maybe one of them is on OFC and read your post :) Oops don't screw OFC members.

Glad it worked out for you Cliff. maybe one of them is on OFC and read your post :) Oops don't screw OFC members.

Well I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not but yes I'm glad it all got sorted out and I always appreciate the advice from fellow members :clapping: