Winter is coming,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

misfish

Winter is upon us,,,,,,,,,,

With the change of the season finally here, I took the morning from traveling, wadding in cold waters up past the jewels, and get the toon put away. It,s been a great year thus far. Lots of miles driven,walking, and flipping away on my float boat. Lakers,white fish,perch,trout and salmon. The bass fishing was awesome as well this year. Have no complaints at all.

I look back today thinking of how much fishing I have done this year so far . It,s been a blast. Lots of traveling to unknown lakes and rivers and streams. Even marking a few trips off the bucket list. Some trips were set in stone,some where by having an early morning coffee and a muffin and just saying yup, lets go dat away.
Some of those ,dat aways, didnt always pan out, but no matter to me, I was out there, free and experincing something unknown waters to me. Some will never understand, but there are those that do. It,s the solo time that allows one time to think,relax and just enjoy what mother nature has provided. Then theres those memories of the days back when. Just that one thing, at that moment, that reminds one of a time. One like this. I had this nice big bass on, and all of a sudden it spit the lure. The lure came flying back at me, I ducked, but, it still managed to get caught in my hat. I started laughing. No one around but me. Remembered a day fishing with my pop,on Weslacoom. I had a hit, full blown hook set. It was dark, and didnt know how much line I had out. Turned out I gotten the line near my pops ear. OMG, Im laughing so hard right now. It was like yesterday. I remember his exact words, you almost tore my F$%$% ear off.
There is one thing I do miss at this time of year, The joy, of the deer hunt, Since my eye situation, I have taken extra precautions. Probly more precaution then I should, but losing your sight is scary crap. Next year, I hope to get back into it, Miss the time with my pop out in the bush, just enjoying the day ,father and son time. HELL, with my bad knee, and his wonky hip, we,ll be walking side by side now. Yup, Im getting old and broken too. Time catches up to us all. If we do manage to harvest a deer, it better be by the truck. LOL
So like the title says, winter is coming. The toon is packed away, got the ice fishing gear preped and in order. Oh the winter weather will not stop me from walking to, and wading in those cold waters, but once the lake solids up, I,ll be out there in a nice warm heated hut , fishing away,
Fishing never stops. Theres a season for somthing to fish for. Thank goodness, as I am not one that can sit ideal on weekends.
Till the next adventure, tight lines,,,,,,,,,,,,
B

Well put Brian!

Winter hit us last night and boy could you tell on the highway! In a 15 minute drive we seen 5 vehicles in the ditch, all seemingly harmless but one brand new dodge upside down with the paramedic on sight. Hopefully that fella or lady is OK!

My year has been a blast as well! Fished some new waters, missed a few planned trips because of a shifting work schedule, but tonnes of hreat fishing thats for sure!

I also got to meet a few people from OFC(akashag & wormdunker) and that was really cool! Not sure where akashag is now but if I find the link he put together one heck of a blog during his cross canada adventures!

One thing bittersweet about this season is the kids are growing up. Hockey, basketball, homework, friends etc has had me fishing solo alot more this year. I miss having the team with me but it is what it is. And I feel that sediment about being out in nature, on the water, all alone. Its very peaceful and has basically become my therapy. I also picked up this lil habit of talking to myself or singing by myself out in the middle of knowhere lol.

Ill also remember this year for the silly injuries, almost dying twice on the water, and smashing all my good rods in the SUV after a round of golf hahaha. That one hurt...

Was and still is one great year!

Great post btw Brian!

Miigwich!

just finished putting my toon away too

now i need ice

safe ice

You SIR, are a bad influance BTW. I never found so much stuff in my truck that I forgot I had,or thought I had lost. Found my little tackle tray of 100+ beads and hooks under the toon bladder. Baits everywhere. Under the seats, behind the seats. The only thing I didnt find, was the kitchen sink. LOL

Sad but true. Good post Brian, both sad and exiting at the same time. What a difference a day makes. Had to be high teens yesterday afternoon sitting on buddies deck having a cold one overlooking the lake watching him string Xmas lights. I don't know if they can see the lights from NY. Happy wife, happy Louis. Flurries blowing off the lake this morning at 8 AM with 2 plus meter waves hitting the breakwall.

This was the worse season for fishing here on Erie I have seen in the 30 years fishing it. I as well as others caught not a single solitary Jumbo Perch this year, not even a dink. The lake was like soup and the fish were deep and hard to find. 3 Pickerel and that's about it. Terrible hot.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I had a reasonable year. Not a great numbers of keeper walleye on my folks lake but some real BRUTS! Fished a few places new to me with Ernie and enjoyed my time out on the lake with the kids when they felt like getting out too.

I think my funniest moment of the year was at my folks place. The neighbour had his buddies over for the weekend and they are all down on his dock fishing. I decide to head down on our dock, have a smoke and take a few casts. Well 2nd or 3rd cast I hook into a 28" walleye. They are freaking out as they had been at it for a bit and not a single fish. So if the fishing's going to be on I might as well fire up the boat and see if I can get a few more right? Head just out 30' and start to get a few more. All I hear is "can someone teach me to fish like Superman is over there?!?!?!". Made me laugh... I gave them one keeper to eat.

Good post B and thanks for the story

Even at 11 pm last night, it was nice to just sit outside in a T. Lets see if the weather man is on this time. Minus temps called all week.

Yeah I was pretty glad I did it yesterday, I was thinking of waiting till today but being off at 1 on Fridays helped my decision because the woman is off at 5 anyway

Sad but true. Good post Brian, both sad and exiting at the same time. What a difference a day makes. Had to be high teens yesterday afternoon sitting on buddies deck having a cold one overlooking the lake watching him string Xmas lights. I don't know if they can see the lights from NY. Happy wife, happy Louis. Flurries blowing off the lake this morning at 8 AM with 2 plus meter waves hitting the breakwall.

This was the worse season for fishing here on Erie I have seen in the 30 years fishing it. I as well as others caught not a single solitary Jumbo Perch this year, not even a dink. The lake was like soup and the fish were deep and hard to find. 3 Pickerel and that's about it. Terrible hot.

I dont remember a year where every lake or river system I fished, was like bath water. Didnr matter if it was an inland lake, or chain.

Thanks for reminding me about the winters. I scraped the tires for the Nissan last spring when I put on the summers. Now I have to go out and shop for tires, and then buy them just wonderful. Here comes another OFC tire thread. I think I will bite the bullet and go for Blizzaks.

I would recommend the barum Polaris 3, they are made by Continental if my memory serves me correctly mine are dead silent when driving on asphalt as compared to other winters I've used or heard in the past are super loud, I have them on my vehicle as well as a couple friends of mine also have them on theirs and they all love them as well

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Barum/Polaris-3.htm

Some of those ,dat aways, didnt always pan out, but no matter to me, I was out there, free and experincing something unknown waters to me. Some will never understand, but there are those that do. It,s the solo time that allows one time to think,relax and just enjoy what mother nature has provided....
Fishing never stops. Theres a season for somthing to fish for. Thank goodness, as I am not one that can sit ideal on weekends.

Agree with ya Brian on many points but probably these most.

Came in just a half hour ago, poured a scotch and warming up here by the fire. Brenda came out with me today and we managed a small muskie on what was a nice day that turned bumpy on the St. Larry. A trooper we stayed out 3 hours into the dark cause she wanted to keep on the hunt for a fish on "her turn." (a true supertanker she lost in early October) She's really taken to muskie fishing this season and after spending much of the past week on the water with several old buddies from highschool, my dad, Brenda and alone, I gotta say it's always just great to be out there man no matter! Enjoy company as much as the solo time, to as you say, just think about the fish and life.

Can't say yet if the boat will be away for good. Would like a crack or two at Quinte and another two muskie outings at least, but there's no pulling the trailer when there's salt and slush on the roads. Happy to have put in the time I did into fishing this past year and really quite stoked with how well all things went; especially because only an ice fishing trip had been planned and the rest was left all up to fate, really.

Rick, if you haven't, you should read Doug's blog posts of his cross Canada trip. He's a great dood and it's cool you two met up out west.

Once the softwater season ends, I'm actually looking forward to the break. So see ya around more I guess. lol.

Rick, if you haven't, you should read Doug's blog posts of his cross Canada trip. He's a great dood and it's cool you two met up out west.

Yeah bunk, I mentioned it my post.

Id like to re read it as it was an awesome story/adventure.

You got a link handy? If not Ill have to scour my emails to find it.

We actually met up in my hometown. Originally he was gonna camp in my yard so we could fish, but my work schedule changed like 3 times and I didnt want to inconveniece him as he had his trip well planned out.

We hit the emo inn for breakfast, shared some stories, and I brought him a lb of smoked sturgeon and in return I got some canned moose that looked horrible but was amazingly tasty!

Great guy and boy im glad his US customs experience worked out, that coulda been real bad!!!

Found it! Have a read folks its a good one!

http://dougsgreatwesternroadtrip.blogspot.ca

Edited by manitoubass2

I was going to ask for a link, you read my mind. Thanks.

Lucas where did you get your Continentals? I'm close to Hamilton. I don't think you got them in the UK, that site spells tires, tyres and the prices are in Pounds!
Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I was going to ask for a link, you read my mind. Thanks.

Lucas where did you get your Continentals? I'm close to Hamilton. I don't think you got them in the UK, that site spells tires, tyres and the prices are in Pounds!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Got mine through my friend at a dealership (Budds bmw) so I'm fairly certain they are easily accessible to any other place that sells tires, Continental is a pretty large brand

not a good way to predict winter Bruce! Does he do it often? maybe he could become a weather person!

:)

Cold feet nearly do me in!!!!!

After 2 hours up waist deep, I was wishing I was on hard water in a warm hut. I drove by my fav spot Albert. Still wide open. LMAO

Cant wait to get ya up here and share some more stories. B)